Poll

What has made you login less frequently or even considering packing this board in?

The upcoming 10 in a row and the debate this has produced (Dubs)
Very little local gaa discussion about my county
The same shite being repeated over and over again eg Covid and vaccine threads
Angelo
Sid Waddell

Author Topic: What is the point of this board anymore?  (Read 11943 times)

sid waddell

• View Profile
Re: What is the point of this board anymore?
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2021, 11:04:22 PM »

Another reasons for the decline is administrative neglect. There has been no effort to modernise this place from something that looks like a relic of the dial-up days, and there has been a noticeable drop off in active moderation over the last few years.

The forum template that Reservoir Dubs uses is much more user friendly

https://www.reservoirdubs.com/c/gaelic-football/5

Multi-quoting is a big problem on this forum, the Res Dubs template limits quotes to one deep, plus media like YouTube clips and tweets are a lot easier to post

thewobbler

• View Profile
    • Balllyholland Harps GAC
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2021, 11:14:47 PM »
The problem inherent is that the ability to submit an extended narrative makes it an attractive mechanism for people who like to write too much, too often (and I very much include me in that type of person).

Those who prefer shorter, snappier interchanges are lost among the mess. Twitter would obviously suit their needs better. And as they depart, the threads only get longer and messier.

Anonymity is of course an issue too. Weve a certain poster on the Down section who is exceptionally careful not to leave a paper trail about himself. Nor would you leave one either, if your sole purpose for posting was to attack individuals and clubs. Its vindictive. Its disgusting.

JoG2

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2021, 11:39:44 PM »
Im defs going to land at somebodies door and offer them to he tarmac by end of 21, I can feel it in my bones.

That made me laugh ...within guidelines I hope Fear, social distancing and all that  ;D

Eamonnca1

• Catching the world in my headlights of justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2021, 06:37:21 AM »
This thread reminds me of a fella on the radio called James Whale. People would sometimes ring him up to complain about his show. One time he said "What kind of radio have you got? Does it have a knob on it? Can you change the station?"

Eamonnca1

• Catching the world in my headlights of justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2021, 06:39:11 AM »

Another reasons for the decline is administrative neglect. There has been no effort to modernise this place from something that looks like a relic of the dial-up days, and there has been a noticeable drop off in active moderation over the last few years.

The forum template that Reservoir Dubs uses is much more user friendly

https://www.reservoirdubs.com/c/gaelic-football/5

Multi-quoting is a big problem on this forum, the Res Dubs template limits quotes to one deep, plus media like YouTube clips and tweets are a lot easier to post
Can come in handy sometimes. If you're late landing on a thread and two people are having a ding-dong you can read the whole exchange in one post. It is duplicative though, a tree structure of replies would be better.

GAABoardMod5

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2021, 07:45:09 AM »
New mod here.  Honestly have no idea how many other active mods are on this board.

Posts with personal insults will be deleted by me, as will any post that quotes the insult.  Can't be much fairer than that.  I won't comment on any post, but if you find a post of yours gone, that's why.

Tedious, boring entries will be left alone for now...I won't merge threads, but I would appeal that the appropriate thread be used and not create another thread because you can.

I hope to log on every day, but usually in the evening so I mightn't be on top of things immediately.

Absence of mods was a failure recently.  I spent a bit of time deleting posts on the Death Notices thread and  I expect future responses in this thread to be a one or two sentence comment on the person.  Anything deeper than that will be deleted, so if you want to discuss that person's political or social impact I'd ask you to create a new thread. 

Hardly worth going back on old threads at this stage, so everyone is on a clean slate with me unless you've received a note from me in the last week.  Posters will be asked only once to quit the personal abuse, second yellow card means ban.

I don't know if mods post under another user name or not, I suppose I'll find out soon enough.

I appreciate everyone's efforts (or the vast majority of posters anyway) and I promise to do what I can to help.  All posts reported will be reviewed, but as of now, only posts with personal insults or posts gone off topic on the Death Notices thread will be deleted.

