Favoured Coalition Partnership

Started by belleaqua, May 26, 2007, 04:46:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What coalition partnership would you like to see formed following the Election?

FF/Labour
2 (8.3%)
FF/Greens
6 (25%)
FF/PD/Independent
11 (45.8%)
FG/Labour/Green/PD/Independents
5 (20.8%)

Total Members Voted: 22

DUBSFORSAM1

Its very simple...

Neither FF/PD's or FG/Labour won enough seats to form a govt.....therefore they are both entitled to talk to the other parties to get them to vote for them...

The Greens have said they would prefer FF out...so they are up for attracting..

Between teh further revelations of the inaccuracies in Berties statements becoming more obvious it pushes the PD's into a corner over whether they have a purpose if they support him...and the same with teh independents...

It also increases the likelihood that FF might have to rely on SF to get into Govt which won't be good politically either...

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: Onlooker on May 29, 2007, 04:06:33 PM
I ca'nt understand how a true blue Fine Gaeler like Fishead Sam has a photo of a deceased Fianna Fail TD and Government Minister on all his posts.   Does he not know who Sean Flanagan was?.

Ya I do but he still a Legend, thats an Iconic picture in Mayo, I'm just waiting for September and I can have JO'M holding Sam.

Bogball XV

Why is FF/GP or FF/PD/IND more palatable to people than FG/LAB/IND/PD?
Why do people think one option is necessarily more stable than the other, and why do people care about stability?  Is it another red herring thrown out there by Bert, like the "we've got experience in govt. so ye better vote for us" myth?
In many ways it would be much better if FF were to form part of the next govt, simply because they deserve to have to deal with the mess they've left us in, in fact it would be cruel on the rainbow if they got the blame.  However, financially it would be better for me personally if FG were in power, so in keeping with everyone else, i am being selfish when I say that I want the next govt to be FG led, or at worst biffo led.

resdubwhite

For a start bogball.

Labour and the pd's in the same bed.

Not a f**king chance. And even if Pat was locked and ended in bed with Mary he'd surely bolt first thing next morning.
fg/lab/pd/ind is not in anyway an option.

belleaqua

Quote from: Bogball XV on May 29, 2007, 04:37:48 PM
Why is FF/GP or FF/PD/IND more palatable to people than FG/LAB/IND/PD?
Why do people think one option is necessarily more stable than the other, and why do people care about stability? 

You left out the Greens in that Rainbow combo and its not possible without them. How can you have Labour/Green/PD in same government. its a total clash of ideology and interest-not feasible. Put in unstable Independents, how could that possibly survive more than 6 months??

And IMO the effect of such a combination would lead to a stronger resurgent Fianna Fail. There is no doubt in my mind that previous collection would collapse, Fianna Fail would gain the high moral ground and the support of the people. I hear OVERALL MAJORITY. The best interests of this country would be served by a Fianna Fail/Labour coalition however likely or unlikely that may be.

Fear ón Srath Bán

If Bertie wants FF and Labour to coalesce, the only magic words he has to utter are "Sinn Féin" (as being even a remote possibility for a partner to secure a Dáil majority), whereupon all bets are immediately off!  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

intoDwest

Fishead, You have some nerve to say that FF people will only vote FF, from reading your posts over the last few weeks I'm convinced that if a little pig walked down main street castlebar wearing a FG badge that not only would you vote for it you would be out canvasassing for it too.

Getting back to you point about Bev daring to vote against Kenny.I  dont think Bev will be to bothered about the castlebar electorate at the minute, they didn't exactly vote in numbers for her, if anything they let her down and let her family down. It was people in other parts of the county who elected her, and I as one would hope she would vote against Enda and his contract (as that was my reason for voting for her). Kenny and FG done their best to oust her.

I'm still at a loss why the people of Mayo voted for Kenny like they did, the last time he was in Government he was the minister for Tourism and Trade and delivered f**k all for the county......The last time a Flynn was in a minister position he delivered for the people of mayo and for castlebar in particular.

Bogball XV

my mistake re the greens.
But why do you all think that supposedly diametrically opposed parties cannot work together?  I don't think any of them are that far apart really, plus I think it's not a bad idea to have divergent opinions in govt, as I say, is that not what democracy is supposed to be about?  Would that not be more democratic than if we were presented with a minority FF govt, representing 41% of the people but railroading legislation through the dail with the support of a rag bag group of independents who are concerned with a few issues local to them?
You may be correct about the ff majority being a possibility if this ragtag bunch failed, and fail they would, but I think they'd have a better shot at managing the economy during the difficult times ahead than FF, who manifestly failed to manage it properly during the good times.
For me a cabinet with:
Biffo, B Lenihan, D Ahern, Hanafin, R Bruton, Rabitte, Howlin, Quinn, Kenny (possibly as taoiseach, as I wouldn't want him having a portfolio), Sargent, Eamon Ryan, Enright (I'm struggling to find blueshirts), McManus, O'Dowd, Noonan might get us through what's coming with minimal damage.

Fishead_Sam

Bogball are you looking for a Grand Coalition with everyone except Sinn Fein & Bertie, I could go for that.

AZOffaly

In all seriousness, a Coalition of Fine Gael and Fianna Fail would probably be the one with the best quality people. It'll never happen of course, but you could get a good cabinet.

I personally would like to see the likes of Richard Bruton and Enda Kenny as ministers in a government.

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: intoDwest on May 29, 2007, 04:55:14 PM
Fishead, You have some nerve to say that FF people will only vote FF, from reading your posts over the last few weeks I'm convinced that if a little pig walked down main street castlebar wearing a FG badge that not only would you vote for it you would be out canvasassing for it too.

Getting back to you point about Bev daring to vote against Kenny.I  dont think Bev will be to bothered about the castlebar electorate at the minute, they didn't exactly vote in numbers for her, if anything they let her down and let her family down. It was people in other parts of the county who elected her, and I as one would hope she would vote against Enda and his contract (as that was my reason for voting for her). Kenny and FG done their best to oust her.

I'm still at a loss why the people of Mayo voted for Kenny like they did, the last time he was in Government he was the minister for Tourism and Trade and delivered f**k all for the county......The last time a Flynn was in a minister position he delivered for the people of mayo and for castlebar in particular.

I have voted FG, Labour, Greens & Independent over the years, in local elections I have at times voted Labour or Independent number 1.

I am not as died in the wool Blueshirt as you may think, I have you could say been evangelicalised by Kennys leadership of Fine Gael.

Ha ha ha, you obviously from out the Country, not many pigs running around the streets of Castlebar. Dogs perhaps, but not many pigs  ;)

Getting back to you point about Bev daring to vote against Kenny.I  dont think Bev will be to bothered about the castlebar electorate at the minute, they didn't exactly vote in numbers for her, if anything they let her down and let her family down. It was people in other parts of the county who elected her, and I as one would hope she would vote against Enda and his contract (as that was my reason for voting for her). Kenny and FG done their best to oust her.

The Pee Flynn was always a self promoter, bringing him up hardly endears me to voting for his daughter. I don't think Castlebar can be blamed for not voting for Bev if she BETRAYS us.  >:(

belleaqua

Quote from: Bogball XV on May 29, 2007, 05:05:08 PM
But why do you all think that supposedly diametrically opposed parties cannot work together?  I don't think any of them are that far apart really, plus I think it's not a bad idea to have divergent opinions in govt, as I say, is that not what democracy is supposed to be about?  Would that not be more democratic than if we were presented with a minority FF govt, representing 41% of the people but railroading legislation through the dail with the support of a rag bag group of independents who are concerned with a few issues local to them?

Theoretically thats true but democracy has to tempered by feasibility and stability. We wont achieve utopia but we must strive for what is practical and workable. PR is the most representative system we can possibly have. Any other system would hugely favour Fianna Fail a la DeValera trying to change to the first past the post system

You may be correct about the ff majority being a possibility if this ragtag bunch failed, and fail they would, but I think they'd have a better shot at managing the economy during the difficult times ahead than FF, who manifestly failed to manage it properly during the good times.

Bogball I respect alot of your postings but it is shadowed by complete bias at times, I think the above statement is unfounded as are your opinions regard Bertie. Remember his political past he is proven and has all the credentials. The people have spoken and he is eminently popular and its insulting to an educated nation to say he is fooling the people with his sob stories etc

As regards the economy will someone please explain to me if this was so why did Fine Gael and Labour not attack them on it? Why did Enda Kenny acknowledge a good job?

For me a cabinet with:
Biffo, B Lenihan, D Ahern, Hanafin, R Bruton, Rabitte, Howlin, Quinn, Kenny (possibly as taoiseach, as I wouldn't want him having a portfolio), Sargent, Eamon Ryan, Enright (I'm struggling to find blueshirts), McManus, O'Dowd, Noonan might get us through what's coming with minimal damage.

I have to agree, Labour have some very able people but I struggle to see the same levels of ability on the Fine Gael side. The talent Fianna Fail have is not near matched. I was disappointed by some of Simon Coveneys performances this election, John Deasy has potential, bit of a maverick methinks and an enemy of Kenny. You left out Brian Hayes and Eamon Gilmore as possible candidates

Also, although he had a difficult time in Health M Martin is a very able and capable minister and IMO resonsible for the single greatest piece of legislation brought in here despite great opposition. Other FF people who may not be frontline big names include Seamus Brennan, Mary Coughlan and Tom Kitt have all behaved well without setting the world alight.

The likes of Billy Kelleher and even Mary O'Rourke could be in line as will Martin Mansergh to replace the likes of Roche and Cullen who really represented everything wrong with the last government.

J70

Since when is it a minister's job to "deliver for the county" or their local town?

And people wonder why corruption is met with such a yawn in Irish life!

resdubwhite

Quote from: J70 on May 30, 2007, 12:13:38 AM

Since when is it a minister's job to "deliver for the county" or their local town?

Here here.

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: resdubwhite on May 30, 2007, 11:32:37 AM
Quote from: J70 on May 30, 2007, 12:13:38 AM

Here here.

The reason they voted for Kenny was not for Preferential treatment, but they like many people along the Atlantic Coast recognised a Dublin Taoiseach ignores us entirely, while a man from the West would still deliver for Dublin but would think of Connacht, Leinster & Munster before drafting plans, he would not presume Dublin first the rest as an afterthought as 10 years and the most of the last 25 years for Fianna Fail Government. I would hope we would not get treated any better, and knowing Enda to be the type of man he is, Dublin of course would still be the main act in the show, but other shows would get shown to the Audience too(Infrastructure, clean water, foreign investment).

Please dont use the word corruption when you talk of Kenny coz that is rich with the Government we had in the last 10 years & Haughey before that. I don't hear you complaining about the 14,000+ seats Drumcondra gave Bertie Ahern. I think its a case of Pot-Kettle-Black.

You also contradicted yourself, as Enda showed no preferential treatment last time how can you then claim he would be corrupt?????????

I do really believe that Enda would be a Taoiseach for All-Ireland while Bertie is a Taoiseach for Dublin & the Commuter Belt. If you look at the breakdown in the Independent 2 or 3 days ago of the way people voted, Leinster voted for the Status Quo in general & in general Connacht, Munster & Ulster voted for change.