Tyrone V Donegal

Started by Tyrones own, May 27, 2007, 06:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 18, 2007, 01:15:34 PM
Quote from: J70 on June 18, 2007, 01:12:08 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 18, 2007, 09:38:27 AM
Anyone been speaking to wee Martin Mc Hugh?  ;D

What's with all this McHugh crap? Is he public enemy no. 1 in Tyrone? Is this still over the supposedly (and very much in the eye of the beholder) bitter comments he made about Tyrone during the Fermanagh game?

"Crap"? Simple question, I'd truly like to hear what he has to say about yesterday. And no, it's not just over one previous match, but he has form where Tyrone's concerned, going back a lot further than the Fermanagh game. Why so sensitive?

Just curious. Some Tyrone supporters on here were complaining about him after the last game, while Ryan McMenamin had a few words to say about him after the game yesterday. I think some of you are a bit sensitive.

ziggysego

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 18, 2007, 01:15:34 PM
Quote from: J70 on June 18, 2007, 01:12:08 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 18, 2007, 09:38:27 AM
Anyone been speaking to wee Martin Mc Hugh?  ;D

What's with all this McHugh crap? Is he public enemy no. 1 in Tyrone? Is this still over the supposedly (and very much in the eye of the beholder) bitter comments he made about Tyrone during the Fermanagh game?

"Crap"? Simple question, I'd truly like to hear what he has to say about yesterday. And no, it's not just over one previous match, but he has form where Tyrone's concerned, going back a lot further than the Fermanagh game. Why so sensitive?

He looked a little shaky last night Fear ón Srath Bán. Said that Donegal collapse, but full credit must go to Tyrone who were unstoppable.
Testing Accessibility

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: J70 on June 18, 2007, 01:18:34 PM

Just curious. Some Tyrone supporters on here were complaining about him [Martin Mc Hugh] after the last game, while Ryan McMenamin had a few words to say about him after the game yesterday. I think some of you are a bit sensitive.

Not sensitive so much, but I will admit to a certain degree of Schadenfreude where he's concerned, in particular. All part of the price of being a high-profile pundit when you take pops at teams where those teams' countyfolk feel that it's a little unjustified or over the top. He's had worse said about him I'm sure  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

EannaAbu

there was no comment on the tyrone penalty yesterday.....should it not have been a 14 yard free, if the goalie concedes a technical foul inside the wee square

thought someone would have mentioned it on tele, or i am totally wrong

Kerry Mike

Great performance by Tyrone yesterday and good to see them back to their best. Hope we get a crack of ye later in the summer, should make for an interesting outcome.

2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

goldenyears

did anyone else think that jim carney was an absolute tool yesterday! his commentary was fkn terrible.....i hate the southern commentators discussing "typical ulster games" etc they havent a clue. getting things wrong, names wrong, calling wides/frees for reasons they obviously arent etc....really pissed me off watching the game, having to listen to those muppets

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Kerry Mike on June 18, 2007, 01:27:44 PM
Great performance by Tyrone yesterday and good to see them back to their best. Hope we get a crack of ye later in the summer, should make for an interesting outcome.

Sláinte KM, and great to be back too!  ;) I have an inkling Cork will prevail in Munster this year, not that that will floor the Kingdom.

Maximus Marillius

Any fouls by the defending team inside the wee square is a penalty

Fuzzman

Ah Lads did the Fuzz not foretell ye this last Week

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=3009.255
I think if we start this match like we used to do in 2003 and blow them away early with loads of fast passing moves and fast ball into FF line then Donegal could crumble. Teams expect us now to build slowly from the back and run the ball into scoring positions. My attitude is kick much more and if the FF line is making good runs into space then the pass doesnt have to be that accurate. Even if they play a sweeper just use a diff corner to kick it into

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?action=profile;u=132;sa=showPosts;start=30
BTW I think Dooher has the legs and watch him get better. He was awesome for us against EC but I know County is a step up. He'll be fine but a wee bit slower.
I think McGinley will struggle too against any descent FF. Is Joey injured again or just being fat and lazy?
I can see a cracker game and maybe 2.18 to 1.17 to Tyrone.
No more negative defensive football.

