NFL Division 1 2022

Started by Blowitupref, January 15, 2022, 08:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onefaircounty

Quote from: Taylor on January 31, 2022, 08:38:58 AM

Hyperbole about Armagh - a Dubs team who played terrible got within 5 pts after kicking 15 wides.

Armagh also had four goal chances that ended up with 0-1.

No hyperbole in Armagh anyway. Survival still aim.

Armagh18

Quote from: illdecide on January 31, 2022, 10:38:40 AM
I certainly won't get carried away by Armagh's great performance on Sat nite, one thing i've learned from Armagh over the years is after a great result like that there a few nasty ones around the corner. They played great on the night but Dublin will improve a lot and we were probably at our best and not much more in the tank. It was a great result and hopefully can grind out another 3-4 pts from somewhere to stay up...That's all i'm thinking of at this stage is staying up and Sat's game has given us a much better chance of doing so...

As for Sunday's game with our neighbours that will be interesting...Armagh like to play football so Tyrone will be in their element and will probably end up a shoot out so expect a different game to what you seen Tyrone v Monaghan yesterday.
Definitely not getting carried away but one thing I would say is there's about 5 lads who could come in and start on that team and probably improve it. Croke Park definitely suits us. Tyrone will be a totally different prospect though!!

Tubberman

Jesus, Armagh are entitled to enjoy beating the dubs in croker. what's the point if you can't enjoy a win like that.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

yellowcard

Quote from: illdecide on January 31, 2022, 10:38:40 AM
I certainly won't get carried away by Armagh's great performance on Sat nite, one thing i've learned from Armagh over the years is after a great result like that there a few nasty ones around the corner. They played great on the night but Dublin will improve a lot and we were probably at our best and not much more in the tank. It was a great result and hopefully can grind out another 3-4 pts from somewhere to stay up...That's all i'm thinking of at this stage is staying up and Sat's game has given us a much better chance of doing so...

As for Sunday's game with our neighbours that will be interesting...Armagh like to play football so Tyrone will be in their element and will probably end up a shoot out so expect a different game to what you seen Tyrone v Monaghan yesterday.

Armagh can play a lot better then they did on Saturday. But because it is Dublin people have gone overboard when the reality is that this Dublin team are a shadow of their former selves. The aura has gone.

Armagh were probably without 5 or 6 starters who will improve the team so I think that there is much more to come from this Armagh side. Tyrone will be a different prospect this week but that result should give the team an added layer of belief that they belong at this level.   

mackers

This Armagh team have been snatching draws/defeats from the jaws of victory over an extended period and the biggest takeaway from Saturday evening's game is the fact that they got over the line.  We have been playing good football for a couple of years now and drawing plaudits for it but winning is a habit this team haven't formed yet.  Hopefully Saturday evening is a turning point in that respect.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

5times5times

Armagh done this too without 3 further top class forwards in Oisin ONeill, Murnin & Turbitt.

APM

The thing I take most from it is the strength of the squad,

Compare the two teams before against Monaghan last year and Dublin at the weekend,

Versus Monaghan
Shea Magill; James Morgan, Aaron McKay, Ryan Kennedy; Ciaron O'Hanlon, Greg McCabe, Connaire Mackin; Niall Grimley, Oisin O'Neill; Jemar Hall, Rian O'Neill, Jarly Óg Burns; Rory Grugan, Andrew Murnin, Stefan Campbell. Subs: Aidan Forker, Conor Turbitt, Conor O'Neill, Tiernan Kelly, Ross McQuillan

Versus Dublin
B Hughes; P Burns, A Forker, A McKay; C Mackin, N Rowland, J Og Burns; C Mackin, B Crealey; J Hall, R Grugan, T Kelly; J Duffy, R O'Neill, A Nugent. Subs: N Grimley, S Campbell, G McCabe, R McQuillan, M Shields

8 players that featured against Monaghan last year didn't appear on Saturday night.  In fairness a few of the team on Saturday would have played v Monaghan last year were it not for Covid etc. 

