NFL Division Two 2022

Started by Blowitupref, January 15, 2022, 09:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Quote from: seafoid on March 28, 2022, 02:32:25 PM
Down and Offaly get to play in the Tailteann Cup.

Unless Down get their 'swagger' back.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

armaghniac

I'd say the crowd will not come close to the Sam Final in 1961.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Quote from: clawaddy on March 28, 2022, 06:54:51 PM
I must say as  a Derry fan the past couple of weeks have left a sour taste. While I agree with the comments from supporters that another year in D2 may not be a bad thing it ignores the fact that they were the victims of one of the most cynical actions carried out by any team in the league. There was a very good chance that McGuigan would have scored the free and the final league positions would have been reversed. To make matters worse the officials felt he should be sent off!! We feared Galway would field a shadow team yesterday and so it turned out with the game resembling a challenge match.
I agree. Derry had great momentum until the 6th round.

seafoid

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 28, 2022, 06:58:04 PM

If they do they can go all the way. But it has been a while...

yellowcard

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 28, 2022, 06:58:04 PM

Down would appear to have got worse this season if that were possible after last years display against Donegal. They delayed the appointment of a manager for no obvious good reason and can't have prepared very well for the League. Then rumours surfaced in recent weeks of player bust ups after matches and players turning up to training worse for wear.

They mightn't be great at the minute but nor should they be Tailteann cup level. If they get their act together you could easily see Down and Offaly in a Tailteann cup final and the winner of that competition could use it as a springboard for next season.

Muck Savage

Quote from: Cavan19 on March 28, 2022, 03:25:08 PM
Quote from: Main Street on March 28, 2022, 03:10:52 PM
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on March 28, 2022, 02:54:30 PM
Quote from: oliverkelly on March 28, 2022, 02:03:11 PM
Spoke to an Offaly supporter and he confirmed what Dunican has said. That during the first half Offaly took a short kickout receiving defender passed to another defender who passed back to the keeper(All within the rules) but Maggie called for the ref to punish them saying ball went straight back from the short kickout and ref threw up the ball. Then close to the end when the keeper did receive the ball straight back he played the ball thinking the ref would throw the ball up again but this time he gave a free.

Yes, it looks like the officials incorrectly thought Dunican received the straight back pass and brought the play back, while Offaly were launching a promising attack. However a hop ball was awarded which is not the correct sanction and may have lead to confusion later on.

https://twitter.com/JohnnoKinahan14/status/1508128978695073793

There is also an irony because the main driver for the rule introduction was as an antidote to Dublin boreball where they gave the ball back Cluxton to kill the game with long passages of recycling possession. In the case of Dunican he regularly bombs forward on the attack when he gets the ball.
It looks more like the ball was adjudged by the lineswoman not to have traveled the required 13m distance, therefore the hop ball.
I think if the ref was okay with the kick out then it's not the job of the lines assistant to be splitting hairs over the actual distance.

She was a good distance away to be able to tell also surely if there was a call to be made it was the linesman on that sides to make. It looked to have gone far enough from the clip above.

Fine lines when you are trying to take that step up, potential square ball for the last min goal Meath got to draw the game. Couple of questionable frees against Offaly yesterday (O'Sullivan being taken out of it, the kick out in the first half etc). Consolidating a place in Div 2 was important for Offaly and they benefited from the games but needed another year there for progress.

Also, No teams are in the Tailteann cup yet...

Blowitupref

I must say as  a Derry fan the past couple of weeks have left a sour taste. While I agree with the comments from supporters that another year in D2 may not be a bad thing it ignores the fact that they were the victims of one of the most cynical actions carried out by any team in the league. There was a very good chance that McGuigan would have scored the free and the final league positions would have been reversed. To make matters worse the officials felt he should be sent off!! We feared Galway would field a shadow team yesterday and so it turned out with the game resembling a challenge match.
There was more than just that one incident in that match. What helped Derry get into that position to win was dubious calls against Roscommon. After that match Derry still had promotion in their own hands with a home game against Galway and produced their worst performance under Rory Gallagher. 
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Rudi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyHr-4SeILI

Rossfan

Was "clawaddy" at the match?
Is he proud of his manager's antics?
Is he proud of the assaults on young Heneghan?
Is he proud of the asinine behaviour of his number 2 who was like a lad on drugs?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

oliverkelly

Quote from: Rossfan on March 29, 2022, 09:48:10 AM
Was "clawaddy" at the match?
Is he proud of his manager's antics?
Is he proud of the assaults on young Heneghan?
Is he proud of the asinine behaviour of his number 2 who was like a lad on drugs?
Derry had about 50 fans in the Hyde so i doubt the poster was at the game. Has a chip on his shoulder from watching highlights which didn't tell the true story of the ref robbing Roscommon. McGuigan missed frees from the edge of the D on multiple occasions during the game so the narrative he would have scored the last free is laughable. And claiming he would have made a difference when Galway slaughtered them is hilarious altogether. Agree on mcKeigue lost all respect for him with his antics behaved like a tr**p that day. No harm they were put back in their box

seafoid

If Derry get promoted next year presumably they will be out of sync with Roscommon

Armagh18

I see the Offaly keeper may be asked to apologise for his social media posts, as they may be in breach of the GAA's social media policy? Since when has this been a thing?

Champion The Wonder Horse

Congratulations to Roscommon on their promotion. No sour grapes here. I don't think Derry are a div 1 side and I don't think they will be one this time next year.

It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if the last two sets of fixtures had been reversed, or if the Galway / Roscommon game had been winner takes all like Monaghan / Dublin.
But they weren't and it wasn't. Sin é.

The two promoted teams fully deserved to go up and best of luck to both next season.

screenexile

Agree with above.

I think Roscommon/Derry/Kildare are maybe just a small step below the other 8 teams when it comes down to it.

Rossfan

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on March 29, 2022, 11:09:43 AM
Congratulations to Roscommon on their promotion. No sour grapes here. I don't think Derry are a div 1 side and I don't think they will be one this time next year.

It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if the last two sets of fixtures had been reversed, or if the Galway / Roscommon game had been winner takes all like Monaghan / Dublin.
But they weren't and it wasn't. Sin é.

The two promoted teams fully deserved to go up and best of luck to both next season.
Fair play and as I said before there was no acrimony among the players on the field after the final whistle.
In the 3 team mini league we got 3 pts, Galway 2 and Derry 1.
The gap between the top 3 and the rest was surprising in this normally tight Division. (If the Hurley crowd ran the NFL they'd make it a 12 team 1st Division!)
Derry's 11 points would have seen them promoted most years.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM