Quote from: michaelg on February 09, 2022, 11:37:47 PM
Quote from: 6th sam on February 09, 2022, 10:13:13 PM
Quote from: michaelg on February 09, 2022, 05:59:59 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on February 09, 2022, 09:01:46 AM
Quote from: Franko on February 08, 2022, 08:16:29 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on February 08, 2022, 05:11:26 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on February 07, 2022, 04:03:21 PM
Quote from: general_lee on February 07, 2022, 03:57:01 PM
And if there was an actual Protestant or someone from a unionist background stripped out for Down yesterday, what's the course of action then? "Ah don't worry, it's only a bit of sledging"
In the absence of any Prods about the place, I think the Carlow lads are to be congratulated for their ingenuity and imagination.

Just a shame that the Down boys can't show the same qualities in actually getting a few more Prods into their own team.

Or even one.

(I'll leave that thought with you  ;))

Shall I correct you on that one?

Always enjoyable watching a smug tw@t making a fool of himself.

With his little emojis and everything.  ;D

It's ironic that one of the lads in questions name is actually in the report in the first post  ;D.

His Da is a proud East Belfast Glensman, born and raised, tattoos and all who helps out with our pitch maintenance.

And if some of you remember a while back I put up a post about some village idiot in Portavogie giving out about people wearing GAA tops in the village. Found out on Sunday whilst talking to a lad originally from Bangor (also not Catholic) whos daughters play camogie for us that it was another wee girl and her sister who's dad is originally from SA (not Catholic either) but living in Portavogie that the idiot was giving off about. They were wearing our tops..

Always happy to break down barriers.
Genuine question - Where was the young fella educated? If he went to a GAA playing catholoc school, arguably his involvement in the sport has more to do with that, rather than any GAA outreach.  If that's the case, his Da having a few Glentoran tattoos is kinda irrelevant.

Not sure this is the forum to be discussing where individuals went to school, but since you asked Michaelg, it's a great opportunity to enlighten the likes of yourself and EG about the realities of GAA, rather than a conveniently false narrative.
Most GAA players are introduced to the GAA at their local GAA club of which there are ~50 in County Down. Young players develop an interest either through family or friends, as it's certainly not promoted in the media in the North in the same way as soccer or rugby, though Thankfully we've moved on somewhat from the classic BBC sports bulletin "and finally GAA" afterthoughts. In our club we have several players who did/do not attend GAA schools . In some cases were bullied for playing GAA, and there has never been any interest in offering GAA sports or indeed even recognise that they exist. In the meantime , "GAA schools" are promoting soccer, rugby and other sports, and rightly so.
The relegation of Irish culture in state and even integrated schools, with the failure to put GAA on an equal footing, must be addressed if we are to get to an equal shared future , regardless of future constitutional arrangements. The continued resistance to an Irish language act is probably the clearest example of a continued reluctance by unionism and the "establishment" to respect Irish identity on an equal footing . That's the "elephant in the room".
Thankfully many individuals from a unionist background , are well ahead of unionists politicians and the state/integrated education sector , in embracing and enjoying GAA.
The realities of GAA, as you put it, are no real different to other amateur sports in NI where young players, and people new to a sport, are coached and encouraged by volunteers involved at grassroots level.
Whilst I agree that GAA used to get short shrift in local sports round-ups etc, this has not been the case for many years.  Despite the increased visibility and coverage, the numbers of Unionist people participating in GAA remains low.  The example of the Down All Irelenad winner given earlier in the thread, as far as I am aware, was from a 'mixed marriage' who came from a predominantly Nationalist area where he would have had exposure to the game in the area.  That was why I was wondering how the young fella referred to in the article began playing hurling, and became involved initially in GAA.
Finally, there are more imprtant things to resolve in this place than ensuring that GAA is put on an equal footing in all of our schools.  I like a wide variety of sports myself, and do not expect them all to be promoted equally in all schools.  If people are so concerned about what sports are being offered, then this is something that can be considered when choosing which is the right school for them.  Personally, the quality of teaching and learning and pastoral care, would be more important to me when deciding where to send a child to school.
[/b][/b][/b]
Totally agree on this, michaelg, parents will choose schools in the basis of several factors, Sport is not a major factor in that decision for most parents. I also agree that there are more important things to resolve than school sports choice, but it's another aspect of respect for all and parity of esteem . For me poverty, health, education and the economy are far more important , but sport and parity of scheme have an effect in these areas, in terms of getting us to a better place ie a vibrant, thriving, educated , respectful and healthy society.
I genuinely value your opinion michaelg, and would be interested to know if you are like all unionists I know personally , that neither understand nor care about " the protocol". I suspect the tiny 2.5% of the population that signed the protocol petition are easily led hardliners, most likely from ghettoised hard unionist communities, who are vulnerable to the Bryson/Allister/Hoey narrative. The unionists I know, are more interested in real issues , rightly want their Britishness respected, but are embarrassed by the protocol bigots. DUP and their sidekicks promoted brexit, and having used their majority position to bully their way for years, are now  shocked to find that they are not only a tiny minority in Europe, they're a tiny minority in the UK, on this island, and as per the protocol  petition , even a minority in NI. We need to sideline these dinosaurs for once and for all. Reasonable unionists like yourself Michaelg are the key to this, and consigning the DUP ethos  to history will win you many allies across the board. Over to you.

