6 County Assembly Elections - 5th May 2022

Started by Snapchap, February 23, 2022, 10:18:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: seafoid on May 08, 2022, 09:22:03 AM
https://m.independent.ie/news/united-ireland-referendum-within-a-five-year-timeframe-mary-lou-mcdonald-41624542.html

United Ireland referendum within a 'five year timeframe' - Mary Lou McDonald

Timeframe too short - mostly saying exactly what needs to be said. Unfortunate that a referendum timeframe was brought into it, as it allows the headline writers go with:

"United Ireland referendum within a 'five year timeframe' - Mary Lou McDonald"

rather than

"Need to start planning for what would happen after a border poll - Mary Lou McDonald"

The latter obviously being a little bit more amenable to unionists (with a small u).
i usse an speelchekor

Itchy

In case anyone is in any doubt on a United Ireland poll down south

https://twitter.com/NextIrishGE/status/1523214650590261249?t=GwIxb3RKDDIYIhJOpbxbww&s=19

And that is without any discussion on the positives of an all ireland economy or without any clear "for" position stated by FF, FG which will absolutely happen.

seafoid

Fermanagh and Tyrone were last minute additions to Northern Ireland. There would still be a Unionist majority for the 4 counties.

Rossfan

It's a nice fluffy concept for us at present.
As I've repeated many times here  the pro UI parties need to  spell out a summary at least of what the new All Ireland entity would be like in their views.
Things like Home Rule for 6 Cos, dual citizenship there, new parliament system etc, not to mention economics, flag/anthem and relationships with (hopefully by then  2 States ) Great Britain.

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

marty34

Quote from: Itchy on May 08, 2022, 11:18:45 AM
In case anyone is in any doubt on a United Ireland poll down south

https://twitter.com/NextIrishGE/status/1523214650590261249?t=GwIxb3RKDDIYIhJOpbxbww&s=19

And that is without any discussion on the positives of an all ireland economy or without any clear "for" position stated by FF, FG which will absolutely happen.

The problem is there is no interest from FF/FG etc. to starting setting out the stall/planning for a re-united.  Their mantra is, and always has been 'it's not the right time".  Never is the right time as they are rivals with SF in the 26 counties.

They really need to buy into the planning for re-uniting Ireland.

I think SF will do well in the next election in the 26 counties - this will make the difference and just as important as the election in the north.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: seafoid on May 08, 2022, 12:02:58 PM
Fermanagh and Tyrone were last minute additions to Northern Ireland. There would still be a Unionist majority for the 4 counties.

I'd be happy with us on West Bank of Foyle returning to our natural Inishowen hinterland and leave the rest of yous

armaghniac

Quote from: marty34 on May 08, 2022, 12:15:50 PM
I think SF will do well in the next election in the 26 counties - this will make the difference and just as important as the election in the north.

Doing well in elections will not get you into government in the 26 counties unless you can find someone to coalesce with and other smaller parties are worry about SF taking their voters.

However, if SF were in power in Dublin then I suspect that they would stop bad mouthing it and you would hear things like "we are improving waiting lists in the south, but cannot do so in the north because of Tory cuts".
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: armaghniac on May 08, 2022, 12:47:33 PM

Doing well in elections will not get you into government in the 26 counties unless you can find someone to coalesce with and other smaller parties are worry about SF taking their voters.

However, if SF were in power in Dublin then I suspect that they would stop bad mouthing it and you would hear things like "we are improving waiting lists in the south, but cannot do so in the north because of Tory cuts".

I canny wait tbh, real politics

marty34

Quote from: armaghniac on May 08, 2022, 12:47:33 PM

Part of the problem is FF/FG etc. give out about not going into government with SF in the 26 counties, yet they say this morning that Stomont should get up and running asap.

They don't do irony!

Regarding the election, I never said that doing well in elections will help but you should look at the past 4 or 5 opinion polls in the 26 counties.  Real good chance they'll be in power in the south soon.

That's a bigger aim for them I'd say. Then we might see some preparation and plans for re-uniting Ireland.

Clearly FF/FG are not up to it - but more importantly, not willing to.

seafoid

If the Shinners get into government in the South it will be for 5 years max. They have no answers either. There will be great excitement and then a polling collapse. Ask Labour.

marty34

Quote from: seafoid on May 08, 2022, 01:55:33 PM
If the Shinners get into government in the South it will be for 5 years max. They have no answers either. There will be great excitement and then a polling collapse. Ask Labour.

Anything better than the current farce!

Rossfan

Being against taxes and wanting everything free is grand in opposition.
I still don't get SF not putting out their view of a UI instead if saying FF and FG need to be planning.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/politics/northern-ireland-assembly-election-2022/we-will-honour-commitment-to-hold-border-poll-says-tory-party-chair-oliver-dowden-41624183.html

"Tory party chair Oliver Dowden has said the UK Government will honour the constitutional obligation to hold a border poll on the future of Northern Ireland if "there is a sustained majority" in favour of unification."

Sustained majority does not mean 27-25 following 28-27.
The DUP could in theory wipe out TUV and UUP next time for plus 10 with SF doing the same on the other side with the SDLP. for plus 8.

The milestone of largest party nationalist is not the same as the milestone for sustained majority for border poll.

marty34

Quote from: Rossfan on May 08, 2022, 02:19:12 PM
I still don't get SF not putting out their view of a UI instead if saying FF and FG need to be planning.
I'm sure SF have put out documents in regards to re-uniting Ireland but the key thing is it shouldn't be SF only driving this. All parties should be part of it but clearly only one is interested about it - along with civic nationalism including campaign's like Ireland's Future etc.

Government parties like FF and FG etc. should be driving this - but clearly, for whatever reason, have no interest.

#lipservice

Although it's taking Bertie to try to drive preparation and get a motion to submit a white paper to FF's Ard-Fheis re: boerder poll. All about the preparation.

From the Bunker

Quote from: marty34 on May 08, 2022, 02:51:08 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 08, 2022, 02:19:12 PM

Government parties like FF and FG etc. should be driving this - but clearly, for whatever reason, have no interest.

#lipservice

They have enough on their plate at the moment without having to deal with a crowd like the DUP. A united Ireland would make Sinn Fein even stronger as they are the only ones that have a presence Politically North and south.  Encouraging a united Ireland would be Kamikaze for both Parties.