Donegal vs Armagh Ulster Championship 2022

Started by Armagh18, March 31, 2022, 10:21:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Average Score

Quote from: tonto1888 on April 06, 2022, 01:00:09 PM
Quote from: Average Score on April 06, 2022, 09:02:11 AM
Quote from: JP on April 05, 2022, 10:50:54 PM
Armagh might be better off saying to hell  with this game and playing a mckenna cup side!

Yip treat the game for what it is - a sham and give a few lads a run out.

And what would that achieve?

Go there. Pick the best team available. Give it our best and see what happens.

The GAA are the most non transparent organization going, 5 bans no reason why - if there was dangerous play at the time and the ref saw those 5 hit, strike, headlock, neckrolls, clothelines, binbags, handbags whatever walk up to each and give them a red card don't listen to the false outrage and then try to send a message out, surely everyone should know why they are banned.  One doesn't get banned from anything else in life without a reason and if video evidence is now being used, use it for everyone, they are now acting like lord and master again how dare you appeal we will show you - sending a message - ffs if they had proper rules and applied them consistently folk would know the message, how comes those 6 players and those 6 players alone are banned.  Is there no punishment for bib wearers for officials for each county, treat the game with the contempt it deserves a third of the team down, why risk players in an unwinable game - build for the qualifiers.

naka

I believe armagh should exhaust the appeals process right through to the DRA as this will get to the bottom of the decision regarding Rian and how he was the only one cited on video evidence .

thewobbler

Quote from: naka on April 06, 2022, 03:59:28 PM
I believe armagh should exhaust the appeals process right through to the DRA as this will get to the bottom of the decision regarding Rian and how he was the only one cited on video evidence .

Ignorance is bliss.

The role of the DRA is not to lay dispute an incident. It is to adjudicate on whether the process was followed correctly. As such it is instigated almost always as a challenge to the severity of a punishment, rather than to overturn it.

If Oisin O'Neill gets a one match ban for striking/violent behaviour, then that is the minimum sentence that can be applied. So there is no point in appealing the suspension.

Therefore everything would have to be channelled into proving either a) he didn't do it (which should be as good as impossible)  or b) a technicality with the rule book.... which is much harder to do these days as administrators now have the opportunity to correct clerical errors during the process.

Hence there's a very good reason why you never hear of the DRA these days. It's not worth anyone's while chasing up that tree. Not for open and shut cases anyhow.

Average Score

Quote from: thewobbler on April 06, 2022, 04:20:14 PM

Ignorance is bliss.

The role of the DRA is not to lay dispute an incident. It is to adjudicate on whether the process was followed correctly. As such it is instigated almost always as a challenge to the severity of a punishment, rather than to overturn it.

If Oisin O'Neill gets a one match ban for striking/violent behaviour, then that is the minimum sentence that can be applied. So there is no point in appealing the suspension.

Therefore everything would have to be channelled into proving that either a) he didn't do it (which should be as good as I'm possible)  or b) a technicality with the rule book.... which is much harder to do these days as administrators now have the opportunity to correct clerical errors during the process.

Hence there's a very good reason why you never hear of the DRA these days. It's not worth anyone's while chasing up that tree. Not for open and shut cases anyhow.

Feck me have we lost another one and him not even playing!  They will be banning Stevie from Killevey next.

Gael80

I'd say it's a given Armagh will take this to the DRA at the very least; it might even go further especially when the legal eyes get deep into the process. Armagh have effectively been taken out of the Ulster Championship so don't have a lot to lose pushing it to the legal/appeal limit.

Armagh18

Quote from: Gael80 on April 06, 2022, 04:43:01 PM

I'd say it's a given Armagh will take this to the DRA at the very least; it might even go further especially when the legal eyes get deep into the process. Armagh have effectively been taken out of the Ulster Championship so don't have a lot to lose pushing it to the legal/appeal limit.
Far from over and we're just right. Still have a feeling we'll beat Donegal with or without the 4 lads.

David McKeown

Well it can't go further in order to take a case to the DRA you must agree to be bound by the verdict of the DRA. As Wobbler says it's harder to challenge cases to that level now but I don't agree with the assessment that is only the two types of cases wobbler has cited. That said even thinking about the DRA at this stage is putting the cart before the horse there's a long way to go yet I hope.

It strikes me as shambolic though that no one seems to actually know what offence these players are facing. Some here are speculating it's a category iii infraction for contributing to a melee. Others saying it's category iv. I think fans are entitled to know what exactly is being alleged. Particularly if as is being alleged the GAA want to cut out this sort of thing.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Gael80

Quote from: David McKeown on April 06, 2022, 04:57:56 PM

Well it can't go further in order to take a case to the DRA you must agree to be bound by the verdict of the DRA. As Wobbler says it's harder to challenge cases to that level now but I don't agree with the assessment that is only the two types of cases wobbler has cited. That said even thinking about the DRA at this stage is putting the cart before the horse there's a long way to go yet I hope.

It strikes me as shambolic though that no one seems to actually know what offence these players are facing. Some here are speculating it's a category iii infraction for contributing to a melee. Others saying it's category iv. I think fans are entitled to know what exactly is being alleged. Particularly if as is being alleged the GAA want to cut out this sort of thing.

True, but the lawyers will know already and are likely as we text going through the charges and process with a forensic eye. Lets hope the championship isn't impacted by legal/appeal issues, but and I might be wrong, I think Armagh will challenge this. Making GAA units be bound by a DRA decision is only a GAA rule, this could always be challenged in a legal sense if the will was there.

thewobbler

"Go even further?"

Where to? Michael D Higgins? The Pope?

——

"Armagh have been taken out of the Ulster Chanpionship".

Is there ever been a few seconds since last Sunday that a wee thought crossed your head that Armagh maybe, just maybe, we're the masters of their own downfall here?

——

There's exceptional ignorance of rule books. There's outlandish hope based on nothing at all. Therss extraordinary levels of bias. There's the type of militancy which only should be displayed when others have your back. And on this thread they're all merging into one unholy fucken mess.

Main Street

I'm sure Michael D would lend  a sympathetic ear to an appeal recounting the long list of injustices inflicted upon the northern GAA brethren by RTE, the media in general, the Croke Park politburo and the cabal of referees.

tyrone08

As oisin kindly told tyrone, don't appeal and take yer medicine

balladmaker

What irks me the most about the whole process is the role the media play in it.  If the ref. had an issue on the day, issue the red cards there and then and it is clear to everyone why it occurred.  However, when RTE and their pundits decide to show 5 mins of a handbags vs 30 secs of the actual game, then we have every Tom, Dick and Harry calling for suspensions ... that's what pisses me off.  Armagh are correct to challenge this all the way.

David McKeown

Quote from: Gael80 on April 06, 2022, 05:05:50 PM

True, but the lawyers will know already and are likely as we text going through the charges and process with a forensic eye. Lets hope the championship isn't impacted by legal/appeal issues, but and I might be wrong, I think Armagh will challenge this. Making GAA units be bound by a DRA decision is only a GAA rule, this could always be challenged in a legal sense if the will was there.

Well I hope Armagh have a team of lawyers looking it although if they do I don't know who they are. Not convinced any court would give much credence to a county agreeing to be bound by an arbitration panel and then seeking to have that set aside. As I say we aren't there yet though.

JoG2

Contributing to a melee is cat 3, sending off, nothing more as far as I know ie suspensions etc. Cat 4, striking etc is a banning offence

David McKeown

I haven't looked at the categories in a while but I thought striking with minimal force was also category iii.

The point I'm making though is that we are speculating here.  The appropriate bodies really should have press releases setting out exactly what the proposed suspensions are for.