johnnycool

And if there was an actual Protestant or someone from a unionist background stripped out for Down yesterday, what's the course of action then? "Ah don't worry, it's only a bit of sledging"
In the absence of any Prods about the place, I think the Carlow lads are to be congratulated for their ingenuity and imagination.

Just a shame that the Down boys can't show the same qualities in actually getting a few more Prods into their own team.

Or even one.

It's ironic that one of the lads in questions name is actually in the report in the first post  ;D.

His Da is a proud East Belfast Glensman, born and raised, tattoos and all who helps out with our pitch maintenance.

And if some of you remember a while back I put up a post about some village idiot in Portavogie giving out about people wearing GAA tops in the village. Found out on Sunday whilst talking to a lad originally from Bangor (also not Catholic) whos daughters play camogie for us that it was another wee girl and her sister who's dad is originally from SA (not Catholic either) but living in Portavogie that the idiot was giving off about. They were wearing our tops..

Genuine question - Where was the young fella educated? If he went to a GAA playing catholic school, arguably his involvement in the sport has more to do with that, rather than any GAA outreach.  If that's the case, his Da having a few Glentoran tattoos is kinda irrelevant.

That particular fella went to the Red High in Downpatrick, then onto Jordanstown so I get where you're coming from, but he's as much a protestant as a catholic in "cultural" terms and the reason I mentioned the Da is that he's proud of his roots and absolutely no one in the club gives a flying fúck that's he's a prod from East Belfast.
There's possibly another lad on the panel who went to Regent House the former alma mater of the legendary Blair Mayne and hurling hotbed, he's U20, so might be training with the seniors but not making the panel, is on an Ulster Rugby development squad, the Dad is protestant, him mum is my cousin who like me has a Granny from Republican Portavogie, the most disgusting thing about it is that he plays for Ballycran  ;D.

We've a lad also in our club going to Regent currently, was invited to the Down U17 hurling trials, he just hadn't the time to go between football and schools rugby but he'll play with the club, protestant background, came at 10 years of age as he was mates with lads who did play, loved it, his mum and dad went with us to Cork for a National Feile and she thanked me for how welcome we'd made her and her family as she was a protestant from Cloughey and was a bit fearful at the start when her son told her he wanted to go hurling with his mates.

No one gives a shit, they genuinely don't and like all things good about the GAA, outreach will happen at the local community level where the GAA is at its strongest, it's so Cliché but it's so true.

Armagh18

Quote from: johnnycool on February 10, 2022, 09:29:54 AM

Or even one.

