Positions on thepark

Started by Denn Forever, May 31, 2007, 02:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

It is amazing what you think about when you have too much time on you hands.  I have always been interested where the term to "Play on the 40" came from. Is it a particular Cavan/Longford term?  People may line out at centre half forward but it is a special player who is a good "40"man.  It is a lost art now that total football is now the norm.  The person I think of first as a good "40" man is Oige Moran.  Does any one have any ideas?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

5 Sams

What really annoys me is the tools on the telly talking about "inside forwards"..."inside" what?  Its a fcukin full forward or a corner forward EOS.....has anyone ever heard of an "inside" back???
The Aristocrat Years

Hardy

I agree 5 Sams. Canning is always at it. Another one of his - anytime a forward starts fooling about with the ball instead of passing or shooting, he says he's "holding up the point of the attack". What kind of bulldung is that? But we better not start on Canning or we'll have 40 pages here in no time.

Another one - some report today, I can't remember where, said Graham Geraghty would "lead the line" against Dublin. He's picked at full forward. I always thought the CHF "led the line". Where does that come from anyway?

Other great 40-men were Mattie McDonagh, Mattie Kerrigan, Kevin Kilmurray, Larry Tompkins and of course T. Giles. A lot of people say Hanahoe, too, but I never could see that myself.

AZOffaly

Just one Canningism that annoys the fcuk outta me, seeing as how ye started it, if I may.

" A huuuge one inside". This can be applied to anything from a 20 yard foot pass to a 110 yard puck out.

The man is a waste of good oxygen.

the colonel

top of the left/ top of the right. where did that come from? you dont hear bottom of the left/right
the difference between success and failure is energy

5 Sams

Right Hardy you started it.

Another one from the annoying bollix.

What the fcuk is "an enterprising ball"?   
The Aristocrat Years

Hardy

Feckit.

Any overhead catch is "a huge leap in the air". And "a huge one inside" is bad enough, AZ, but what's "a huge one down"?   Down???

ONeill

Bulldung is a term underused.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Gnevin

Do you use Center Forward or Full Forward , the GAA use both!
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Kerry Mike

I just wish Ger would flip out one day and come out with something like, "yerra for jaysus sake referee that a f**king penalty, ya bollix ya" or "stop focking about with the ball and lave it in to f**k".
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Gabriel_Hurl

QuoteDo you use Center Forward or Full Forward , the GAA use both!

Centre forward - 11

Full Forward - 14

AZOffaly

GNevin, tell me you were joking, or that I missed the point. Did you just ask as if they were mutually exclusive?

Gnevin

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on May 31, 2007, 05:04:48 PM
QuoteDo you use Center Forward or Full Forward , the GAA use both!

Centre forward - 11

Full Forward - 14
Err yeah never type while on the phone
Centre Half Forward  or Centre forward
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

ExiledGael

Centre forward's always been the No 11 jersey to me!

Jinxy

Right half forward = outside six-eighths. (In posher parts of Meath)
If you were any use you'd be playing.