Very impressive how Ciaran Mackin, Jason Duffy and Rowland performed against Dublin. Particularly Ciaran Mackin.  When you consider Conor Turbitt, Oisin O'Neill have to come into the team and I think we haven't seen the best of Ross McQuillan,

For all the talk that there has been about this win, Dublin kicked themselves out of it and would have won had they scored their frees and some of the simple wides they kicked.  Some of the ones they missed, they would normally score.  The other side of it was that Armagh missed next to nothing and they definitely got the bounce of the ball. 

However, they were due a bit of luck and there was no doubting that at some stage they would cut loose and take a scalp.  Again, they were fortunate that it all came together v Dublin. 

If this goes to their heads, then Tyrone could win handy in the Athletic Grounds.  Somehow though, I don't think they will and we will really see next weekend, if the lads can put two performances back to back. 

I always felt that last year's league suited Armagh.  It was like an introduction to Division 1 and this year they can make a real go of it.  However, I'll not forget the fact that they beat Kerry in Tralee about 10 years ago in the second round, after drawing with Cork, and finished up being relegated.

rrhf

Tough battle yesterday for Tyrone but pleased with the point.  Was delighted for Armagh on Saturday night what a performance.. The only consolation that Tyrone have got them so soon is that, there is no shame in getting a hiding from the best team in Ireland at the moment...   

Solo_run

Quote from: APM on January 31, 2022, 01:22:53 PM
The thing I take most from it is the strength of the squad,

Compare the two teams before against Monaghan last year and Dublin at the weekend,

Versus Monaghan
Shea Magill; James Morgan, Aaron McKay, Ryan Kennedy; Ciaron O'Hanlon, Greg McCabe, Connaire Mackin; Niall Grimley, Oisin O'Neill; Jemar Hall, Rian O'Neill, Jarly Óg Burns; Rory Grugan, Andrew Murnin, Stefan Campbell. Subs: Aidan Forker, Conor Turbitt, Conor O'Neill, Tiernan Kelly, Ross McQuillan

Versus Dublin
B Hughes; P Burns, A Forker, A McKay; C Mackin, N Rowland, J Og Burns; C Mackin, B Crealey; J Hall, R Grugan, T Kelly; J Duffy, R O'Neill, A Nugent. Subs: N Grimley, S Campbell, G McCabe, R McQuillan, M Shields

8 players that featured against Monaghan last year didn't appear on Saturday night.  In fairness a few of the team on Saturday would have played v Monaghan last year were it not for Covid etc. 

Very impressive how Ciaran Mackin, Jason Duffy and Rowland performed against Dublin. Particularly Ciaran Mackin.  When you consider Conor Turbitt, Oisin O'Neill have to come into the team and I think we haven't seen the best of Ross McQuillan,

For all the talk that there has been about this win, Dublin kicked themselves out of it and would have won had they scored their frees and some of the simple wides they kicked.  Some of the ones they missed, they would normally score.  The other side of it was that Armagh missed next to nothing and they definitely got the bounce of the ball. 

However, they were due a bit of luck and there was no doubting that at some stage they would cut loose and take a scalp.  Again, they were fortunate that it all came together v Dublin. 

If this goes to their heads, then Tyrone could win handy in the Athletic Grounds.  Somehow though, I don't think they will and we will really see next weekend, if the lads can put two performances back to back. 

I always felt that last year's league suited Armagh.  It was like an introduction to Division 1 and this year they can make a real go of it.  However, I'll not forget the fact that they beat Kerry in Tralee about 10 years ago in the second round, after drawing with Cork, and finished up being relegated.

Agreed. However, with the Dublin point, how many teams turn up to Croke Park and play against them off their game? In a way, the opposition makes you pay for your mistakes and it might be that Dublin were kicking themselves but you could make an argument that Armagh frustrated them and nothing easy was given to them. Games are complex and whilst last weekends game was pretty good from an Armagh perspective there are still doubts on defence and they will only be put to bed when we see consistency. 

I wonder how many teams from now will be trying to replicate Armagh's goal kicks. A creative bit of thinking from the management and something you hope to see evolve over the season. 

