5-10 pts
38 (33.9%)
10+ pts
36 (32.1%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Voting closed: December 19, 2020, 08:56:37 AM

WhoDat

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on December 10, 2020, 10:12:58 PM
There's a lot of cute hoorism coming from Mayo supporters this year. This contrasts with the irrational exuberance of previous years. But like all finals this is a 50/50 game, just like the previous Dublin/Mayo finals - any one of which could have gone Mayo's way. Of course I'm hoping for a Dublin win but I won't tempt fate.....

i dont sense much cute hoorism coming from them. they are completely up against it and i think to be fair to them, most of their fans seem to realise that. everyone can see the lay of the land for the final. mayo need everything to go right for them and several things to go wrong for the dubs to really be in with a shout.

the build up is quieter this year anyway what with everything that's going on with covid, lack of crowds at games, no ticket scramble. the whole championship has been quiet.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: reillycavan on December 10, 2020, 11:22:38 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on December 10, 2020, 08:38:55 AM
I predict a Dublin win by 8 points.

Yerra yerra as the boys in An Ciarrai would say 😉

That would be an improvement on our Chshp meeting from last year!
Hasta la victoria siempre

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on December 11, 2020, 12:10:17 AM

Aquí se queda la clara,
la entrañable transparencia,
de tu querida presencia,
Comandante Che Guevara.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on December 11, 2020, 12:44:12 AM
Quote from: Never beat the deeler on December 11, 2020, 12:10:17 AM

Aquí se queda la clara,
la entrañable transparencia,
de tu querida presencia,
Comandante Che Guevara.

Dublin beat Mayo by 9 points last year after blowing us off the park in a 10 minute blitz after half time, yet people are claiming it is cute hoorism suggesting a similar outcome this year
In Mayo's last game they gave up 2 goal scoring opportunities to Tipperary in the first 5 minutes - if they were to do this against Dublin it would be game over

Mayo will keep playing, will keep coming back - siempre - but there has been nothing in the last year to suggest Dublin are any weaker than last year, whereas Mayo have been relegated from D1.
Mayo conceded 3-13 v Tipp, whereas the most Dublin have conceded is 12 points.

Dublin are unbeaten in 41 championship games straight and Mayo are 9/2 outsiders

Farrandeelin

There's a lot of cute hoorism coming from Mayo supporters this year. This contrasts with the irrational exuberance of previous years. But like all finals this is a 50/50 game, just like the previous Dublin/Mayo finals - any one of which could have gone Mayo's way. Of course I'm hoping for a Dublin win but I won't tempt fate.....

You're doing a good job on the oul cute-hoorism yourself. Hoping to beat Mayo. In a final. When our defence is coughing up scores, and when not coughing up  giving chances, with all due respect to Galway and Tipp, Dublin would have scored most of those misses. Our forwards clicked the last day undoubtedly. As someone here said they don't usually click in a final. It's hard to find any weak links in the Dublin setup.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: Farrandeelin on December 11, 2020, 09:09:46 AM

You're doing a good job on the oul cute-hoorism yourself. Hoping to beat Mayo. In a final. When our defence is coughing up scores, and when not coughing up  giving chances, with all due respect to Galway and Tipp, Dublin would have scored most of those misses. Our forwards clicked the last day undoubtedly. As someone here said they don't usually click in a final. It's hard to find any weak links in the Dublin setup.

As Billy Joel would say "You May be Right". I hope you are ...  ;)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpt57dZ2CpE
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Angelo

If anyone has the belief to beat Dublin its Mayo but this Mayo side are in transition.

You look at their starting XV, guys like McLaughlin, Mullin, Conroy and O'Donoghue have come in and done well but they are all in their first real year of Championship football. I'd have my doubts on Loftus and Ruane in the middle as well.

I think if Mayo keep the game to 6 points and force Dublin to find a couple of gears they haven't had to yet for the majority of the game they will have given as good an account of themselves as anything could have.