What did you say Fear on Srath Ban on Friday?
..."I'll have a pint of that too please! "

Was great to watch as a Tyrone fan in the middle of a lot of Donegal fans.
Even the trip back to Dublin was smooth as no traffic and got to watch the Dubs game in nearby bar
The Monaghan locals there seem very confident of beating Derry and reckon could really put it up to us.

Was very impressed with Dooher and thought Mugsy's ball to Stevie was awesome as was his pass to Mulgrew. Best game for Mugsy since 2005 final.
Must not get carried away of course but think that should stop some of ye so called loyal fans giving out about our lack of scorers.

Very impressed that Mickey made the quick call on McGinley. Even Enda had a bad off day but I'd say training will interesting for next month.
Nice to see we can be that good without Big Sean and Stevie not that involved.
Was surprised though how Donegal just lay down after 2nd goal and had no leaders to stand up and fight(metaphoracally)

Did anyone else think Donegal were very dirty yesterday?
Did anyone see the hit Colm Cavananagh got to the stones. I saw him go down but heard later it was a punch to the gonads. Thought they targeted him a bit as did the Dubs in the NFL game. Think the attitude is to scare the young talented lads before they do any damage. Mulgrew took his goal very well though was close to too many steps I thought

Here's the match report from the lazy journalist in the Irish Indo.
They didnt even bother to put the author's name on it but it is scattered with errors and inconsistencies.
Still at least they gave it a bit more glory than they did on Sunday game and the Take your points RTE chat show

Ulster SFC semi-final

Tyrone find form
Dooher's Red Hands inflict first defeat of year on league champs

Tyrone 2-15 Donegal 1-7

DURING a break in play to allow medical attention for an injury to Donegal's Paddy Campbell, a short silence fell across St Tiernach's Park in Clones.

However, a lone voice could be heard reverberating across the field of play. Tyrone's menacing defensive presence Ryan McMenamin was using the time-out to send an important message to those in close enough proximity to hear him.

Gesturing to colleagues and clapping his hands intently, McMenamin was snarling what most of the 21,985 crowd for this Ulster semi-final were sensing.

"We have them. We have them. They can't handle it, they can't handle it," laughed McMenamin with that grin that has sent many a chastened opponent's temperature soaring.

To some there may have been an element of distaste to what he said, but he spoke the truth. They had them. Donegal couldn't handle it.

It will be Donegal's epitaph from Clones yesterday and maybe for some time to come. They finished the game with 13 players as frustration told in the actions of Colm McFadden and Kevin McMenamin in the closing stages.

McFadden felled Colm Cavanagh with a punch to the face for a straight red on 68 minutes; McMenamin, already on a booking, fired a ball at his Tyrone namesake two minutes later, netting a second yellow. Referee David Coldrick didn't realise a red card was due for more than a minute as play continued.

Any headway Donegal were making at that stage was on individual initiative. In contrast Tyrone were a team. Everything they did had team ethic written all over it, Raymond Mulgrew's goal on 52 minutes a case in point.

If there's a better construction of a goal in this year's championship then we'll be privileged to see it. The impressive Colm McCullagh's deft pass to Stephen O'Neill provided the opening, O'Neill's exchange to Owen Mulligan had Mulgrew primed in space for the killer touch. He delivered. More than that, he showed that the downpayment of potential he banked since the 2004 All-Ireland minor championship is now nearing maturity.

Spinning

Mulgrew's goal on 52 minutes pushed Tyrone 2-11 to 1-5 clear and had them spinning for the exits. Brian McIver figured they could have made the same charge after just 20 minutes, so bad were Donegal.

There weren't any explanations, only that Donegal couldn't live with Tyrone's pace. Mickey Harte offered the best and somewhat abstract reason for why Donegal collapsed.

Sometimes, mused Harte, the more you win, the closer you are to defeat. It had to happen. Donegal were sitting targets and Tyrone took lethal aim.

