Tyrone V Donegal

Started by Tyrones own, May 27, 2007, 06:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on June 19, 2007, 08:38:32 AM
If I was a Tyrone man I'd have Mellon ahead of McGinley any day, he's quicker, more accurate & a better fielder of the ball. He also matches McGinley's work rate & is a better ball carrier. No contest IMO!

Would have to disagree there slightly GDS, IMHO Mc Ginley has consistently been one of our most effective, but most underrated, performers when he's in the groove (which he wasn't on Sunday). That's not to say, however, that when Mellon is on song it wouldn't be something of a toss-up* between the two.

Edit: * depending on the opponent and the type of game.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Over the Bar

QuoteIf I was a Tyrone man I'd have Mellon ahead of McGinley any day, he's quicker, more accurate & a better fielder of the ball. He also matches McGinley's work rate & is a better ball carrier. No contest IMO!

You are right it's no contest, however the other way around!   EMcG is just coming back from long term injury and missed most of last season because of it, which told it's tale on Sunday.   Hewas sorely missed as a target man in the 04 championship campaign and carried Tyrone duing the 04/05 league campaign as our Mr Versatility playing anywhere from no 8 to 15.  Mellon has promise as a half forward but has a long way to go to reach EMcG's level.

Norf Tyrone

McGinley was def the most under rated player in 2005 for Tyrone, although for me Mellon was man of the match in the AI final.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

tbrick18

Who would Tyrone rather meet in the Ulster final....Derry or Monaghan?
As a Derry man I'd prefer to play Tyrone than Donegal, not because I think Donegal are a better team, but because I think Derry will find it easier to lift their game against Tyrone. That is provided we beat Monaghan, by no means a certainty.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: tbrick18 on June 19, 2007, 11:23:51 AM

Personally, I'd prefer Derry, for much the same reason as you've preferred ourselves -- don't think there'd be any shortage of motivation for the challenge.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

tbrick18

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 19, 2007, 11:28:23 AM
Quote from: tbrick18 on June 19, 2007, 11:23:51 AM

Personally, I'd prefer Derry, for much the same reason as you've preferred ourselves -- don't think there'd be any shortage of motivation for the challenge.

I think this would be a good game...too close to call too. A lot would depend on the injury front on both sides and of course who the ref is!

nrico2006

Whats the latest with Paddy Bradley?  Was there not talk of his ban standing after all? 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

tyroneman

From Hogan Stand...........................

Bradley in the clear

Derry's Paddy Bradley
08 June 2007

Paddy Bradley will be available for Derry's entire Ulster SFC campaign, according to newspaper reports.

The Oak Leaf County's star attacker was facing the prospect of having his 12-week ban re-imposed earlier in the week, but it is now believed that he may not even have to face the Derry Hearings Committee again.

Bradley's appeal to the Disputes Resolution Authority was referred back to the Derry board on the grounds that they breached "fair procedure". His case hung on the fact that a member of the Derry Hearings Committee was an umpire to the referee who sent Bradley off in Glenullin's league clash with Loup in April.

But it's now understood that recent comments made by Derry referees administrator Mickey Convery have prejudiced the case against the forward. Convery indicated that he expected the ban to be re-imposed and Bradley's legal representatives are set to argue that he has no chance of a fair trial as a result.

The case was due to be heard after Derry's refixed Ulster SFC quarter-final against Antrim on Sunday, but is unlikely to take place now, leaving Bradley free to play for the rest of the summer.

Mr. Nakata

It was interesting to hear the analysts on the Championship bringing up the fact that it was the 10th anniversary of Paul McGirr's death and Tyrone may have performed to such a high level, with such intensity as a fitting tribute to young McGirr, or that it may have been in the forefront of their minds in the build up to the game. I imagine the oakleaf build up will be similar in many respects with the passing of Eamon Coleman, and the team will want to put in a performance as a fitting tribute to such a legend. I imagine there will be fire in the bellies next Sunday. Of course, Tyrone's performances after Cormac's death were pretty woeful, which was totally expected as it was so unexpected, such a loss and at such a young age.

