Senior Hurlers 2022

Started by mcwregor, December 16, 2021, 10:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clonadmad

It's going to be an even harder sell to get any prospective manager in,when you read the previous few posts.

Getting players to commit was always a huge issue here but when you have the committed leaving,it doesn't become the most attractive of propositions for any potential manager.

Spiritof86

He's been offered the job but will wait to the weekend to make a decision. The situation with player unavailability will surely come into his thinking . A regular common problem is this county

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Spiritof86 on September 01, 2022, 11:57:16 AM
He's been offered the job but will wait to the weekend to make a decision. The situation with player unavailability will surely come into his thinking . A regular common problem is this county

https://www.leinsterexpress.ie/news/gaa/900510/willie-maher-offered-laois-senior-hurling-job.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook&fbclid=IwAR1VRMW-XfMIFgB3h8N1N6kgqD3j7aP4Pk5x_SiIqujUlZ8rXhM7VrTDINA

Does this not seem a very strange way to do business?
Was it a full county board meeting or a sub committee meeting?

Surely you establish interest, interview, decide, offer, get a commitment and then go to a CB meeting to have it ratified.
Is that not the way it has been everywhere for the last 30 years!

Maybe I'm reading too much into this and maybe he has already agreed to accept, but it's a strange way to go about things and a potentially damaging one at that!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

blueandwhite1

Never heard of him. Managed Tipp underage teams 10 years ago?

Sounds like an underwhelming choice.

Laoisred

Well known, as a good hurling coach among hurling people. Former Tipp minor captain. Beyond Tipp Minor, Tipp u21 he was a selector under Derek McGrath in Waterford in 2014. Managed Cuala to 2 Dublin titles back to back in 2019 and 2020. Has been linked with Tipp and Dublin jobs in the past but has been overlooked. Currently with Bennettsbridge in Kilkenny and they seem to be going fine under him. Hes young (43) and has a good reputation as a coach. Can't comment on inter-county management ability but Laois could do much worse that Willie Maher in my view.

clonadmad

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on September 02, 2022, 01:41:16 PM
Never heard of him. Managed Tipp underage teams 10 years ago?

Sounds like an underwhelming choice.

Well known and regarded amongst hurling people

Has all the right attributes age profile etc needed for Laois

Was front runner in tipp until sheedy came in for his second stint,so he won't be lacking in motivation to do well

Maher in as manager with 2/3 of the excellent laois coaches delaney/Doran/Jackman/Fotz etc and you have a progressive ticket

Then you just have to address the age old problem of lads committing

An excellent appointment if he agrees to take it

If it doesn't,given how the county board have gone about it,there will be egg on faces

Spiritof86

Not looking promising for a Willie Maher for Laois position. His namesake in Laois in playing hurling circles not having it . Good old Laois politics .

Laois man

Any update on Senior hurling manager?

Robbo

Quote from: Spiritof86 on September 05, 2022, 05:17:46 PM
Not looking promising for a Willie Maher for Laois position. His namesake in Laois in playing hurling circles not having it . Good old Laois politics .

Read this 10 Times and still no idea what youre on about

bluespower

Did yer man take the job or what's the story,? or are we waiting for Santy Claus to bring us a new manager at Christmas.

Laois man

A lads still nothing on a new hurling manager we are a total laughing stock at this time.

High Fielder

Maher could probably write his own cheque at this stage. Clearly it's him or more uncertainty

Ogie

Delay in ratifying Maher is a worry
I think it would be a good appointment, would there be any chance he could bring David Franks on board, Ballygunners coach
Both Maher & Franks living in Kilkenny, top class coach

With Laois selectors / coaches from Arien Delaney, Tommy Fitz. Seamus Dwyer, Ciaran Comerford, Eamon Jackman, with one of these being the U20 manager

clonadmad

According to the Laois Today article,did the County Board say that Maher was to be back to them last weekend,with his decision?

burdizzo

That's what I had in my head, too.
Outside that, I'd also heard Ryan O'Dwyer was the only one who was even interested in the job.
Could be turning into a bit of a fiasco!