Donegal vs Armagh Ulster Championship 2022

Started by Armagh18, March 31, 2022, 10:21:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

balladmaker

Armagh outclassed today, fair play to Donegal.  Armagh were so flat and that's the most concerning thing in a first round championship match ... seems like retaining Div 1 status took it out of them.  Unless something dramatic happens in Qualifiers, making All Ireland semi ... Geezer surely is gone, I take no satisfaction from saying it.

Wildweasel74

The ref was fine, Forker lucky enough not to see red but it been borderline. Even the goal on TV am not sure how it ended up in the net, seemed throw in, hard to tell so not sure how the ref decided. Armagh lads can't tackle properly but that been a steady issue with them past 5+ years.

full moon

Quote from: sidelineball on April 24, 2022, 03:45:46 PM
Quote from: full moon on April 24, 2022, 03:41:46 PM
Very disappointing from Armagh there. Much like yesterday in Antrim a team playing well in the league put in a very poor performance in Championship time.

Armagh players and fans got a bit carried away with a few early league wins against weakened teams?
I think so. It happens many teams and the media fuel a lot of it.

Armagh are at the Monaghan level now. The league and Division 1 very important and then come Championship time they underperform.

nrico2006

Quote from: full moon on April 24, 2022, 04:51:43 PM
Very disappointing from Armagh there. Much like yesterday in Antrim a team playing well in the league put in a very poor performance in Championship time.

Armagh players and fans got a bit carried away with a few early league wins against weakened teams?

Armagh are at the Monaghan level now. The league and Division 1 very important and then come Championship time they underperform.

Monaghan are a level ahead of Armagh.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

full moon

Quote from: nrico2006 on April 24, 2022, 04:54:05 PM

Probably but they often underperform in Championship.

Dreadnought

Quote from: nrico2006 on April 24, 2022, 04:54:05 PM

Are they? Monaghan flatter to deceive last 5 or 6 years overall in Championship, for what is a Division 1 mainstay team. They had better results and titles when going up the divisions in 2013 to 2015, rather than busting their nuts all Spring clinging on to Division 1 by their fingernails

bennydorano

Congratulations to Donegal on a deserved victory. Disappointed with Armagh but not hugely surprised, I wasn't buying the League hype, especially after finding out they'd been training like racehorses since November, we're a decent team but still very much developing - we don't have the steel or experience that the real top teams have.

MF Mackin was a huge loss, dont think I appreciated how good he's been all year, Crealy scored a great point but did little else, there's a few weak links but none more glaring than Hall in the HF line, we're not winning anything with that calibre of player on board. Today his presence showed how badly management misjudged Donegal, we were destroyed in the middle 8 and he was there until 10 mins into the 2nd half. Thought Grugan was excellent today, Morgan & McCabe did well enough.

We didn't have a big pile of luck today, hopefully we'll get a kind draw in the qualifiers, we'll need one to get the show back on the road.

Main Street

Donegal motored home but Armagh are not yet a busted flush.
The ref did fine, don't know what the moanings are about.

An Watcher

What way does the qualifier draw work now? Could Armagh get Mayo?

nrico2006

Quote from: tyrone08 on April 24, 2022, 04:14:29 PM
Surely the method of the "goal" wasn't allowed as it wasnt palmed in or kicked in. More fumbled in while the players were in the small rectangle

Surely if the ball is in the air and it's slapped into the net there is nothing wrong with that?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Throw ball

Was at match so haven't seen replays. In real time no one around me was surprised that goal didn't count or Forker got a yellow.

This Armagh team have a very soft under belly. It the goal had have counted I have a feeling it would have been a close finish but the disallowed goal followed by a few wides and Donegal goal meant they threw in the towel.

To be honest I wasn't overly impressed with Donegal- which says a lot about Armagh!

delgany

Quote from: An Watcher on April 24, 2022, 05:46:10 PM
What way does the qualifier draw work now? Could Armagh get Mayo?
The Preliminary Round and Round 1 ( 8 teams) are open draws.
The 4 winners from Round 1 , play off against four provincial losing finalists in rd 2.
The four winners of rd 2 enter AI Qtr finals with four provincial winners in 2 groups of 4

tyrone08

Quote from: nrico2006 on April 24, 2022, 05:55:55 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on April 24, 2022, 04:14:29 PM
Surely the method of the "goal" wasn't allowed as it wasnt palmed in or kicked in. More fumbled in while the players were in the small rectangle

Surely if the ball is in the air and it's slapped into the net there is nothing wrong with that?

That's what I am not sure about.

yellowcard

That was a massive let down for Armagh fans today, I felt it was a critical juncture for this team and that any sort of win would have been huge. However apart from a 10 minute spell after half time when they failed to capitalise on their dominance they played second fiddle for most of the match.

The forwards were most disappointing and 12 points scored tells its own tale. Turbitt looked to have the beating of his man early on but the supply dried up and Armagh reverted back to slow lateral build up play. Mackin and Crawley were cleaned out at midfield and Hall must be a brilliant trainer because he rarely produces anything during matches yet still retains his place every match.

McCabe, Morgan and McKay all done well enough but there were very few others. Back to the drawing board and at the minute the back door does not hold much appeal as Armagh are not going to win Sam. It's time to reevaluate and hopefully if we get a decent draw maybe we could still make a quarter/semi final.

Donegal surprised me by how strong they were defensively which I thought was their weakness before the game but they got bodies back and gave up very few real goal chances. I think they will have enough to beat Cavan and after that it's a 50/50 Ulster final. 

yellowcard

In real time the disallowed goal just after half time was no surprise as goalkeepers are generally an over protected species but I'd need to watch it again on tv tonight.