The biggest overachievers - players - Hurling & Football

Started by Stranworst, May 29, 2007, 07:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

liihb

Every time you open your mouth you have this wonderful ability to continually confirm what I think.

Mentalman

Quote from: liihb on May 30, 2007, 06:29:40 PM
Colin Moran

Definitely agree at intercounty level, but when you watch club football you can see why successive Dublin managements almost seem to manufacture positions for him.

Someone mentioned Tommy Carr? Was a stalwart during a lot of barren years for Dublin, not sure he overachieved.

Trevor Giles? You are having a giraffe. One of the best foot passers of a ball I've ever had the pleasure to watch, and was a vital cog in a top Meath team, and thats coming from a Westmeath man!
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

AZOffaly

Lads there definitely seems to be a complete lack of clarity as to what constitutes 'over achievement' on this thread, but no matter how you define it, there is no way that Dara O'Cinneide or Trevor Giles could be said to have over achieved.

Galway15

Niall finnegan was a class sigerson player and gave a one man show v Mayo in Tuam in 97..he equalised v Rossies in tuam 98 and showed unreal balls!! Class act

inthemaking

Quote from: greygoose on May 30, 2007, 03:44:55 PM
Quote from: man in black on May 30, 2007, 02:47:54 PM
Ross Carr Down
Damian Barton Derry

Man In Black...
You have not a clue if you think Ross Carr Under Achieved.. Catch yourself on... Maybe you need to dig into your video archive and replay the point he scored against Derry in Armagh in 1991 to bring the match to a replay, hardly the sign of an under achiever.

wrong thread!!

mouview

Quote from: Mentalman on May 30, 2007, 07:05:37 PM
Colin Moran

Definitely agree at intercounty level, but when you watch club football you can see why successive Dublin managements almost seem to manufacture positions for him.

Someone mentioned Tommy Carr? Was a stalwart during a lot of barren years for Dublin, not sure he overachieved.

Trevor Giles? You are having a giraffe. One of the best foot passers of a ball I've ever had the pleasure to watch, and was a vital cog in a top Meath team, and thats coming from a Westmeath man!

Giles was a moderate talent whose importance seemed to far outweigh his ability. (Also missed 2 penos in AI finals). BTW, a Westmeath player agrees with me!

Tatler Jack

QuoteGiles was a moderate talent whose importance seemed to far outweigh his ability. (Also missed 2 penos in AI finals). BTW, a Westmeath player agrees with me!

If this is so then I think a lot of players would wish to have his moderate talent. And a lot of managers would love to have a moderate CHF like Giles.

Mentalman

Quote from: mouview on May 31, 2007, 09:47:28 AM
Quote from: Mentalman on May 30, 2007, 07:05:37 PM
Colin Moran

Giles was a moderate talent whose importance seemed to far outweigh his ability. (Also missed 2 penos in AI finals). BTW, a Westmeath player agrees with me!

Just don't see that myself, they were always better with him than without him, and have definitely missed having a player like him. Apart from his passing ability, and his free taking, he was never the soft touch some players, including some Westmeath players of my acquaintance, thought. Two missed penalties wouldn't make him unique, "big" players do misson big occasion e.g. Charlie Redmond. Then again, it's all about opinions I suppose.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

the colonel

all the o'halpins, mother from fiji, da from monaghan, some hurlers all the same. sean og is an incredible athlete who admits he hasnt th greatest hurling ability, just is more dedicated than most
the difference between success and failure is energy

the colonel

johnneycool

Football
Eamon Fitzmaurice:-    Just seemed to do enough to hold his place on the team without any outstanding performances. Has a load of AI medals somehow.

Hurling:-           

Timmy McCarthy:-     Never won any great deal of ball for Cork and not a prolific scoring threat. Lucky to be around when Cork had such an outstanding defence and midfield but only 2 to 3 good forwards to carry them. Consistently mediocre but allegedly 'workrate' got him through. Another hip pocket full of AI medals

Joe O'Connor:-        Corner back for Limerick in 1996. I never seen the hurling in him yet he's got a few Munster medals on the mantlepiece

the colonel

dont really rate timmy mccarthy but he was brilliant last yr against waterford in the all ireland semi. stepped up to the plate when they really needed him

qub la la la

jason sherlock is one of the most overrated players of all-time!

Armagh CĂșchulainns

in terms of being an overachiever - i would classify this as a sh1te player on a good county team Mal Mackin continually overachieves in my view and how he comes on as a sub in any game for Armagh is the biggest overachievment of all.
Its all about the Hurling.