NFL Division Two 2022

Started by Blowitupref, January 15, 2022, 09:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: yellowcard on March 29, 2022, 01:19:12 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on March 29, 2022, 01:13:08 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on March 29, 2022, 11:49:04 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on March 29, 2022, 11:07:28 AM
I see the Offaly keeper may be asked to apologise for his social media posts, as they may be in breach of the GAA's social media policy? Since when has this been a thing?

I saw this. Interesting what he said that referees clearly don't know the rules. I've noticed that a few times this year but what I've also noticed is the rule book is far from clear. Kerry got away with the same thing that he was complaining about twice against Kerry and whilst I knew it was an offence I'd no idea what the sanction for it was. Even after consulting the official guide I'm still not sure.
Read that the earlier offence was that the kickout was too short, not that the ball was played back to the keeper. A tap over free seems harsh enough for playing the ball back to the keeper I think.

Either way, how on earth do the GAA think they have a right to control what anyone posts on social media.

That's not what he stated in the article.

"So I chose the '50/50 ball instead of a 45 (free shot at goal) obviously. But the referee then gave a free in from the 14 for the same rule they called earlier in the game as a throw ball.''
There are two different stories as to what happened in the first instance.

But even if the ref did make a mistake the first time (and that's not clear), it would be a nonsense to suggest he should keep making the same mistake to be consistent!  He got the final decision 100% correct.

yellowcard

Quote from: Hound on March 29, 2022, 07:49:02 PM
I see the Offaly keeper may be asked to apologise for his social media posts, as they may be in breach of the GAA's social media policy? Since when has this been a thing?

I saw this. Interesting what he said that referees clearly don't know the rules. I've noticed that a few times this year but what I've also noticed is the rule book is far from clear. Kerry got away with the same thing that he was complaining about twice against Kerry and whilst I knew it was an offence I'd no idea what the sanction for it was. Even after consulting the official guide I'm still not sure.
Read that the earlier offence was that the kickout was too short, not that the ball was played back to the keeper. A tap over free seems harsh enough for playing the ball back to the keeper I think.

Either way, how on earth do the GAA think they have a right to control what anyone posts on social media.

"So I chose the '50/50 ball instead of a 45 (free shot at goal) obviously. But the referee then gave a free in from the 14 for the same rule they called earlier in the game as a throw ball.''

But even if the ref did make a mistake the first time (and that's not clear), it would be a nonsense to suggest he should keep making the same mistake to be consistent!  He got the final decision 100% correct.

Well on the presumption that the Offaly goalkeeper was telling the truth in terms of the same offence being committed twice in the same game with different penalties (and it's not hard to prove whether this happened) then his complaints against the referee are entirely legitimate. If as you suggest he got the second decision correct then he got the first one 100% wrong. His actual job is to know the rules so when did he learn of the penalty for such an offence, was it midway through the match? It would be helpful if the officials could explain their decisions in these instances.

The Offaly goalkeeper was entitled to presume that he was about to concede a throw ball on the 13 metre line if the same punishment had been doled out previously in the match. Instead he conceded the point which cost the their last chance of promotion and he has to deal with the resultant flak.

tyrone08

Quote from: yellowcard on March 29, 2022, 08:32:13 PM
Quote from: Hound on March 29, 2022, 07:49:02 PM

Well on the presumption that the Offaly goalkeeper was telling the truth in terms of the same offence being committed twice in the same game with different penalties (and it's not hard to prove whether this happened) then his complaints against the referee are entirely legitimate. If as you suggest he got the second decision correct then he got the first one 100% wrong. His actual job is to know the rules so when did he learn of the penalty for such an offence, was it midway through the match? It would be helpful if the officials could explain their decisions in these instances.

The Offaly goalkeeper was entitled to presume that he was about to concede a throw ball on the 13 metre line if the same punishment had been doled out previously in the match. Instead he conceded the point which cost the their last chance of promotion and he has to deal with the resultant flak.

Surley the issue lies with the player who passed it back. It left the goalie with a split second to choose between 2 poor options. It's the players fault.

Taylor

100% correct Tyrone08 - I mentioned this here already - the fault lies squarely with the player that kicked it back to the keeper.

Case closed

Rossfan

No need to copy Division 1 by setting up a separate Final thread...
Ourselves and the Herrins will be playing their last game in Division 2 till at least January 2024.
Will either side field their strongest team,?, will either go all out for it?
Or will it be a nice open game of  lovely Connacht football?
Croke Park will be pretty empty by all indications unless the Rhubarb army come in early.
A lot of people not travelling due to costs and the relative meaninglessness of the game.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

tbrick18

Quote from: Rossfan on March 31, 2022, 10:40:23 AM
Ourselves and the Herrins will be playing their last game in Division 2 till at least January 2024.
Croke Park will be pretty empty by all indications unless the Rhubarb army come in early.
A lot of people not travelling due to costs and the relative meaninglessness of the game.