If you think that is censorship...start a thread on it and see what the board thinks.  Or comment on it in this thread.

I expect some support on keeping things clean and decent. 

Over to you all.   

Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2021, 08:16:27 AM »
We have a newbie.

Shit just got real

laoislad

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2021, 08:22:27 AM »

I loves me county

the_daddy

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2021, 08:39:51 AM »
New mod here.  Honestly have no idea how many other active mods are on this board.

Posts with personal insults will be deleted by me, as will any post that quotes the insult.  Can't be much fairer than that.  I won't comment on any post, but if you find a post of yours gone, that's why.

Tedious, boring entries will be left alone for now...I won't merge threads, but I would appeal that the appropriate thread be used and not create another thread because you can.

I hope to log on every day, but usually in the evening so I mightn't be on top of things immediately.

Absence of mods was a failure recently.  I spent a bit of time deleting posts on the Death Notices thread and  I expect future responses in this thread to be a one or two sentence comment on the person.  Anything deeper than that will be deleted, so if you want to discuss that person's political or social impact I'd ask you to create a new thread. 

Hardly worth going back on old threads at this stage, so everyone is on a clean slate with me unless you've received a note from me in the last week.  Posters will be asked only once to quit the personal abuse, second yellow card means ban.

I don't know if mods post under another user name or not, I suppose I'll find out soon enough.

I appreciate everyone's efforts (or the vast majority of posters anyway) and I promise to do what I can to help.  All posts reported will be reviewed, but as of now, only posts with personal insults or posts gone off topic on the Death Notices thread will be deleted.

If you think that is censorship...start a thread on it and see what the board thinks.  Or comment on it in this thread.

I expect some support on keeping things clean and decent. 

Over to you all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKiLfH3DVGc

quit yo jibbajabba

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2021, 09:13:53 AM »
Mods out

quit yo jibbajabba

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2021, 09:15:15 AM »
Hang on. Im still being "watched" wheres this clean slate thingymajiggy?

Clean slate me arse im away to the twitter and wont be back for 30mins

reillycavan

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2021, 09:31:22 AM »
The quality of discussion probably dipped here 5+ years ago, if not longer, never mind now.

What turns you off?

I don't like to pick on certain posters but the 2 mentioned mustn't have much of a life to spend an insatiable amount of their time on here. I personally have nothing against Sid but I do recognise that his opinions can be divisive to others.

We have 20 threads on Dublin threads and every other thread non related turns into a Dublin discussion. Can we have one thread for this and let posters like Bunker, Mup, Angelo,Rossfan and Seafoid  use this instead of polluting all the threads??
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 10:23:25 AM by reillycavan »

johnnycool

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2021, 09:42:18 AM »
The quality of discussion probably dipped here 5+ years ago, if not longer, never mind now.

What turns you off?

I don't like to pick on certain posters but the 2 mentioned mustn't have much of a life to spend an insatiable amount of their time on here. I personally have nothing against Sid but I do recognise that his opinions can be divisive to others.

what do you contribute?

250 or so comments in 14 odd years, MR2 would do that in a day FFS.

GetOverTheBar

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2021, 09:51:18 AM »
Reading some of the comments on this board gets me through days work.

You just have to realise when someone is on the wind up and not get caught into tit for tats wars over 3 topics. That's when topics tend to go messy.

Some of the fellas that write in here know their stuff, RadioGAAGAA obv on the Covid, Milltown Row2 great contributor, Armaghniac very good too. (Sorry if I left you out, just three came to mind).

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2021, 10:25:55 AM »
Im defs going to land at somebodies door and offer them to he tarmac by end of 21, I can feel it in my bones.

That made me laugh ...within guidelines I hope Fear, social distancing and all that  ;D

Of course, that's the only reason Ill have the balls to do it, I will end up like "scrappy do" getting held back shouting from front garden