Joe Brolly has discussion with Jamie Bryson

Started by imtommygunn, October 31, 2021, 06:28:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baile Brigín 2

Silver hill

Quote from: the_daddy on December 26, 2021, 01:14:02 PM
Quote from: Silver hill on December 26, 2021, 12:04:34 AM
Unfortunately, I can't defend my Ulster neighbour. There are assholes in every county but I've witnessed and heard too many anecdotal evidence from other counties to not come to the conclusion that there's a real scummy element that follow the red hand.
Majority are well behaved and great gaels but that arsehole element really gets them a bad name.
No issue to the same level with any other county in Ulster or Ireland.

And before the Tyronies jump on here, it's nothing to do with jealousy or their success. Was going on way before they won any silverware of note.

I'm happy to acknowledge there are plenty of dickheads in the Tyrone support but there are lots of arseholes in every county especially when the bandwagon support and the young lads in buses come out in the summer, it happens every time. Other than 1 or 2 lunatics, you'll not hear much negativity during the league about any county that has a decent travelling support.
It is a bit rich to say your biggest rivals are the worst offenders there's been no shortage of arseholes in your own support in the past when you've been going well and when your summer support has to come out again then I'm sure it'll be the same clubs that have the primary offenders

Untrue. It just doesn't happen to the same level as it does in Tyrone. The evidence coming in via anecdotal stories from the other counties is overwhelming. No other county in Ulster behaves the way they do in a consistently ill tempered and ill mannered way. It's a group thing or mob mentality that materialises when the red hand is on show; otherwise moderate and sane people (male and female) morph into fouls mouthed lunatics.
It can't be just brushed off as one or two bad apples as you have attempted to do.
Down, Armagh, Cavan, Fermanagh, donegal etc, just doesn't happen.

tippmaninlaois

Quote from: clarshack on December 25, 2021, 11:20:25 PM
Quote from: red hander on December 25, 2021, 07:43:31 PM
Quote from: tippmaninlaois on December 25, 2021, 07:17:02 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on December 25, 2021, 07:04:44 PM
I remember Monaghan supporters more than a few times going on about taking the queen's pound, this was when Ireland needed the bail out. I was quick to remind them we bailing you c***ts out, no answer. Donegal or cavan supporters never came out with this, Had a real hatred to monaghan supporters ever since.

I'm interested to hear how northern nationalists "bailed" us out?

When the northern state is bailed out every year to the tune of how many billion a year ?

And the British state itself stepped in to save their own banking sector by propping up their Irish subsidiaries with their benevolent "loan" which also carried the highest rate of interest

My view

We should have refused the benevolence,let those banks fail,spread the contagion and let the British taxpayer then foot the tab.

As a tipp man the only experience I've had of our northern brethren was at the u21 football all ireland

Where we were roundly abused unprovoked by Tyrone fans as free state bastards every though there's not an iota of history or games or grief between the 2 counties

It goes both ways

I was at that game too, and if you were abused by some arseholes then that's a disgrace, but to say you were roundly abused suggests we were all at it, which is just pure bullshit.

the Tipp players were no angels that day and then they had the cheek to cry and whinge afterwards with Feargal Logan even banned from their dressing room. Then in the qualifier game a few months later in Thurles Colm Cavanagh was stamped on in a real dirty action by a Tipp player. Think they had a right few of their team booked that day too. Yet Tyrone are the bad guys.

Logan and the Tyrone management weren't welcome in the Tipperary dressing room after their behaviour during the game

This has never been done before or since to any opposition management by the Tipperary management in either code and is an indication of what went on at pitch side and on the pitch as well,

A concerted premeditated effort of "sledging" with even one player getting verbals from a number of Tyrone players over a recent family suicide.

We are surrounded by every rival possible in hurling and while we have our rivalry's what we went on that day was something we had never faced before.

Silver hill

Quote from: the_daddy on December 26, 2021, 05:40:17 PM
Quote from: Silver hill on December 26, 2021, 04:55:52 PM
Quote from: the_daddy on December 26, 2021, 01:14:02 PM
Unfortunately, I can't defend my Ulster neighbour. There are assholes in every county but I've witnessed and heard too many anecdotal evidence from other counties to not come to the conclusion that there's a real scummy element that follow the red hand.
Majority are well behaved and great gaels but that arsehole element really gets them a bad name.

And before the Tyronies jump on here, it's nothing to do with jealousy or their success. Was going on way before they won any silverware of note.

I'm happy to acknowledge there are plenty of dickheads in the Tyrone support but there are lots of arseholes in every county especially when the bandwagon support and the young lads in buses come out in the summer, it happens every time. Other than 1 or 2 lunatics, you'll not hear much negativity during the league about any county that has a decent travelling support.
It is a bit rich to say your biggest rivals are the worst offenders there's been no shortage of arseholes in your own support in the past when you've been going well and when your summer support has to come out again then I'm sure it'll be the same clubs that have the primary offenders

Untrue. It just doesn't happen to the same level as it does in Tyrone. The evidence coming in via anecdotal stories from the other counties is overwhelming. No other county in Ulster behaves the way they do in a consistently ill tempered and ill mannered way. It's a group thing or mob mentality that materialises when the red hand is on show; otherwise moderate and sane people (male and female) morph into fouls mouthed lunatics.
It can't be just brushed off as one or two bad apples as you have attempted to do.
Down, Armagh, Cavan, Fermanagh, donegal etc, just doesn't happen.
It's not untrue, you said yourself the majority are well behaved and great gaels. You don't get it at League games at all. It happens in every county when there's a bandwagon rolling, the arseholes usually to come in groups and from the same clubs. I've saw it at Ulster and All Ireland football finals as a neutral and occasionally at hurling finals and it's always when you get a group of liquored up slabbers. You can point the finger at Tyrone all you want and cite anecdotal evidence but that's as much to do with the fact they've played more big games than the counties you've listed over the last 25 years and there's certainly a couple of those counties that aren't shy about giving it to Tyrone and you don't hear much about it.

