2021 Tailteann Cup

Started by Angelo, December 22, 2020, 11:13:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twohands!!!

Quote from: BennyCake on December 22, 2020, 05:14:29 PM
@twohands:
Fermanagh and Derry got to the semis in 2004.
Wexford semis in 08.
Sligo QF 2002.
Limerick QF 2011.
Antrim round 4 qualifiers (might have progressed had they not met Kerry)

Quick off the mark Benny. However have to pull you on a few technicalities.
Sligo wouldn't have been eligible for the Tailteann Cup in 2002 - Got to the Connacht final.
Neither would Wexford in 2008 - Got to the Leinster final.
So just Fermanagh and Derry in 2004 and Limerick in 2011

Overall it's been fairly slim pickings.

I wonder if any sort of inference about standards/gaps between the various levels can be drawn from the lack of success in the last few years?

twohands!!!

Quote from: themac_23 on December 22, 2020, 05:20:00 PM
I think it'll be good if it's done right, similar to the Joe McDonagh, I think the winners should get a good holiday as an Incentive for teams to buy in. Could have the winners play the All stars instead of the way it is at the min against the previous years all stars. Or scrap the all star game and have the all Ireland winners play the Tailteann winners in a charity shield like game in a different country every year, might be a decent carrot for the teams

I'd definitely be in favour of the team holiday idea.

However I'd say a game against the All-Ireland winners would be more like a stick than a carrot for whoever won it.

Rossfan

How about a Tailteann All Stars?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Captain Obvious

Can't help feeling this competition will be a dead duck before it even starts. Plenty of teams will likely use it to give extended panelists and U20s a run out.

Look-Up!

Quote from: Rossfan on December 22, 2020, 06:26:35 PM

Was about to suggest that. Tailteann All Stars v AI All Stars outside the country would be a nice trip. Only problem maybe is selection is weighed very heavily towards competition finalists.

If you had selection process like Compromise Rules leaving it in the hands of prospective managers you might get better spread of players.

TomFun

Quote from: twohands!!! on December 22, 2020, 05:34:49 PM
@twohands:
Wexford semis in 08.
Sligo QF 2002.
Limerick QF 2011.

Sligo wouldn't have been eligible for the Tailteann Cup in 2002 - Got to the Connacht final.

I wonder if any sort of inference about standards/gaps between the various levels can be drawn from the lack of success in the last few years?

Fermanagh SF 2004, QFs 2003 and 2015

Milltown Row2

Quote from: twohands!!! on December 22, 2020, 05:34:49 PM
@twohands:
Wexford semis in 08.
Sligo QF 2002.
Limerick QF 2011.

Did Antrim not get to Ulster final year they played Kerry?

Anyways I'm al for teams playing in a championship that is actually at a grade that they can achieve realist targets.

Based on all current attempts at Sam Maguire Dublin should be on their own
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: Look-Up! on December 22, 2020, 02:17:35 PM
Bit of an OG having it with hurling semi-finals. Makes it sound gimmicky.

Double header with AI final would be great but don't think that's practical due to normal ticket demand (although if Dublin keep walking it demand could drop).

If they go with a standalone fixture I think Croker is too big so sticking with HQ, a double or treble header would be the way to go.

Utter balls yet again from Croke PArk. They did the exact same thing with the Christy Ring and the Nicky Rackard cups which were once played before the AI hurling semi-finals and then when a "hurling" man came to power, Nicky Brennan he relegated those two competitions to some date out of the way so that the minors were back in before the AI semi-finals.

And then they wonder why there's little or no buy in from counties in relation to these tiered championships...

Dickheads.

Rossfan

The hurling minorities in the football Counties are in the main delighted with their tiered Championships.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

BennyCake

Quote from: Rossfan on December 23, 2020, 12:21:08 PM
The hurling minorities in the football Counties are in the main delighted with their tiered Championships.

I remember hearing Derry's Chrissy McKaigue speak about the hurling tiers. He said that it wasn't all so great, and that he wasn't happy that they have ultimately led to the destruction of the Ulster hurling championship. Yes, you might sneer at that, but he has a point.

sid waddell

€50 in book tokens to each winning panel member as a prize

€20 in book tokens to each member of the losing finalists' panel

Or maybe the GAA could really push the boat out, give each of the winners a nice new Mitsubishi Black Diamond television, with a small Grundig telly for each of the losers

This would drive huge public interest in this Token Cup

Capture the public's imagination, there's huge potential here to promote to promote this pointless losers' competition, make it like a GAA version of Murphy's Micro Quiz-M

Central to this is the idea of the four Ps

Promotion
Placement
Public
Pointless

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BennyCake on December 23, 2020, 01:24:34 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on December 23, 2020, 12:21:08 PM

I remember hearing Derry's Chrissy McKaigue speak about the hurling tiers. He said that it wasn't all so great, and that he wasn't happy that they have ultimately led to the destruction of the Ulster hurling championship. Yes, you might sneer at that, but he has a point.

The destruction of the Ulster hurling championship was long before those tiered competitions, it was like the Leinster football championship and it needed scrapped. Once in a blue moon a team came along and challenged Antrim, Antrim has more clubs to pull from and while S'neil are some outfit, getting that at County level for Derry is the biggest problem they have..

Down have proved that they can catch Antrim when all the stars align and pull off a win.

Id be for the Ulster Championship to return, just not with Antrim in it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

sid waddell

Quote from: Rossfan on December 22, 2020, 06:26:35 PM
Put a big picture of them in the centre spread of the Our Games annual, like the old Carroll's All-Star posters

Would be a lovely touch

"Leitrim defender Jolly Honeyman-McGarty held Michael Quinlivan to just a point from play in their 18 point first round defeat by Tipperary in front of 52 people and one dog at Ardfinnan

A fine stylist and exponent of the art of man-marking a completely unmotivated top tier forward in a glorified challenge game"

"This Tailteann All-Star is just reward for Leitrim football, their day in the sun"

seafoid

Why don't the 31 counties join the Tailteann cup? It would be competitive.
Dublin could find something with Sky, I'm sure.

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: seafoid on December 23, 2020, 04:33:25 PM
Why don't the 31 counties join the Tailteann cup? It would be competitive.
Dublin could find something with Sky, I'm sure.

So you're capitulating on behalf of 31 counties - is that not a bit presumptive?

I'm sure that counties like Kerry, Cork, Mayo, Galway, Meath, Tyrone, Donegal, Monaghan, Armagh, Down and others would not be prepared to march behind your white flag. 
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8