NFL Division Two 2022

Started by Blowitupref, January 15, 2022, 09:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gael85

Quote from: Unlaoised on January 31, 2022, 08:07:50 AM
Probably weakest Division 2 in a long long time

DERRY  in transition and have a poor league record .

DOWN have been flirting with division 3 a long time now and have produced little in Ulster to say they are much better than an Antrim Cavavan or Fermanagh
MEATH have done little in recent years to suggest they are a top 10 side
CORK only back up the divisions after a big change over in players
ROSSIES this is their level never a division 1 team
CLARE will be lucky to stay up better sides in division 3
GALWAY  prob the only team that could stay up in division 1 and will walk this division
OFFALY a long time since they have been up this far in the divisions and again they will struggle they would get it hard against at least 6 of the division 3 teams in my opinion.

Overall apart from Galway it's the first time in a while maybe up to 3 division 1 type teams ain't in division 2 .

Its wide open after Galway I'd expect maybe Roscommon and Derry to battle for 2nd spot

Who the better teams in D3 than Clare?

imtommygunn

Yeah I think that post significantly underestimates Clare and Derry. Derry are a different beast under Gallagher.  I think Clare could well be better than Cork as it stands and that will be interesting. For me it's Galway and then Roscommon maybe favourites but Derry or Meath may have a say there.

Clare would be better than Offaly and arguably Cork. They'll give most teams in this division their fill of it I think. Very interesting division looking at it.

tbrick18

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 31, 2022, 08:48:47 AM
Yeah I think that post significantly underestimates Clare and Derry. Derry are a different beast under Gallagher.  I think Clare could well be better than Cork as it stands and that will be interesting. For me it's Galway and then Roscommon maybe favourites but Derry or Meath may have a say there.

Clare would be better than Offaly and arguably Cork. They'll give most teams in this division their fill of it I think. Very interesting division looking at it.

In terms of Derry, we were not great at the weekend but still won comfortably. We should improve as the league goes on with the return of the Slaughtneil contingent.
It's unfair I feel to judge Down on that performance either as they are missing the Kilcoo lads and the new manager has had a very short time with them. It wouldn't surprise me if they improve drastically when Kilcoo finishes out the club championship. It may be too late though to avoid relegation as they have Galway up next (I think). 2 defeats from 2 would spell then end I think.

For me Galway were always the favourite for the division, but outside of that I think you could argue anyone is capable of beating anyone else. I feel it will be a very competitive division.

For Derry, I'd be happy to comfortably retain Div2 status and get a really well settled team in place for the championship to give Ulster a push, which is wide open this year in my opinion.

imtommygunn

it's an interesting division. You'd have to imagine Cork would get the finger out at some point but who knows. 2nd is really up for grabs and for me I think Derry might nick that spot.

An Fhairche Abu

You can discount any serious assessment of the teams until you have the evidence of about 3 rounds I think, certainly from the game I was at it would be hard to imagine Meath will play as badly again and Galway don't know where they are at yet.
Conditions across the country looked to be wretched as well.

Rossfan

Have 4 points from 1st 4 games then all to play for in March's 3 games in a row.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

imtommygunn

This and division 3 are very interesting divisions. 1 not quite as much as if you're not in relegation danger then no one cares that much about winning it.

Rawhide

Quote from: tbrick18 on January 31, 2022, 10:27:58 AM

In terms of Derry, we were not great at the weekend but still won comfortably. We should improve as the league goes on with the return of the Slaughtneil contingent.
It's unfair I feel to judge Down on that performance either as they are missing the Kilcoo lads and the new manager has had a very short time with them. It wouldn't surprise me if they improve drastically when Kilcoo finishes out the club championship. It may be too late though to avoid relegation as they have Galway up next (I think). 2 defeats from 2 would spell then end I think.

For me Galway were always the favourite for the division, but outside of that I think you could argue anyone is capable of beating anyone else. I feel it will be a very competitive division.

For Derry, I'd be happy to comfortably retain Div2 status and get a really well settled team in place for the championship to give Ulster a push, which is wide open this year in my opinion.