Balls.
Dublin have way bigger support and have been involved in way more big games than any other county and they don't have the reputation that Tyrone have. Neither do Kerry.
Ask yourself this question, where does the poor reputation come from... is everyone else in the country making it up?

RedHand88

Things Ive heard sung at us over the years...

"Go home and pay your taxes to your Queen"
"Id rather be a Euro than a pound"
General go home to the UK sort of crap.

In my experience the worst offenders were Cavan/Donegal though I know that is merely one persons experience and not necessarily a general trend.
Its not just at football either. Years ago I was at a concert in Phoenix park. Friend and I were walking past Aras na Uachtarain, he made the comment "theres our Marys house" (McAleese was president at the time. Some passerbys heard him and his accent and said "Shes not your Mary, but shes our Mary". The idiots didnt even realise McAleese, the President of Ireland, was from the north.

Im not a big FAI man at all but would be interesting to know if this sort of stuff goes on at their matches or is it just GAA?

Main Street

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on December 26, 2021, 01:35:39 PM
Quote from: Main Street on December 24, 2021, 08:44:43 PM
The controversy is all in Baile Brigin's head.

"totally lost it"  ;D , by Joe's standards he's just shooting the breeze on Virgin Media Sport and actually talking some sense.

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/video-huge-reaction-as-joe-brolly-accuses-people-in-republic-of-ireland-of-inaction-as-troubles-unfolded-41180649.html
Perhaps your research as usual stopped after reading the BT headline. The twitter comments to the linked VM video  are in the main  strongly supportive of the bold Joe's comments.

RedHand88

Quote from: Main Street on December 26, 2021, 08:17:25 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on December 26, 2021, 01:35:39 PM
Quote from: Main Street on December 24, 2021, 08:44:43 PM
The controversy is all in Baile Brigin's head.

"totally lost it"  ;D , by Joe's standards he's just shooting the breeze on Virgin Media Sport and actually talking some sense.

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/video-huge-reaction-as-joe-brolly-accuses-people-in-republic-of-ireland-of-inaction-as-troubles-unfolded-41180649.html
Perhaps your research as usual stopped after reading the BT headline. The twitter comments to the linked VM video  are in the main  strongly supportive of the bold Joe's comments.

Thought the exact same myself.

Itchy

Quote from: RedHand88 on December 26, 2021, 08:10:51 PM

In my experience the worst offenders were Cavan/Donegal though I know that is merely one persons experience and not necessarily a general trend.
Its not just at football either. Years ago I was at a concert in Phoenix park. Friend and I were walking past Aras na Uachtarain, he made the comment "theres our Marys house" (McAleese was president at the time. Some passerbys heard him and his accent and said "Shes not your Mary, but shes our Mary". The idiots didnt even realise McAleese, the President of Ireland, was from the north.

Im not a big FAI man at all but would be interesting to know if this sort of stuff goes on at their matches or is it just GAA?

You've heard Cavan fans singing this at a match? I've been to about I'd say 90% minimum of our games for the last 30 years and I've never heard our supporters sing anything. We don't go in for soccer style singing in Cavan. If you said you heard some gobshite shout that I'd believe you but singing, don't think so.

ardtole

Quote from: Itchy on December 26, 2021, 08:35:31 PM

You've heard Cavan fans singing this at a match? I've been to about I'd say 90% minimum of our games for the last 30 years and I've never heard our supporters sing anything. We don't go in for soccer style singing in Cavan. If you said you heard some gobshite shout that I'd believe you but singing, don't think so.

Id have to agree with Itchy here, very rarely do you hear soccer style chanting at gaa games. Ive been following Down for a long time too and I cant actually remember off hand any particular insult directed at me because we were from the north.

RedHand88

Im not making it up. Yes they were gobshites and I never said they were representative of Cavan but it 100% happened. It was on the Hill in Clones in 2005, Tyrone v Cavan Ulster SF

tyrone08

Quote from: charlieTully on December 26, 2021, 12:22:00 PM

Shower of tramps. Wouldn't even wish them a happy Xmas.

😂😂

FermGael

But you didn't hear
"There's no F**cking London in Tyrone"

Only soccer chant I have ever heard at a match in Ulster
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

RedHand88

Quote from: FermGael on December 26, 2021, 10:04:08 PM

But you didn't hear
"There's no F**cking London in Tyrone"

Only soccer chant I have ever heard at a match in Ulster

Have heard it sung yes. Its a disgrace.

TwoUpTwoDown

There's wrong'uns everywhere. I spent time living in Munster and a very prominent County footballer give me awful abuse throughout the game. F**k off back to UK you British c**t etc for large elements of the game. And I mean repetitive over and over. We got well beat on the day but I held him scoreless from play so I was happy enough...I actually clipped him at the end when he said something one time too many...the other corner forward came over and told him he deserved it!

Long story short, my whole experience living in the south was filled with the exact thing Joe is talking about. Absolutely clueless with no idea what has happened in the North. It was so infuriating.

red hander

Been going to Ireland games since 1984 and have been regular away traveller for 22 years since I was able to afford it as a worker, and have never heard any abuse directed at northerners. A good proportion of travelling (and home) fans are from the occupied six.