Genuine question - Where was the young fella educated? If he went to a GAA playing catholic school, arguably his involvement in the sport has more to do with that, rather than any GAA outreach.  If that's the case, his Da having a few Glentoran tattoos is kinda irrelevant.

That particular fella went to the Red High in Downpatrick, then onto Jordanstown so I get where you're coming from, but he's as much a protestant as a catholic in "cultural" terms and the reason I mentioned the Da is that he's proud of his roots and absolutely no one in the club gives a flying fúck that's he's a prod from East Belfast.
There's possibly another lad on the panel who went to Regent House the former alma mater of the legendary Blair Mayne and hurling hotbed, he's U20, so might be training with the seniors but not making the panel, is on an Ulster Rugby development squad, the Dad is protestant, him mum is my cousin who like me has a Granny from Republican Portavogie, the most disgusting thing about it is that he plays for Ballycran  ;D.

We've a lad also in our club going to Regent currently, was invited to the Down U17 hurling trials, he just hadn't the time to go between football and schools rugby but he'll play with the club, protestant background, came at 10 years of age as he was mates with lads who did play, loved it, his mum and dad went with us to Cork for a National Feile and she thanked me for how welcome we'd made her and her family as she was a protestant from Cloughey and was a bit fearful at the start when her son told her he wanted to go hurling with his mates.

No one gives a shit, they genuinely don't and like all things good about the GAA, outreach will happen at the local community level where the GAA is at its strongest, it's so Cliché but it's so true
Honestly heart warming to read stories like that.

blanketattack

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 10, 2022, 08:45:52 AM
Quote from: michaelg on February 10, 2022, 07:59:56 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on February 10, 2022, 12:08:15 AM
Sports, other than the GAA, suffer little from people who are too prejudiced to take part in anything Irish because they are anti-Irish.
The other argument is that Unionists have not taken part is because the GAA was a colduouse for for people from the PUL community.  Reports of sectariam abuse because of someone's perceived background, is not going to help change that.

There is a bit of both tbh. This stuff here should be stamped out.

One thing that annoys me with the sheer bigotry of it is when I read social media threads and there are neanderthals who basically call the GAA a terrorist organisation. I have been involved from the age of 5 and yes there is an Irish element to it but there has never been any form of anything sectarian to it.

To me, naming GAA Clubs and GAA competitions after members of the provisional IRA isn't inclusive and isn't welcoming to other sides of the community. Same for holding commemoration events to provisional IRA members at GAA grounds.

tiempo

Quote from: blanketattack on February 10, 2022, 10:13:35 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on February 10, 2022, 08:45:52 AM
Sports, other than the GAA, suffer little from people who are too prejudiced to take part in anything Irish because they are anti-Irish.
The other argument is that Unionists have not taken part is because the GAA was a colduouse for for people from the PUL community.  Reports of sectariam abuse because of someone's perceived background, is not going to help change that.

There is a bit of both tbh. This stuff here should be stamped out.

One thing that annoys me with the sheer bigotry of it is when I read social media threads and there are neanderthals who basically call the GAA a terrorist organisation. I have been involved from the age of 5 and yes there is an Irish element to it but there has never been any form of anything sectarian to it.

To me, naming GAA Clubs and GAA competitions after members of the provisional IRA isn't inclusive and isn't welcoming to other sides of the community. Same for holding commemoration events to provisional IRA members at GAA grounds.

I would like to hear your critique of the naming of Sands McSwineys GAA club in Scotland.

fearsiuil

Or even one.

No one gives a shit, they genuinely don't and like all things good about the GAA, outreach will happen at the local community level where the GAA is at its strongest, it's so Cliché but it's so true.
Great to hear, thanks for the insight.

seafoid

NI is hopelessly polarised but taken out of that context most people in the South wouldn't care if someone from the North was protestant or even prosedant.
Any unionists I met in London were as good as Irish in the eyes of the locals and easier to talk to than Tans.

imtommygunn

Significant numbers in the north don't care either seafoid. You only hear about the ones that do.

