Ask not what your county can do for you but what you can do for your county

Started by Louper, May 31, 2007, 09:16:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Louper

With the recent news of Paddy Bradley not having trained with the county since he was suspended would you agree that in certain counties the passion and honour of representing your county seems to be disappearing. It seems its what the county can do for them and not how they can help their county progress as far as possible. Managers included there are too many demands these days and we are getting closer and closer to pay for play. I know times have changed drastically over the years but thousands of men have represented their county with honour and pride without making a big deal about new boots, or gloves or whatever it may be. I just think the honour, passion and genuine will to win has gone in certain counties.

magpie seanie

He might just have been pissed off at the suspension and was huffing with the co board.

I think you are allowed to train when suspended but defo not play.

Louper

surely you're allowed to train with them? he was training with glenullin and he was suspended for them, maybe club/county differs on this?

AZOffaly

Actually, I think the letter of the law is, or used to be at least, that if you were suspended, you were suspended from GAA grounds even!!

David McKeown

Was Mattie Ford not banned from training with the International Rules team last year when he was suspended
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Fuzzman

Lads lads lads are ye taking the piss.
Of course you can train but just can't line out on match day for your club or/and county.

Paddy said on BBC interview that he was taking a few weeks off training with the county scene as he wanted to spend a few weekends away on holiday down south as he rarely gets the chance in the last 10 years.
He said he continues to train with the club and will be in good shape to play on Sunday should be needed but does not expect to start.
Crozier, the Derry boss, said it will be tough not to play him from the start, especially as his brother Eoin is still in a huff and won't come back to the squad.

Don't shoot the messenger, I'm just reporting what he said.

I'd say he is well pissed off with the Derry board and maybe also with a lot of fans.
Didn't he get a punch or two last year in a night club on the night after Longford beat them.
Lots of his fans and maybe even teammates think he's a greedy shite who never passes but they've a better chance of winning when he's on the team. He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.
To me he sounds a lost soul with the world on his shoulders with the whole lack of all-star, International rules snub, county board and Refs out to get him and even his own fans on his back the odd time. No wonder he often heads off to the US to get away from it all.

Still, I wish he would move across the border to Tyrone though.  ::)

tyroneman

I spoke at length to some Derry lads about Bradley and they were all of the same opinion (this was pre suspension).

They all hoped he would recieve a ban and didn't particularly care if he played in the county team or not. They alleged that he has gotten away with many many incidents in the past by threatening to quit the county team if ever sanctioned.

While a talented footballer (though not the 'best forward in Ireland' - that honour goes to Declan Browne)  he does appear to whinge too much..........

the colonel

of course your allowed to train with club or county!! thats just ridiculous, your suspended from games and not allowed in the official inclosures during games
the difference between success and failure is energy

hoganstandman

Lads and lassies do you ever consider the possibility that Paddy Bradley reads this board or is indeed a member.  What do you think of that? Anybody feel guilty in particular the so called Derry supporters, if that were to be the case.  Any of the critics prepared to put their real name up?

amigo

While a talented footballer (though not the 'best forward in Ireland' - that honour goes to Declan Browne)  he does appear to whinge too much..........

LOL . Tyroneman you having a laugh. Hes not even the best forward in Tipperary !!!!

hoganstandman

Louper

Quote from: hoganstandman on May 31, 2007, 12:51:36 PM
Anybody feel guilty in particular the so called Derry supporters, if that were to be the case.  Any of the critics prepared to put their real name up?

how about u puttin ure real name up? im not goin to put my name up, why wud i? should i be paddys next door neighbour or livin in south africa u im still entitled to an opinion. as i said i wasnt singling out pb when i say the passion and honour isnt there but i do still think that he could have trained with the county on a few occasions during his suspension. do u not agree? i mean he was always going to appeal it again and again and to the highest level, and why not? but if hes appealin then theres a chance of gettin the original decision overturned therefore a chance of playin against antrim! he should have kept himself there and there abouts. in my opinion anyway. its open for debate, as always  :D

SuperMac

What you can do for your county ? Well, I can drink for mine  ;D

" Drink for your county ", that will be my motto  ;)

new devil

Quote from: hoganstandman on May 31, 2007, 12:51:36 PM
Lads and lassies do you ever consider the possibility that Paddy Bradley reads this board or is indeed a member.  What do you think of that? Anybody feel guilty in particular the so called Derry supporters, if that were to be the case.  Any of the critics prepared to put their real name up?

OK paddy if you are on here...i think youre a tool  ;D