After winning their last 10 competitive games, defeat could come as a release of pressure for Donegal. It was only their fourth defeat in 26 competitive (league and championship) games under McIver. But it has already been a long season.

Harte warned afterwards about rising expectation. In his four previous years as manager, only one Ulster title has been claimed so the motivation for now is clear.

But their prospects have brightened. They have the right men coming right at the right time. McMenamin controlled centre-back, where he had tracked Adrian Sweeney; Conor Gormley threw the shackles on Brendan Devenney; Philip Jordan and Davy Harte got forward, Kevin Hughes had too much mobility for Neil Gallagher, while McCullagh, Mulgrew and Mulligan showed lovely touches.

But one man stood head and shoulders above them all. Brian Dooher gave a performance that belied his 32 years and, more significantly, his recent history of injuries.

He finished with five points, two off a left foot that few can remember him doing much with before, but it was his appetite that had Harte drooling afterwards.

He got the show on the road with a rare left-footed stroke and by the time he had kicked his fifth on 51 minutes, he was on his third marker, with Karl Lacey detailed to do what Eamonn McGee and Paddy McConigley had not managed.

In between, Donegal had one brief spell of dominance when they exposed Cormac McGinley's frailties by peppering Colm McFadden with quick, long ball. An modh díreach.

McFadden had the ball in the net for what looked like a superb goal after fielding above McGinley, but Coldrick had already blown for a penalty on eight minutes, which Tyrone 'keeper John Devine saved from the St Michael's man.

However, McFadden had a hand in the Donegal goal that counted two minutes later, when he spun past McGinley, floated a pass for Rory Kavanagh to catch on the edge of the square and Kavanagh put Kevin Cassidy in for another championship goal.

It provided a 1-2 to 0-2 lead, but also false security. Donegal didn't score again until added time in the half. But worse, they reverted to type, tried to work the ball in short by their more traditional route and allowed the ravenous cover to swallow them up.

By that stage the Dooher show had moved into overdrive and Tyrone had 1-6 on the board for a three-point interval lead.

The penalty from McCullagh on 34 minutes for a throw by Donegal 'keeper Paul Durcan in the square was not a harsh decision, but it is a harsh rule that penalises such an offence with a penalty.

Donegal's lethargy didn't abate after half-time. Dooher and Bonner traded points but Kevin Hughes (with what should have been a goal), Dooher again and McCullagh, from a free, opened a gap.

Donegal wilted. For Tyrone it was show time, a chance to stretch the legs. Their reassertion as prospective champions was firm and clinical.

SCORERS - Tyrone: B Dooher 0-5, C McCullagh (1-0 pen, 1f), R Mulgrew 1-1 each, O Mulligan 0-3 (2f), S O'Neill 0-2, K Hughes, D Harte, S Cavanagh 0-1 each. Donegal: K Cassidy 1-0, B Devenney (1f), C Bonner 0-2 each, K McMenamin, R Kavanagh, C McFadden all 0-1 each.

TEAMS AND PLAYER RATINGS

TYRONE - J Devine 8; D Carlin 7, C Gormley 8, C McGinley 4; D Harte 7, R McMenamin 8, P Jordan 7; K Hughes 7, S Cavanagh 7; B Dooher 9, R Mulgrew 8, E McGinley 5; C McCullagh 7, C Cavanagh 8, O Mulligan 7. Subs: J McMahon 7 for C McGinley (13), S O‘Neill 8 for E McGinley (47), R Mellon for Dooher (66).

DONEGAL - P Durcan 6; N McGee 6, P Campbell 5, K Lacey 6; P McConigley 6, B Monaghan 6, E McGee 5; N Gallagher 5, K Cassidy 7; C Bonner 7, A Sweeney 6, R Kavanagh 6; C McFadden 7, B Devenney 6, B Roper 5. Subs: K McMenamin 6 for Sweeney (47), R Bradley 5 for Roper (47), N McCready 5 for Campbell (60), S McDermott for Bonner (66).

REF - D Coldrick (Meath).

The game at a glance
Man of the match
Brian Dooher (Tyrone): He's been criticised for not having a right foot, never mind the left, from which he launched two of his five points.

Turning point
Just before half-time, Donegal 'keeper Paul Durcan was adjudged to have handled the ball on the ground in the square. Referee David Coldrick awarded the penalty, which Colm McCullagh converted for a four-point lead. Tyrone never looked back.

Talking point
Tyrone's pace blew a lethargic Donegal away. After so many injuries, they can survive without Peter Canavan and it seems, are coping without Brian McGuigan too.

They said
Mickey Harte (Tyrone manager): "They put a huge effort in since October and went through the league undefeated. The more games you go undefeated, the nearer you are to a defeat. It's going to happen some day somewhere."

Brian McIver (Donegal manager): "Tyrone were excellent, we never turned up. We were never at the races. You could have blown that match up with 20 minutes to go."

Match statistics
Wides: Tyrone 10 (5) Donegal 7 (4).

Frees: Tyrone 25 (16) Donegal 24 (13).

Yellow cards: Tyrone 1 (C McCullagh 68) Donegal 6 (B Roper 14, P McConigley 35, P Campbell 43, K McMenamin 53, 70, N Gallagher 62).

Red Cards: Donegal 2 (C McFadden 65, K McMenamin 71).

Attendance: 21,985.

What next
Tyrone advance to the Ulster final on July 15, against the winners of Monaghan and Derry. Donegal go into the All-Ireland Qualifiers.

AZOffaly

Jaysus that is brutal reporting alright. what do they be watching?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 18, 2007, 01:40:14 PM
Ah Lads did the Fuzz not foretell ye this last Week

I can see a cracker game and maybe 2.18 to 1.17 to Tyrone.
No more negative defensive football.

What did you say Fear on Srath Ban on Friday?
..."I'll have a pint of that too please! "

Respect Fuzzman, maith thú, but it was more that I couldn't see Donegal getting 1-17;)

tyroneman

QuoteTyroneman have you not school in the morning, quit embarassing the sensible Tyrone posters on here with stupid posts.

Yes Tyrone were outstanding but the way you go on you would think you have won Sam already. Also I don't think the future of an Armagh team will be based on one minor team, we were not expected to beat Donegal in the minors and were beaten by a much better Tyrone team. No harm.

I have never suggested we have won Sam already, this Tyrone team is very much a work in progress and needs a settled 15 for at least 2 games to start reaching full potential.

What annoys me however is the whining Armagh posters who cannot see it in themselves to give credit where credit is due. If Donegal were so poor why did Armagh not beat them in the first round? They played no worse than they did against Tyrone.

If I could see a bit of sense from these posters then maybe I could elevate my responses accordingly.

Quotehave you not school in the morning

and you probably don't see the irony in your own remark..............................

Mr. Nakata

Celebratory pints tasted good yesterday. The standing ovation after Dooher's substitution had me in goosebumps all over. His performance was flawless. Gormley is also a legend. Towards the end he was laughing in big Gallagher's face and pointing up to the scoreboard. Hub excellent energy as well. Thoroughly enjoyed from start to finish. Joey really does need to lay off the cake though. Great presence and great distribution but you need to be able to run. No trips to HQ last year. Been twice already this year for the Dubs in the league and the CBS in the Hogan. Another 3 outings will be greatly appreciated. That level of performance needs to be maintained of course.

J70

Quote from: Mr. Nakata on June 18, 2007, 02:04:22 PM
Gormley is also a legend. Towards the end he was laughing in big Gallagher's face and pointing up to the scoreboard.

Class act.

Fuzzman

Oh I meant to say that actually

Fair play to the GENUINE ADULT posters who congratulated Tyrone yesterday from both Armagh and Kerry as well as they other counties.

I find the best way to respond to those others sad little c***ts is with
:D ;D ;)  :D ;D ;)  :D ;D ;)  :D ;D ;)  :D ;D ;)