Poll

What has made you login less frequently or even considering packing this board in?

The upcoming 10 in a row and the debate this has produced (Dubs)
Very little local gaa discussion about my county
The same shite being repeated over and over again eg Covid and vaccine threads
Angelo
Sid Waddell

Author Topic: What is the point of this board anymore?  (Read 11944 times)

imtommygunn

• View Profile
Re: What is the point of this board anymore?
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2021, 09:15:13 PM »
That is very true.

One thing I would say though is there used to be some interesting/ insightful posts on the corona virus thread and that has pretty much been killed off single handedly. The rest of the threads I wouldnít be so worried about.

sid waddell

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2021, 09:27:14 PM »
Lads, like everything in life, don't take it too serious.
Given my personal situation you'll forgive me if I take some things quite seriously

I couldn't care less what nonsense that poster posts on a thread about Celtic, or on GAA matters, as both are ultimately irrelevant

But we have an active disinformation peddler of the worst kind on this forum and the sort of disinformation he pushes has become widespread online and is costing lives

It is the public health equivalent of the big lies fed to the Trump supporting nutcases at the Capitol last week

It is draining and thoroughly depressing for anybody to try and combat this disinformation which comes 24/7 from somebody who has seemingly no other purpose in life except to push this disinformation, and is totally impervious to reason - which is why I have largely given up trying to do so

Seaney was the same before he was seemingly banned recently

Some people decide to reject reality, and they are always the most performatively confident and aggressive

Little wonder the Covid threads have turned into a total car crash

Lar Naparka

• I just know this is gonna be our year!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2021, 09:38:08 PM »
Given my personal situation you'll forgive me if I take some things quite seriously

I couldn't care less what nonsense that poster posts on a thread about Celtic, or on GAA matters, as both are ultimately irrelevant

But we have an active disinformation peddler of the worst kind on this forum and the sort of disinformation he pushes has become widespread online and is costing lives

It is the public health equivalent of the big lies fed to the Trump supporting nutcases at the Capitol last week

It is draining and thoroughly depressing for anybody to try and combat this disinformation which comes 24/7 from somebody who has seemingly no other purpose in life except to push this disinformation, and is totally impervious to reason - which is why I have largely given up trying to do so

Some people decide to reject reality, and they are always the most performatively confident and aggressive

??
That's a serious allegation sid. Care to be a bit more specific?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Franko

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2021, 09:38:20 PM »

Yer man is on a wind up.

There's no way he's that dense

And if it makes you feel any better - there's hasn't been a single person (of any credibility) convinced by any of the shite.

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2021, 09:44:57 PM »
Yeah it is one of two things - wind up or basket case. More likely the former but the latter not entirely out of the question either.

There used to be genuinely interesting stuff on that thread.

sid waddell

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2021, 09:51:17 PM »

Yer man is on a wind up.

There's no way he's that dense

And if it makes you feel any better - there's hasn't been a single person (of any credibility) convinced by any of the shite.
Believe me, he isn't a wind up

I have long experience of his postings (since about 2011) on a different forum on which I used to post - he still posts copious amounts of similar rŠimťis there, he's on there as much, probably even more than he is here

He used to be mildly entertaining in a stupid sort of way but has gone off the reservation completely in the last year or two, especially as regards Covid 

sid waddell

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2021, 09:56:30 PM »

??
He's recommending that people do not get the vaccine and basically dismissing Covid as a threat as it hits a new peak

He's been dismissing it for months

He'll reply here now in an ultra-performatively confident and aggressive manner

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2021, 10:05:31 PM »
IF heís real there re a lot of problems going on there. If not there are too tbh but less so.

trueblue1234

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2021, 10:18:19 PM »
Angeloís MO is to pick a subject and then pick the most controversial side, and then argue it. Be that Covid, CoC, the vaccine, RoI. Whichever topic people are emotive about. I donít believe even he believes the sh!te he spouts  But it doesnít matter, itís the actual arguing that gives him a kick. Smacks of small man syndrome if you ask me. I just donít believe anyone could consistently pick the most controversial stance on so many topics unintentionally.
Even on topics where he would have consensus, heíll target people to get a rise out of them. Iíll decide on the Celtic thread for example. He goads away until he gets his reaction. Ifs a pity as heís making threads unreadable.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

restorepride

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2021, 10:19:45 PM »

Tell us more.

Lar Naparka

• I just know this is gonna be our year!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2021, 10:51:08 PM »

??
He's recommending that people do not get the vaccine and basically dismissing Covid as a threat as it hits a new peak

He's been dismissing it for months

He'll reply here now in an ultra-performatively confident and aggressive manner
I take it you are referring to Angelo.
If you are, you are wasting your time trying to talk sense to him or indeed to lose any sleep over anything he says.  He shouldn't be taken seriously.
I read a couple of his posts and left it at that. A complete nutter or a windup merchant, you take your pick. As for me, I'm hedging my bets. I'll settle for 50/50 as the safest option.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Ed Ricketts

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2021, 10:52:04 PM »

The board has been on the slide for more than a decade. 2009 was the pinnacle. Mucksavages, etc.

Year on year since there have been fewer new threads, fewer posts, and fewer sign-ups. The slide is probably terminal, and the board might have gone already if it wasn't for the fact that so many boys have been here 15+ years and almost have a sense of duty to keep the flag flying.

The decline is mostly due to the rise of social media. There now exists bigger, shinier platforms on which you can offer your two cents to the world. Twitter, in particular, killed the Latest Score thread, which was a healthy contributor to post counts and a big reason to log on in the early days. Other discussion boards like boards.ie and politics.ie have suffered in similar ways.

Another reasons for the decline is administrative neglect. There has been no effort to modernise this place from something that looks like a relic of the dial-up days, and there has been a noticeable drop off in active moderation over the last few years.

This is all a pity. You'd like to think that there is still a place for discussion boards in the internet ecosystem of today - places that allow for more detailed, nuanced chat than you get on Twitter/ FB/ etc. And despite the boredom of the Dub dominance era, there's still plenty worthy of proper discussion in the GAA world.

But you really need to work on keeping the house tidy for it to remain healthy and attractive, and it seems that the boy with the keys to the forum has more important real life stuff to be getting on with these days. Which is fair enough. But it's still a shame that a few more active moderators couldn't have been recruited over the years.

More active moderation retains the insightful and entertaining posters that have drifted away in recent years, no doubt tired of what the place has become.

More active moderation cuts off the reemergence of creepy f**kers like Seaney, stalking the board in pursuit of weird feuds no one else cares about.

More active moderation cleans up duplicate threads - like the three separate COVID threads in the general section all chatting about the same thing, or the 5+ 'Dublin's money is ruining the GAA' threads in the GAA section.

More active moderation gives the couple of lads name checked by the OP a time-out every once in a while, both for their own mental health, and also to stop the repeated filibustering of threads into oblivion.

But it's probably already too late. Without some very timely intervention this'll just be a place where an increasingly small handful of boys shout the same stuff at each other day after day after day until there's no one else left. Or until the board admin pulls the plug. Might not be far away from that the way it's going.

marty34

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2021, 10:58:52 PM »

As I said, like life, don't take it too serious.

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2021, 11:00:24 PM »
Jaysus some of ye are easily annoyed!

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2021, 11:01:37 PM »
Im defs going to land at somebodies door and offer them to he tarmac by end of 21, I can feel it in my bones.