20 years of the PSNI

Started by Truth hurts, November 02, 2021, 09:15:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: RedHand88 on September 04, 2023, 03:27:39 PM
Simon Byrne has resigned.
The driver of which is sort of thing that wouldn't happen anywhere else in Western Europe.
"the cries of the dead are always in our ears"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWUsSawPeVg
There is a reason FDI is so low

johnnycool

Quote from: Eire90 on September 04, 2023, 03:33:02 PM
wont really effect anyones lives.

I'm not so sure.

Change of these lads (and lassies) in leadership roles within the PSNI has to change and appointing from within will set back any reform that needs to happen.

The mentality within the PSNI where they're happy to walk alongside EB UVF in Newtownards and beyond speaks volumes to me.

Applesisapples

Quote from: naka on September 04, 2023, 03:31:40 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on September 01, 2023, 12:13:55 PM
Am I alone as a moderate nationalist, being concerned at the current direction in policing. I have good friends who are catholic PSNI officers. They allude to a culture within the force that is still in some part sectarian and anti-catholic. I have always felt that it would take time and an effort on all sides to move this on. However current events and the fact that only 26% of officers are NI born catholics is dismaying. In my view the fault here in part lies within our own community, we still are lukewarm in our acceptance of police and they have not become embedded in the community in the way that the Gardai are. The church, GAA and both main nationalist parties need to be doing more to address this. but the PSNI need to look at themselves as well. On joining the police a catholic officer is invariably advised to leave his community and live in a safe (unionist usually) area. They give up all that makes us Irish, the parish, family and the GAA. That is a barrier to recruiting Catholics. Police stations are still festooned with poppies and commemorations to the RUC. Whilst these need to have a space in fairness, it should not be in your face. The Federation in its badge and utterances is unionist in inclination, in spite of Liam Kelly, who like the turncoat has too much to prove. The nationalist community needs to encourage our young people to join, we need to make an effort to have them live in the community and be less qualified in our support. Mistakes were made at the Sean Graham's commemoration but there was a crowd there at a time when I had to wave a the hearse of family members as it passed my street because we couldn't attend the funeral and from what I saw they were not socially distant. Given that the disciplinary action was rescinded, you would wonder why the court case was taken.
I want the PSNI to succeed, there are many fine officers from both tradition doing a good job, the majority in fact. But policing is still too politicised and we are as guilty as the unionists. Time for change on all sides.
the issue though is that all nationalists aspire towards a 32 county entity so de facto its actually hard to sell joining the psni because its part of the maintenace of the status quo . ( and the money is crap)
But then why are so many nationalists in the fire service, paramedics etc also NI organised. The PSNI is a service and as such is not like the RUC an extension of the state.

Applesisapples

The Chair of the NI Black Police Officers basically saying that cultural change is required from within the PSNI and says that the Catholic Officers Guild are in agreement.

Pub Bore

The biggest obstacle in doing the job is not the Shinners or the DUP, it's the Police Federation, headed up by younger types who still think they're in the old RUC and that's the way NI should be policed...even though the chair is called Liam Kelly!.

Rossfan

What happens now...seeing as London seems to have zero interest any more?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

imtommygunn

That's the big question  :(

The DUP are probably hoping it's the leverage they were waiting for but I doubt it.

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on September 04, 2023, 05:04:48 PM
What happens now...seeing as London seems to have zero interest any more?
Drew Harris gets sacked as a reprisal using a recognised code word?

Milltown Row2

Was listening to this on the radio the last few days.

Journalists commentators and politicians saying he should go and in untenable position blah blah blah, and when he went the same fecking people were going on he went too soon and should have sorted out this and that it!!

This place with regards to governance is a shit show. Think I'll give my head a break from the news for a while
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

LC

There was an article in the IN today about how NI one of dearest places in UK for childcare, average cost for 2 kids in full time childcare in NI is north of £2k a month.  A very real problem but unsurprisingly not a single comment / contribution from a politician as ultimately it is neither a red white and blue or a green white and gold issue.  Politicians climbing over the top of other to get their tuppence in about the Chief Constable today and in recent days.  I imagine for the real people in this country struggling with cost of living issues such as childcare they could not give two f@*ks who the CC is.  Another example of how the priorities of politicians are a million miles away from the what real people are experiencing every day.

Rossfan

Ye still vote for them though :-\

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rossfan on September 04, 2023, 08:29:04 PM
Ye still vote for them though :-\

No government for a few years now, keep up
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rossfan

Ye're still paying them though🤪🥳

Orior

Quote from: Applesisapples on September 04, 2023, 04:35:09 PM
The Chair of the NI Black Police Officers basically saying that cultural change is required from within the PSNI and says that the Catholic Officers Guild are in agreement.

Fun fact.

GPA = Gaelic Players Association

and

GPA = Gay Police Association

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rossfan on September 04, 2023, 09:07:10 PM
Ye're still paying them though🤪🥳

Not really, they getting reduced wages and it's the whole of uk  ;)