Senior Hurlers 2022

Started by mcwregor, December 16, 2021, 10:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueandwhite1

Quote from: clonadmad on March 03, 2022, 11:05:21 AM
I wouldnt have any expectation of a Laois win Antrim tbh

basing it on form lines alone

KK bet us by 17,they bet Antrim by 4 and Antrim fought them all the way

Antrim had a penalty to beat Waterford with the last puck of the ball and McManus drove it over the bar

Our Performance v Waterford

I dont think anyone needs to be reminded about

It was always going to come down to beating Offaly in a relegation final.

Yep. A great year for us is that we win one league match (like beating Antrim next Sunday) and avoid relegation play-off. But a good year is to win the league and championship relegation play-offs and a creditable championship performance. Might be a low ambition but it is where we are. I agree that we have the players but the performances this year have been poorer than last year so far. Antrim are definitely a step up but then again they were at their best last year in the league but we were much better than them in the Championship. They could give us at trimming on Sunday based on how we are going so far and we could still manage to beat Offaly and hold onto our Liam McCarthy status.

Laois man

No word on a hurling team for Sundays game same as last week what the story here?

town1980

Unfortunately our level is the level below were currently operating

G@@

Antrim had a penalty to beat Waterford with the last puck of the ball and McManus drove it over the bar

I'd say that above was printed off an pinned up in the Laois dressing room for motivation.

Good performance today from the lads. What on earth happened for Jack Kelly to get red-carded? Great effort from the lads when their backs were to the wall numerically. Cha's finishing point was sweet.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

clonadmad

Quote from: G@@ on March 06, 2022, 05:49:49 PM

I'd say that above was printed off an pinned up in the Laois dressing room for motivation.

Good performance today from the lads. What on earth happened for Jack Kelly to get red-carded? Great effort from the lads when their backs were to the wall numerically. Cha's finishing point was sweet.

I couldn't care less

Some performance

Down 14 men for 40 mins and we pulled it off

League place secured now regardless

Laois man

Great win well done. But if Antrim beat Tipp we are in bother.

Robbo

Quote from: Laois man on March 06, 2022, 06:25:10 PM

Nope. Tipp beat KK and ourselves so we're safe.
And they'll beat Antrim too.

Delighted for the lads. Extra pace in defence was very important. Allows us to go man-for-man. Thought Picky really stood up wit Cha, Dunphy and Purcell all excellent too. What a point to win it.

Didn't look like a red card from the stand but seemigly it was clear-cut on tv.

G@@

https://www.gaa.ie/hurling/news/allianz-hl-d1-laois-edge-out-antrim/

"It is a win that means they are safe for another year at this level with a game to spare as Antrim cannot catch them.

Even if the Saffrons defeat Tipperary next week and Laois lose to Dublin, Laois will stay ahead of them on the head to head rule.

Antrim will face either Offaly or Limerick in the relegation playoff after the round robin phase of the competition concludes.
"

We're safe!
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

Kidder81

No it will come down to head to head

Joeythelips

Quote from: G@@ on March 06, 2022, 08:51:45 PM

https://www.gaa.ie/hurling/news/allianz-hl-d1-laois-edge-out-antrim/

"It is a win that means they are safe for another year at this level with a game to spare as Antrim cannot catch them.

Even if the Saffrons defeat Tipperary next week and Laois lose to Dublin, Laois will stay ahead of them on the head to head rule.

Antrim will face either Offaly or Limerick in the relegation playoff after the round robin phase of the competition concludes.
"

We're safe!

Imagine getting to a relegation decider and you have to play Limerick  :o

Zooming around

Well done to our hurlers who have guaranteed yet another year at the very top level. Huge achievement.

redsetanta

Real gutsy performance and win. The momentum was all with Antrim going into the last few minutes but Laois dug deep and got over the line. You can't beat that bit of class as Cha showed to win the game. Went one way but knew he'd be blocked so turned and shot over his other shoulder. Brilliant point.

Great to have a Laois game on TG4 that was entertaining and we won. Great finish for the neutral.

I wasn't at the game but it was a very poor Laois crowd in to witness a great performance. When Antrim got moving you could really hear their crowd.

Lastly it was brilliant to win the way we did with it being Jack Nolan's last game (although he hinted he might be back). He's seen a lot more bad days than good but then again what's seldom is wonderful.

Best of luck to Jack and hopefully we hear him again behind the microphone.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

blueandwhite1

Took great character to win that match. Although we have huge room to improve and quite a few players are hurling well within their ability, it was a super result with 14-men.

Rowland and the full back line hurled well. Still not convinced about the mix in the half back line but at times did well to turn the ball over. Struggled when Antrim ran at them. When Hartnett comes back into the corner it gives us more options on the wings. Fiachra did well in the middle. Paddy Purcell, Cha and Picky were excellent. James Keyes certainly showing more and more that he can add a lot and will learn from that sort of a cauldron. Good to see PJ back and contributing. I hope we can improve now for the Dublin match. 

Interesting to see Westmeath beaten by Down and Carlow held by Kildare. The ranks of the second tier (of which I would still count us) are busier than they used to be.

Giovanni

Yes, I agree. It was great to get the win but there is really a lot of room for improvement.

The discipline seems really pretty poor and I'm not just talking about red cards. I don't know what the stats are but we seemed to give away a load of frees. We got away with it yesterday but 9 times out of 10, you won't get away with that. And despite the excitement of the game, I still don't think we have really reached the intensity levels that we are capable of.

Jd

While we talk about indiscipline I think that because it's a laois player then refs are more inclined to give a red. Take Jack Kelly's pull..... If a tipp or kk or limerick player did it would it be a straight red?? Gearoid Heagarty pulled twice across a clare man's head and still only got a second yellow. Smaller teams get harsher punishments I feel. As a further point how many times did laois players get shoulders to the head yesterday with no sanction. I counted at least 3 which were worthy of reds in my opinion