WC 2030 Bid

Started by Baile Brigín 2, March 02, 2021, 10:56:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Did anyone even ask the GAA about Croke Park? I would tell them where to go personally.

seafoid

Also in the running are Spain/Portugal and Argentina/Uruguay. Sspain had the World Cup in 1982 and Argentina in 1978.
Maybe it's England's turn.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

sid waddell

Quote from: Itchy on March 03, 2021, 08:58:05 AM
Did anyone even ask the GAA about Croke Park? I would tell them where to go personally.
I presume you said the same about the Special Olympics

And American football

And concerts

Redhand Santa

Quote from: thewobbler on March 03, 2021, 07:56:36 AM
Working a) from the criteria in the OP and b) that 16 locations are needed, currently it would stand at:

London (Wembley)
London (Spurs)
Birmingham (villa)
Manchester (United)
Liverpool (Anfield)
Newcastle (United)

Cardiff (Principality)
Glasgow (Hampden)
Edinburgh (Murrayfield)
Dublin (Croke)

Sunderland makes all of the criteria - but is it really a different city to Newcastle?

With small extensions to capacity or minor exclusions you'd also get:
Leeds
Sheffield

That's 13.

From what I can gather the only major stadium project afoot in the UK is Everton. So 3 locations would have to be found and created.

—-

Casement might yet be built to host 40k soccer matches. Pairc ui Coaimh is bound to come under the spotlight too - converting it to an all seater would surely have less golden elephants about it than most potential projects.

Would it take much to get the likes of Nottingham Forest ground up to standard? I'm sure there's also a good few others that they could potentially renovate and meet the criteria. Lot of countries build multiple stadiums to host it.

thewobbler

In the midlands I think Leicester would be more likely. Younger stadium and an established PL club. I think they were already looking to expand that stadium anyway.

armaghniac

Are Twickenham and the Aviva not suitable?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

tonto1888

Working a) from the criteria in the OP and b) that 16 locations are needed, currently it would stand at:

London (Wembley)
London (Spurs)
Birmingham (villa)
Manchester (United)
Liverpool (Anfield)
Newcastle (United)

Cardiff (Principality)
Glasgow (Hampden)
Edinburgh (Murrayfield)
Dublin (Croke)

Sunderland makes all of the criteria - but is it really a different city to Newcastle?

Leeds
Sheffield

That's 13.

From what I can gather the only major stadium project afoot in the UK is Everton. So 3 locations would have to be found and created.

—-

Casement might yet be built to host 40k soccer matches. Pairc ui Coaimh is bound to come under the spotlight too - converting it to an all seater would surely have less golden elephants about it than most potential projects.

Hampden ahead of Celtic park would be a mistake

Angelo

Quote from: Redhand Santa on March 03, 2021, 09:17:30 AM

London (Wembley)
London (Spurs)
Birmingham (villa)
Manchester (United)
Liverpool (Anfield)
Newcastle (United)

Cardiff (Principality)
Glasgow (Hampden)
Edinburgh (Murrayfield)
Dublin (Croke)

Leeds
Sheffield

That's 13.

—-

Would it take much to get the likes of Nottingham Forest ground up to standard? I'm sure there's also a good few others that they could potentially renovate and meet the criteria. Lot of countries build multiple stadiums to host it.

Would imagine the likes of Glasgow and Manchester will have two stadiums while London likely to have three.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

clonadmad

Quote from: Angelo on March 03, 2021, 01:20:20 PM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on March 03, 2021, 09:17:30 AM

London (Wembley)
London (Spurs)
Birmingham (villa)
Manchester (United)
Liverpool (Anfield)
Newcastle (United)

Cardiff (Principality)
Glasgow (Hampden)
Edinburgh (Murrayfield)
Dublin (Croke)

Leeds
Sheffield

That's 13.

—-

Would imagine the likes of Glasgow and Manchester will have two stadiums while London likely to have three.

2 stadia per city limit

sid waddell

There are a litany of plastic bowls in England which can be fairly easily upgraded to 40k or more

Leicester, Derby, Middlesbrough, Southampton, Stoke, Reading, Hull etc

Ashton Gate in Bristol is not a plastic bowl but would be another possible candidate for upgrade

Molineux in Wolverhampton too

England could easily do this on their own if they wanted to

The political aspect is interesting - they clearly feel they've a better chance in terms of persuading people if they have Scotland, Wales, NI and particularly Ireland on board, though given our farcical record of bidding for major championships I don't know why they'd think that

5 automatic qualifications would surely be several bridges too far for FIFA and UEFA, especially with qualification places in Europe being at a premium

Whatever about Ireland, I don't see how NI would add anything at all to the bid

Two or three countries max seems logical, anything beyond that seems unwieldy, can't see Ireland being involved when it comes down to it

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: sid waddell on March 03, 2021, 02:33:57 PM
There are a litany of plastic bowls in England which can be fairly easily upgraded to 40k or more

Ashton Gate in Bristol is not a plastic bowl but would be another possible candidate for upgrade

The political aspect is interesting - they clearly feel they've a better chance in terms of persuading people if they have Scotland, Wales, NI and particularly Ireland on board, though given our farcical record of bidding for major championships I don't know why they'd think that

5 automatic qualifications would surely be several bridges too far for FIFA and UEFA, especially with qualification places in Europe being at a premium

Two or three countries max seems logical, anything beyond that seems unwieldy, can't see Ireland being involved when it comes down to it

The north have nothing to add, but you can't use the project to push the benefit of the union without including all the bits of the union. This whole thing isn't much more than Tory shitetalk right now, definitely remains to be seen just how serious the Brits really are about it.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Itchy on March 03, 2021, 08:58:05 AM

Dublin is the Aviva.yiu can only have one city with two venues and that will be London

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: sid waddell on March 03, 2021, 02:33:57 PM

Most of those cities fall well short of the infrastructure criteria