Dublin might well have been off their game but Armagh have been threatening a performance like that for a while and the big question is can they back these defensive performances up week after week?

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Tubberman on January 31, 2022, 11:33:12 AM
Jesus, Armagh are entitled to enjoy beating the dubs in croker. what's the point if you can't enjoy a win like that.
Yes well entitled to enjoy beating Dublin pulling up in Croke Park. What would the hype be like with the media if Kerry, Mayo and Tyrone beat Dublin in a similar manner?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Captain Obvious on January 31, 2022, 01:58:32 PM
Yes well entitled to enjoy beating Dublin pulling up in Croke Park. What would the hype be like with the media if Kerry, Mayo and Tyrone beat Dublin in a similar manner?

Contenders for Sam or contenders for winning the league I'd assume, if Armagh improved as the league progresses and grow in confidence then there is no reason as to why they won't contend. The All Ireland is usually won by div 1 teams, so there are only 7 teams to beat  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Main Street

There's a line between enjoying such a victory and getting carried away with it.

Main Street

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 31, 2022, 07:42:54 AM
Quote from: Main Street on January 30, 2022, 11:18:02 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on January 30, 2022, 08:33:16 PM
Quote from: Orior on January 30, 2022, 07:26:38 PM
Who would have known that Saturday's match was a relegation battle.

Joking aside Dublin could be in a spot of difficulty. Only have 3 home games (2left) and one of those is Mayo so they don't even have one less away game. Armagh on the other hand have 4 home games, 2 away (1 left) and one neutral venue.
An away win against a top team  pretty much means Armagh are safe.
Apart from normal Dublin warming up issues this early in the league  a big missing piece is Cluxton, his presence, game management and goalkeeping prowess is a big loss. I think he would have made a much better attempt to block the first goal with his body and for the 2nd he'd be the least likely goalkeeper to be lobbed.
Great start but far from safe after one game. As for that first goal? Cluxton, Comerford Van Der Sar and De Gea could have been in nets and I'd back Rian to score it.
I wrote that Cluxton would've made a better attempt to block the shot, not that he would've saved it. In one-on-ones some goalies grow like the Hulk, others manage to make themselves look smaller. 

armaghniac

Quote from: Main Street on January 31, 2022, 02:30:42 PM
There's a line between enjoying such a victory and getting carried away with it.

Nobody here getting carried away. The extent of exultation is satisfaction at Armagh playing decently for a whole game and getting over the line and the hope that we may avoid relegation as a consequence.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Main Street on January 31, 2022, 02:38:44 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on January 31, 2022, 07:42:54 AM
Quote from: Main Street on January 30, 2022, 11:18:02 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on January 30, 2022, 08:33:16 PM
Quote from: Orior on January 30, 2022, 07:26:38 PM
Who would have known that Saturday's match was a relegation battle.

Joking aside Dublin could be in a spot of difficulty. Only have 3 home games (2left) and one of those is Mayo so they don't even have one less away game. Armagh on the other hand have 4 home games, 2 away (1 left) and one neutral venue.
An away win against a top team  pretty much means Armagh are safe.
Apart from normal Dublin warming up issues this early in the league  a big missing piece is Cluxton, his presence, game management and goalkeeping prowess is a big loss. I think he would have made a much better attempt to block the first goal with his body and for the 2nd he'd be the least likely goalkeeper to be lobbed.
Great start but far from safe after one game. As for that first goal? Cluxton, Comerford Van Der Sar and De Gea could have been in nets and I'd back Rian to score it.
I wrote that Cluxton would've made a better attempt to block the shot, not that he would've saved it. In one-on-ones some goalies grow like the Hulk, others manage to make themselves look smaller.

I remember in a club hurling game, was playing well enough, couple of scores from play. Midway through the second half I found myself in on goal with only the keeper to bate, my problem was two fold, too much time to think and when I seen the county keeper, who was no bigger than me come out at me, I either miss hit the thing or panicked, either way it was gathered up handy enough by him.

Some keepers by reputation will add pressure regardless of how good you are and will make you think, Cluxton probably had that in his locker over the years which helped his natural ability
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea