Ulster Club SFC 2021

Started by general_lee, November 14, 2021, 07:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

Quote from: onefaircounty on December 19, 2021, 10:35:56 PM
Quote from: Mourne Rover on December 19, 2021, 09:50:44 PM
Glen were only going to win the game if Glass dominated midfield. He hit one fine free, and got a brilliant point from play, but was otherwise crowded out of it and seldom managed a forward run. Even if Kilcoo had not come up with the goal, their pace and calmness in possession would have got them over the line.

Glass was excellent.
Thought he done rightly but didn't give enough going forward, scored a cracker from play and a few frees (i think). The number 8 that must have been only home from a sun holiday done rightly on him by being a sickener, did he win a mark all day from kickout?

onefaircounty

Quote from: Armagh18 on December 20, 2021, 12:55:22 AM
Quote from: onefaircounty on December 19, 2021, 10:35:56 PM
Quote from: Mourne Rover on December 19, 2021, 09:50:44 PM
Glen were only going to win the game if Glass dominated midfield. He hit one fine free, and got a brilliant point from play, but was otherwise crowded out of it and seldom managed a forward run. Even if Kilcoo had not come up with the goal, their pace and calmness in possession would have got them over the line.

Glass was excellent.
Thought he done rightly but didn't give enough going forward, scored a cracker from play and a few frees (i think). The number 8 that must have been only home from a sun holiday done rightly on him by being a sickener, did he win a mark all day from kickout?

He was playing a defensive midfield role so not sure what else he could have done attacking wise. Personally I would have liked to see him play a bit further forward second half but clearly instructed not too.

Got through a mountain of work when we down by those around him in first half. Dictated play, won free and breaks and kicked the best score of the game.

Kilcoo smothered him on kicks. Not many can catch clean when three men hanging out of you.

CK_Redhand

On the whole "experience" debate, I think it can be explained by survivor bias.

Better teams win more, so they play more, so they have more experience.
Success and experience are correlated by definition.  Experience is not "causal" of success.

snoopdog

While some people will say that was a poor affair yesterday, most will see it as 2 good teams well managed trying to outwit their opposition. You play to your strengths. Kilcoo set up defensively as they would've studied prob all off Glen's games this year and Glen would've done the same. To say Kilcoo can play football as good as any team when the game allows it. The final will be another close game. Derrygonnelly troubled Kilcoo more than any off their other opposition in the last ulster championship . Yesterday was similar to how they tried stopping Corofin. This time they finished it out. Be it with a fortunate goal but they were more alert than glen. Kilcoo really should've seen it out in normal time. Quite a few wides in 2nd half and balls dropped short. Glen will be back if they keep going like they have.

Wildweasel74

In Kilcoo initial forays in the Ulster Championship how did they do? Number of different teams turned them over. Experience counts for alot, it's not that long ago that Foreglen turned Glen over at Intermediate level.

toby47

Jeez i thought it was a very good game. Very intriguing & I was literally on the edge of my seat the whole time. There is more to Gaelic football than going gung-ho, kicking the ball 50 yards every time you get the ball and turning the game into a shoot out. Kilcoo were exceptional in the quarter final 2 weeks ago with a totally different style. They kicked the ball at every opportunity, left space in the forward line and got men ahead of the ball. Similarly Glen have played exciting, expansive football all year. Kilcoo went back to type for the game yesterday & it worked for them. What was their alternative? Play 15 v 15 and let Glass, McFaul, Jack Doherty & Eunan Mulholland cause them bother for 60 minutes? All 4 players mentioned there have been brilliant for Glen all year, but Kilcoo nullified each of them yesterday.

Possession was vital yesterday. Each team knew the importance of having the ball, so they took very little risks. However the intensity of the tackling, the pace when a team attacked, the execution of the basics & the ability to carry out a game play was as good as you will see in club football. Kilcoo probably always looked the better team however Glen gave them some game. Kilcoo surely favourites for the All-Ireland now & Glen will no doubt add to their first Derry championship over the next few years and will have aspirations of an Ulster when they get out of Derry again.

Derrygonnelly will also be waiting for Kilcoo with full belief they can turn them over. They have been consistent performers in Ulster club over the last number of years and are a team suited to winter football. Big, Strong with a few good score takers up front. They were impressive on Saturday evening, however i expect Kilcoo to edge it.