The transition in Mayo has been impressive as they haven't had all that much underage success in recent years, Galway actually seem to have been the dominant force in Connacht in the past 5/6 years at underage. Horan seems to have an uncanny ability to bring on and develop players on an individual basis. I'd never heard of the likes of McLaughlin until this year but he's been a revelation. Carr was similar enough last year but seems to have fallen off the scene.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Blowitupref

Quote from: Angelo on December 11, 2020, 10:56:18 AM
If anyone has the belief to beat Dublin its Mayo but this Mayo side are in transition.

You look at their starting XV, guys like McLaughlin, Mullin, Conroy and O'Donoghue have come in and done well but they are all in their first real year of Championship football. I'd have my doubts on Loftus and Ruane in the middle as well.

I think if Mayo keep the game to 6 points and force Dublin to find a couple of gears they haven't had to yet for the majority of the game they will have given as good an account of themselves as anything could have.

The transition in Mayo has been impressive as they haven't had all that much underage success in recent years, Galway actually seem to have been the dominant force in Connacht in the past 5/6 years at underage. Horan seems to have an uncanny ability to bring on and develop players on an individual basis. I'd never heard of the likes of McLaughlin until this year but he's been a revelation. Carr was similar enough last year but seems to have fallen off the scene.

What McLaughlin was up too. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportsjoe.ie/amp/gaa/playing-no-football-four-years-just-shows-talented-220405 Horan in his spell managing Westport knew all about him.

Mullin, Conroy and O'Donoghue  was all part of the Mayo U20 team that reached the U20 All-Ireland final in 2018. Mullin didn't play in the final due to injury.  The other 11 starters have the experience of playing in either All-Ireland semi or senior finals in the past.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Angelo

Quote from: Blowitupref on December 11, 2020, 01:18:19 PM

What McLaughlin was up too. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportsjoe.ie/amp/gaa/playing-no-football-four-years-just-shows-talented-220405 Horan in his spell managing Westport knew all about him.

Mullin, Conroy and O'Donoghue  was all part of the Mayo U20 team that reached the U20 All-Ireland final in 2018. Mullin didn't play in the final due to injury.  The other 11 starters have the experience of playing in either All-Ireland semi or senior finals in the past.

It's all the more remarkable McLaughlin has made the impact he has when he was out of football for so long at that age.

I'm a little unconvinced by O'Donoghue yet, looks nowhere near the physical levels needed and I think he could struggle badly against Dublin if he plays. I'd be surprised if Horan starts him. Think he probably needs another few years to get to that level but you had the likes of McDonagh last year who made a big impression for Mayo. Horan certainly seems to have something about him that can bring players on awful lot in a short space of time.

The turnover in the Mayo squad in the past two years is mammoth.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Angelo on December 11, 2020, 01:43:36 PM

It's all the more remarkable McLaughlin has made the impact he has when he was out of football for so long at that age.

I'm a little unconvinced by O'Donoghue yet, looks nowhere near the physical levels needed and I think he could struggle badly against Dublin if he plays. I'd be surprised if Horan starts him. Think he probably needs another few years to get to that level but you had the likes of McDonagh last year who made a big impression for Mayo. Horan certainly seems to have something about him that can bring players on awful lot in a short space of time.

Horan has picked unchanged team in the last 3 games i think the same team will start again unless any late injuries. New faces was needed after getting well beaten by Kerry, Dublin last year and knocked out of Connacht by Roscommon. After this championship one would expect a lot of retirements K Higgins, C Boyle, T Parsons, D Vaughan, S O Shea etc who saw Little or no game time this year will likely call time on their county careers.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

macdanger2

If we're going to have a chance of beating Dublin, we'll need to disrupt Cluxton somehow. I think we need to put a few early diagonal balls in around the square (dropping just on the edge of the small rectangle) - chances are Cluxton will be well able for it but if he has a collison or two with Aido, it might give him something to think about and he won't be his usual imperious self; we might even get a score or two out of it. The hard part of that plan though is getting the right quality of ball in and I'm not sure who we really have for that, possibly McLoughlin? I think it's something we should try 4-5 times anyway; if Cluxton plays the way he normally does, it won't end well for us