Fuzzman

Hard to believe how long it is since Derry last met Tyrone in the Ulster final.
1957 - Tyrone 1-09  Derry 0-10

As I went to school in Derry we had mad rivalry there for years up until 2002 when we really hated each other
Now Armagh have gladly taken that mantle though the sound of thon South Derry boyz Sur shuld get anyone going.

Best day out for me was when I drove 2 Derry lads and me and another Newtownstewart lad to the infamous 1995 semi final.
It was a long journey home for them lads as we stopped off at Kellys for refreshments and more singing...
We beat Derry with 13 men do dah
and there's no London in Tyrone.

Likewise I have bad memories of the 1987 Ulster final v Monaghan, as it was my first final and even though Paddy Ball played well Nudie Hughes ran the show

Hope We can stay injury free between now and then and Aghyaran behave themselves

Can you fill in the blanks

Tyrone win Ulster in 1956, ‘57, ‘73, ‘84, ‘86, ‘89, ‘95, ‘96, '01, '03
2003 Down
2001 Cavan
1996 Cavan
1995 Down
1989 Donegal
1986 Down
1984 Armagh
1957 Derry

Derry 1958, 1970, 1975, 1976, 1987, 1993, 1998

nrico2006

Fuzzman,

1973 - Down
1956 - Cavan
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

tbrick18

Quote from: tyroneman on June 19, 2007, 01:00:11 PM
From Hogan Stand...........................

Bradley in the clear

Derry's Paddy Bradley
08 June 2007

Paddy Bradley will be available for Derry's entire Ulster SFC campaign, according to newspaper reports.

The Oak Leaf County's star attacker was facing the prospect of having his 12-week ban re-imposed earlier in the week, but it is now believed that he may not even have to face the Derry Hearings Committee again.

Bradley's appeal to the Disputes Resolution Authority was referred back to the Derry board on the grounds that they breached "fair procedure". His case hung on the fact that a member of the Derry Hearings Committee was an umpire to the referee who sent Bradley off in Glenullin's league clash with Loup in April.

But it's now understood that recent comments made by Derry referees administrator Mickey Convery have prejudiced the case against the forward. Convery indicated that he expected the ban to be re-imposed and Bradley's legal representatives are set to argue that he has no chance of a fair trial as a result.

The case was due to be heard after Derry's refixed Ulster SFC quarter-final against Antrim on Sunday, but is unlikely to take place now, leaving Bradley free to play for the rest of the summer.

By all accounts Bradley will start. He had an injury but played a full part in training on Sunday.
I reckon there is no chance his ban will be re-imposed, partially because of what the link above says and partially because Crozier took him on for a few mins against Antrim. If there was any chance he'd have his ban re-imposed it would now run from when he last played a game, so playing that recently would have ruled him out of a potential Ulster Final. There's no chance Crozier would have risked not having him for that, so I reckon he already knew he would be clear to play the rest of the season.
I think with Bradley playing Derry should win by 4-5 points. If we had Kevin McGuckain playin it would be a lot more, but witout him our defence will struggle with a fast forward line like monaghan have.

Fuzzman

Tyrone win Ulster in 1956, '57, '73, '84, '86, '89, '95, '96, '01, '03
2003 Down
2001 Cavan
1996 Cavan
1995 Down
1989 Donegal
1986 Down
1984 Armagh
1973 Down
1957 Derry
1956 Cavan

Surprisingly in the 10 Ulster titles Tyrone have that 4 were against Down and 3 v Cavan
Anyone have any stats on the finals we lost?

T Fearon

Fuzzman your memory's bad alright considering it was Derry and Armagh who contested the 1987 Ulster Final. Twas 1988 when Nudie made a monkey out of Aidan Skelton. Tyrone played in all red that day...the same colour as their faces at the end of the game! ;D

rrhf

Tony at least they stayed to the "end of the game" not skirtin off 14 minutes before the end.