On a last note, the TV coverage of club football at the weekend was brilliant, its great to see club football getting national coverage and long may it continue. I watched Naas v Shelmaliers, Kilmacud Crokes v Portarlington, Derrygonnelly v Clann Eireann, Glen vs Kilcoo and Clough-Ballacolla v Ballyhale over the weekend and enjoyed it more than i would have enjoyed any county games. Theres just something different about club GAA.

smort

Quote from: toby47 on December 20, 2021, 09:31:33 AM
Jeez i thought it was a very good game. Very intriguing & I was literally on the edge of my seat the whole time. There is more to Gaelic football than going gung-ho, kicking the ball 50 yards every time you get the ball and turning the game into a shoot out. Kilcoo were exceptional in the quarter final 2 weeks ago with a totally different style. They kicked the ball at every opportunity, left space in the forward line and got men ahead of the ball. Similarly Glen have played exciting, expansive football all year. Kilcoo went back to type for the game yesterday & it worked for them. What was their alternative? Play 15 v 15 and let Glass, McFaul, Jack Doherty & Eunan Mulholland cause them bother for 60 minutes? All 4 players mentioned there have been brilliant for Glen all year, but Kilcoo nullified each of them yesterday.

Possession was vital yesterday. Each team knew the importance of having the ball, so they took very little risks. However the intensity of the tackling, the pace when a team attacked, the execution of the basics & the ability to carry out a game play was as good as you will see in club football. Kilcoo probably always looked the better team however Glen gave them some game. Kilcoo surely favourites for the All-Ireland now & Glen will no doubt add to their first Derry championship over the next few years and will have aspirations of an Ulster when they get out of Derry again.

Derrygonnelly will also be waiting for Kilcoo with full belief they can turn them over. They have been consistent performers in Ulster club over the last number of years and are a team suited to winter football. Big, Strong with a few good score takers up front. They were impressive on Saturday evening, however i expect Kilcoo to edge it.

On a last note, the TV coverage of club football at the weekend was brilliant, its great to see club football getting national coverage and long may it continue. I watched Naas v Shelmaliers, Kilmacud Crokes v Portarlington, Derrygonnelly v Clann Eireann, Glen vs Kilcoo and Clough-Ballacolla v Ballyhale over the weekend and enjoyed it more than i would have enjoyed any county games. Theres just something different about club GAA.

Totally agree. Looking forward to the opportunities a split season will provide for club games from next year onwards

yellowcard

It's a shame that the provincial competitions at least couldn't be finished before Christmas. There is something a bit anti climatic about having to wait until January now for the provincial finals. It sucks a bit of the momentum out of a competition and I actually think that the club AI series should be finished up within the calendar year. Hopefully the split season will resolve this issue.   

Christmas Lights

Club football still is king for me.  Love the county games but it warms the heart when you see a senior Ulster final between a Fermanagh and a Down team.  At club level, its an even playing field, a club team from Fermanagh can be as good as a club team from Tyrone, Donegal, Kerry or wherever. 

An Watcher

Club football is fantastic and the ulster club 8n particular is excellent.  Wasn't dying about yesterday's game but the tactics employed by both teams was really interesting.  Would love to see derrygonnelly win the final

Maroon Manc

A very boring encounter in what looked like good conditions for football, 8 points each after 60 mins says it all; In my naivety I was really looking forward to the game.

Seemed like a great crowd at the game, what was the attendance?

theticklemister

One point from play from the two full forward lines sums it up.

Wildweasel74

I still say the Dublin team Crokes, is favourites for the All-Ireland.

grounded

Quote from: toby47 on December 20, 2021, 09:31:33 AM

Great post totally agree. Add in the intrigue with Mickey Moran managing against his own club, adding to an already intense atmosphere.

lenny

Quote from: Christmas Lights on December 20, 2021, 10:26:41 AM
Club football still is king for me.  Love the county games but it warms the heart when you see a senior Ulster final between a Fermanagh and a Down team.  At club level, its an even playing field, a club team from Fermanagh can be as good as a club team from Tyrone, Donegal, Kerry or wherever.

It is great to watch and the coverage has been good. I'm worried about how many seemingly super clubs are developing around the country. In my memory it started with Crossmaglen winning 15 Armagh championships out of 16 or something ridiculous like that. Derrygonnelly have won 6 out of 7 in Fermanagh and kilcoo have won almost all of the last 10 in Down. Corofin have been extremely dominant in Galway also. I'm missing a few more similar.