Franko

Quote from: seafoid on February 10, 2022, 12:26:14 PM
NI is hopelessly polarised but taken out of that context most people in the South wouldn't care if someone from the North was protestant or even prosedant.
Any unionists I met in London were as good as Irish in the eyes of the locals and easier to talk to than Tans.

Ironically, the whole raison d'etre of this thread was because people from 'the south' were getting their knickers in a serious twist about exactly that.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Franko on February 10, 2022, 01:06:57 PM

Ironically, the whole raison d'etre of this thread was because people from 'the south' were getting their knickers in a serious twist about exactly that.
I was thinking the same thing when reading that post. Bizarre post by Seafoid.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Franko

Quote from: trueblue1234 on February 10, 2022, 01:18:33 PM
Quote from: Franko on February 10, 2022, 01:06:57 PM

I was thinking the same thing when reading that post. Bizarre post by Seafoid.

To invoke the old RUC line - I do believe it's 'a few rotten apples'.

With the Carlow GAA orchard seeing perhaps the worst of the blight

michaelg

Or even one.

Very interesting to read.  Kids should get the opportunity to play as many sports as possible, providing of course, they are in a neutral environment where politics and religion are left at the gate - No better way to break down barriers and forge lasting friendships than through playing sport or being involved in a sports club.

michaelg

Quote from: charlieTully on February 10, 2022, 08:39:20 AM

Do you follow your local gaa club Michael?
No I don't.  Grew up in a place where the nearest GAA club was a few miles away.  As I never played GAA at school, or was never invited to go along to said local GAA club, I had very little exposure to GAA.  Probally the main reason why I don't follow any local clubs.  Also, I play and am involved in a number of other sports clubs, so would not really have the time to develop much of an interest, to be honest.  Interesting that for the same reason, many people from working class protestant backgrounds, have little or no interest in rugby.

6th sam

Quote from: michaelg on February 10, 2022, 05:28:38 PM

No I don't.  Grew up in a place where the nearest GAA club was a few miles away.  As I never played GAA at school, or was never invited to go along to said local GAA club, I had very little exposure to GAA.  Probally the main reason why I don't follow any local clubs.  Also, I play and am involved in a number of other sports clubs, so would not really have the time to develop much of an interest, to be honest.  Interesting that for the same reason, many people from working class protestant backgrounds, have little or no interest in rugby.
That's disappointing Michaelg, you really need to get out more😜.  I follow my nearest soccer, rugby and cricket clubs, even though I never played any of those sports. I have been welcomed in all 3 clubs , as their members are welcomed in ours. Politics and religion do not come in to it. It literally has no relevance in the day to day running of a GAA club,  but it suits a hardline unionist agenda to promote a narrative of the GAA which is inaccurate and insulting.

I would equate the GAA with its Irish ethos to organisations with a British ethos. There are nationalists/republicans who are members of Royal County Down, watch their sons in Windsor Park, or attend the Royal Victoria hospital😂, and don't blink an eye. I imagine Unionists who play or follow GAA are similar. It's genuinely is no big deal, and I would question the agenda of those who try to make it one.

michaelg

Quote from: 6th sam on February 10, 2022, 08:04:55 PM
Quote from: michaelg on February 10, 2022, 05:28:38 PM

That's disappointing Michaelg, you really need to get out more😜.  I follow my nearest soccer, rugby and cricket clubs, even though I never played any of those sports. I have been welcomed in all 3 clubs , as their members are welcomed in ours. Politics and religion do not come in to it. It literally has no relevance in the day to day running of a GAA club,  but it suits a hardline unionist agenda to promote a narrative of the GAA which is inaccurate and insulting.

I would equate the GAA with its Irish ethos to organisations with a British ethos. There are nationalists/republicans who are members of Royal County Down, watch their sons in Windsor Park, or attend the Royal Victoria hospital😂, and don't blink an eye. I imagine Unionists who play or follow GAA are similar. It's genuinely is no big deal, and I would question the agenda of those who try to make it one.
Would you still standy by bolded statement above in light of the recent Clonoe commemoration?