Personally I think the league finals are un warranted. Top of the league is the the league winner IMO.
The only real benefit is for the players to experience playing in Croke Park....even if it is empty.

I'd imagine neither of the two teams will want to risk injury to key players before the championship. I'm sure both have aspirations of provincial titles and why would you risk that for a Div2 league title?

Rossfan

Agree re no need for League Finals esp Divisions 2,3 and 4.
Top League after 7 games you get the Cup.
Will they be abolished in the new system next year?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on March 31, 2022, 10:40:23 AM
A great opportunity to give fringe players a run out. Like a soccer international friendly.
Only the D1 final matters.

galwayman

Agreed re there being no need for a final - especially so close to championship first round.
If anybody has any niggle at all they should not be risked.
Would say both teams will go all out to win it though.
Roscommon have 4 weeks to first round of championship after Sunday and realistically they will win that game regardless.
Pj will probably field his strongest available team - Comer won't play, not sure about Walsh.

Armagh18

Wouldnt agree there at all. Think any chance to win silverware is not to be sniffed at, only is 3 chances in the year and the league is one of them, I don't realistically see Roscommon or Galway winning a provincial or AI this year.

lenny

Quote from: Armagh18 on March 31, 2022, 12:49:01 PM
Wouldnt agree there at all. Think any chance to win silverware is not to be sniffed at, only is 3 chances in the year and the league is one of them, I don't realistically see Roscommon or Galway winning a provincial or AI this year.

Totally agree. A national league final at croke park is a great opportunity which the majority of players don't get. It's a chance of silverware and for many players it's the best chance of getting a medal. I have to laugh at Roscommon supporters turning up their nose at this opportunity, I'd say the players and managers will have a completely different opinion.

J70

I guess its enjoyable on the day, but in the long run no one gives a bollocks about a Division 2 title.

I had to rack my brain for a minute earlier this week in a different conversation to remember if we'd won it in 2019 and who we'd beaten.

The main reason I remembered was the Meath full-forward (Newman?) giving a young Brendan McCole an awful doing in the first half before Neil McGee was drafted in to take control of things.

Only thing memorable about the 2014 final, which we lost, was Rory Kavanagh getting the line because he didn't react kindly to Darren Hughes and another Monaghan player tossing his boot around the field between them and gave Hughes a clip in the nuts!

Rudi

Roscommon have won 3 division 2 titles in the last 6 years. Any Roscommon supporter including myself couldn't give a toss about them. A connacht football title & possibly an All Ireland semi final appearance is where its at. The league finals should be abandoned at Div 2,3,4 level.

Lenny you talking about laughing at Roscommon supporters, we are the ones doing the laughing after your team of dirty hoors ended up staying in division 2, while 2 decent sides went up. But but but I saw 5 minutes of bookface on the internet  ;D ;D ;D Ask one of the 50 Derry supporters how their team behaved for the full 80 minutes. Says all you need to know about Derry, with 50 supporters travelling away to a big game, if the fixture was reversed between 2 - 2.5 k Roscommon supporters would have travelled to Owenbeg.

lenny

Quote from: Rudi on March 31, 2022, 01:14:11 PM
Roscommon have won 3 division 2 titles in the last 6 years. Any Roscommon supporter including myself couldn't give a toss about them. A connacht football title & possibly an All Ireland semi final appearance is where its at. The league finals should be abandoned at Div 2,3,4 level.

Lenny you talking about laughing at Roscommon supporters, we are the ones doing the laughing after your team of dirty hoors ended up staying in division 2, while 2 decent sides went up. But but but I saw 5 minutes of bookface on the internet  ;D ;D ;D Ask one of the 50 Derry supporters how their team behaved for the full 80 minutes. Says all you need to know about Derry, with 50 supporters travelling away to a big game, if the fixture was reversed between 2 - 2.5 k Roscommon supporters would have travelled to Owenbeg.

Yeah, classy comments from a complete d***head. The point I was making is that in connacht roscommon have very little chance because Galway are likely to beat them and if not Mayo certainly will. Therefore if I was a roscommon player I'd be targetting this final as it's the best chance of actually winning something. If Derry had made the final I'd be disappointed if they weren't going flat out to win it as it's a similar scenario to roscommon in that they aren't likely to win their provincial at the moment.

oliverkelly

Quote from: Rudi on March 31, 2022, 01:14:11 PM

Yeah one of the worst supported teams in the country.

On the game this weekend couldn't care less about the result the main aim was to get promoted. As said above nearly all our squad have multiple D2 medals