Angelo

Quote from: Blowitupref on December 11, 2020, 02:23:43 PM
Quote from: Angelo on December 11, 2020, 01:43:36 PM

Horan has picked unchanged team in the last 3 games i think the same team will start again unless any late injuries. New faces was needed after getting well beaten by Kerry, Dublin last year and knocked out of Connacht by Roscommon. After this championship one would expect a lot of retirements K Higgins, C Boyle, T Parsons, D Vaughan, S O Shea etc who saw Little or no game time this year will likely call time on their county careers.

I would expect one change but we'll see. I think O'Donoghue will drop out for someone like Parsons or Flynn.

MayoBuck

I wasn't convinced before the Tipperary game but I think O'Donoghue will keep his place now. His low centre of gravity and acceleration means he draws a lot of fouls. John Small has a history of picking up cards in finals so here's hoping!

Conor Loftus is the one player who might lose out if Horan wants a bigger midfield.

thewobbler

Quote from: macdanger2 on December 11, 2020, 03:24:07 PM
If we're going to have a chance of beating Dublin, we'll need to disrupt Cluxton somehow. I think we need to put a few early diagonal balls in around the square (dropping just on the edge of the small rectangle) - chances are Cluxton will be well able for it but if he has a collison or two with Aido, it might give him something to think about and he won't be his usual imperious self; we might even get a score or two out of it. The hard part of that plan though is getting the right quality of ball in and I'm not sure who we really have for that, possibly McLoughlin? I think it's something we should try 4-5 times anyway; if Cluxton plays the way he normally does, it won't end well for us

How to disrupt Cluxton isn't about the high ball, it's to take control of his kickouts away from him. Which is in reality 10,000 times more difficult in practice than in theory. For the theory behind it is quite simple:

1. Press up and don't allow short restarts.
2. As soon as there's a wide or a score, immediately man his left half-back and left half-forward channel, even if there's no Dubs in it yet, as that's his preferred option for quickly launching counterattacks from kickouts.
3. Once closed off, immediately swarm his far right channel at exactly midfield, as that's his fallback when 1 and 2 are closed out, and Dublin are exceptionally quick to recognise this situation and swamp this channel, to tilt the breaking ball percentage on their favour.

As I say I don't know if you can really prevent all 3 all of the time. But if Mayo force no.3 and then more than break even with these restarts, then Clucko might have to some thinking on his feet. Which, let's be honest, he rarely has to do.

Greatest keeper of all time by a distance by the way. But the patterns are there.

macdanger2

Quote from: thewobbler on December 11, 2020, 04:10:10 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on December 11, 2020, 03:24:07 PM

How to disrupt Cluxton isn't about the high ball, it's to take control of his kickouts away from him. Which is in reality 10,000 times more difficult in practice than in theory. For the theory behind it is quite simple:

1. Press up and don't allow short restarts.
2. As soon as there's a wide or a score, immediately man his left half-back and left half-forward channel, even if there's no Dubs in it yet, as that's his preferred option for quickly launching counterattacks from kickouts.
3. Once closed off, immediately swarm his far right channel at exactly midfield, as that's his fallback when 1 and 2 are closed out, and Dublin are exceptionally quick to recognise this situation and swamp this channel, to tilt the breaking ball percentage on their favour.

As I say I don't know if you can really prevent all 3 all of the time. But if Mayo force no.3 and then more than break even with these restarts, then Clucko might have to some thinking on his feet. Which, let's be honest, he rarely has to do.

Greatest keeper of all time by a distance by the way. But the patterns are there.

That would be a better option alright but much harder to execute and I'm not sure we have the players for it