Ulster wide open with the the all Irelands champions on it :o

BTW the S'neil contingent were playing Saturday evening. Paudie tadd the only one missing, injured
cccc is a true supporter lol

tbrick18

Quote from: Rawhide on January 31, 2022, 11:17:57 AM
Quote from: tbrick18 on January 31, 2022, 10:27:58 AM

Ulster wide open with the the all Irelands champions on it :o

BTW the S'neil contingent were playing Saturday evening. Paudie tadd the only one missing, injured

Tyrone have had quite a few players leave the panel.
Monaghan v Tyrone at the weekend showed there's nothing between them.
Armagh beat Dublin.
Derry just pipped by Donegal last year.
I think Ulster is wide open.

The Slaughtneil guys have been playing hurling and only rejoined the panel on Tuesday before the game. It will take time for them to get up to speed again.

imtommygunn

If Donegal got the finger out they have the footballing ability to challenge Tyrone - and Monaghan could do too.

Mourne Rover

Although Unlaoised thinks Down have been flirting with division three for a long time, we actually played there in 2019 and 2020. Unlaoised also suggests that Down have produced little in Ulster to suggest we are better than Cavan, Fermanagh or Antrim. Cavan were Ulster champions only 15 months ago and clearly have a better overall record than Down in recent years. However, the last time that Down played in the USC against Fermanagh (2020) and Antrim (2018), we won by seven point margins on both occasions. The present squad is plainly in transition and staying in D2 would be an achievement.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Gael85 on January 31, 2022, 08:40:24 AM
Quote from: Unlaoised on January 31, 2022, 08:07:50 AM
Probably weakest Division 2 in a long long time

DERRY  in transition and have a poor league record .

DOWN have been flirting with division 3 a long time now and have produced little in Ulster to say they are much better than an Antrim Cavavan or Fermanagh
MEATH have done little in recent years to suggest they are a top 10 side
CORK only back up the divisions after a big change over in players
ROSSIES this is their level never a division 1 team
CLARE will be lucky to stay up better sides in division 3
GALWAY  prob the only team that could stay up in division 1 and will walk this division
OFFALY a long time since they have been up this far in the divisions and again they will struggle they would get it hard against at least 6 of the division 3 teams in my opinion.

Overall apart from Galway it's the first time in a while maybe up to 3 division 1 type teams ain't in division 2 .

Its wide open after Galway I'd expect maybe Roscommon and Derry to battle for 2nd spot

Who the better teams in D3 than Clare?

I'd like to see his reply to that very question also. Remarkable that some still aren't giving Clare the credit they deserve.

DIV 2 this year is roughly the same quality as it normally is IMO however the added spice of the trap door likely means the Tailteann Cup. Promotion and relegation will be a real competitive battle.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Maroon Manc

Not much experience on that Galway bench, looked very very young. Must be only 6 or 7 league starts between the 10 outfield players, think only Conor Campbell & Dessie Conneely have started games.

Once again Galway are littered with injuries.

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 31, 2022, 11:39:36 AM
If Donegal got the finger out they have the footballing ability to challenge Tyrone - and Monaghan could do too.
Monaghan have population constraints that the bigger counties do not have.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 31, 2022, 02:31:27 PM
Not much experience on that Galway bench, looked very very young. Must be only 6 or 7 league starts between the 10 outfield players, think only Conor Campbell & Dessie Conneely have started games.

Once again Galway are littered with injuries.

Conor Flaherty
Kieran Molloy, Seán Kelly, Liam Silke
Dylan McHugh, John Daly, Cillian McDaid
Paul Kelly, Paul Conroy
Matthew Tierney, Owen Gallagher, Finnian Ó Laoí;
Tomo Culhane, Rob Finnerty, Shane Walsh

Even with everyone fit how many changes would be made to that team that started yesterday? Strong looking spine to the Galway team now with a lot of pace and strength to it.

Bench might be lacking in experience but it has plenty of quality and loads of potential on it.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose