All Ireland Semi Final: The Dubs v Cavan, 1730 Saturday 5 December 2020

Started by Hound, November 24, 2020, 08:35:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: bannside on December 05, 2020, 08:31:30 PM
I dont gove a toss if Dublin win it for the next 100 years....as long as there is some kind of level playing field.

Cavan today played their 5th match in 6 weeks. Looked tired... because they were tired.

Heres a solution that might just breath some life into this thing before no one cares any more. Do away with provincials altogether. Its a small country we live in. 5 hours top to bottom.

Two comps. Sam for teams finishing in next years Divs one and two of the league. Mick for divs three and four. Wuth proper prizemoney holidays and perks for winning it. Played before Sam final. Double header.

In all competitions, neutral ground for venue. That would free up Croke Park as a venue for all counties.

If the Dubs thought they might draw Mayo at a neutral venue, it might mean they need to have their A game in place for the very first match, instead of cruising through Leinster in second gear.

And the B comp will be every bit as competitive and worth winning.

I've been advocating that for years now. But I already think it's too late.

Kerry on a good day might push Dublin. Nobody else will. Teams from 2-16 could beat each other, but nobody will beat Dublin. It's over. The horse has bolted.

tonto1888

Quote from: BennyCake on December 05, 2020, 08:50:09 PM
I dont gove a toss if Dublin win it for the next 100 years....as long as there is some kind of level playing field.

Cavan today played their 5th match in 6 weeks. Looked tired... because they were tired.

Heres a solution that might just breath some life into this thing before no one cares any more. Do away with provincials altogether. Its a small country we live in. 5 hours top to bottom.

Two comps. Sam for teams finishing in next years Divs one and two of the league. Mick for divs three and four. Wuth proper prizemoney holidays and perks for winning it. Played before Sam final. Double header.

In all competitions, neutral ground for venue. That would free up Croke Park as a venue for all counties.

If the Dubs thought they might draw Mayo at a neutral venue, it might mean they need to have their A game in place for the very first match, instead of cruising through Leinster in second gear.

Kerry on a good day might push Dublin. Nobody else will. Teams from 2-16 could beat each other, but nobody will beat Dublin. It's over. The horse has bolted.

Kerry must have had two good days last year then

BennyCake

Quote from: tonto1888 on December 05, 2020, 08:53:30 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on December 05, 2020, 08:50:09 PM

Kerry must have had two good days last year then

They played 15v 14 for nearly an hour, and still couldn't win. Dublin in the replay won handy enough in the end.

6th sam

Absolutely valid points, made todaybin "The Irish Mirror" by Bernard brogan re  Dean Rock and the gym etc. (And fair play to Dublin for making the most of the ridiculous advantages they enjoy, )  but do other county players benefit from a loaded AI system, have all their games at home, an almost guaranteed AI medal and several extra perks along the way. NO!

This inequitable nonsense needs to stop . Never mind the other counties not getting a fair crack of the whip, it's also completely unfair on this brilliant Dublin team that their success is completely devalued and they don't get a chance to prove they are best under a fair system.

seafoid

Quote from: sid waddell on December 05, 2020, 08:12:38 PM
Quote from: seafoid on December 05, 2020, 07:57:03 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on December 05, 2020, 07:43:23 PM
The reality is Cavan are a Division 3 team who won Ulster this year on pure heart, pure determination

And fair play to them, they were game as a pebble this evening and were far from disgraced, they were a damn sight better than anybody in Leinster would have been

But they are not the best team in Ulster, they're not the second best team in Ulster, probably not third best

Not sure exactly what people expected this evening

Being good is not a crime

Being good means it's difficult to beat you

Colm O'Rourke was basically pushing the Homer Simpson line - if something is too difficult, quit

I would hope Colm doesn't bring that attitude to his day job in school

Colm's other line is that if a team wins too much for his liking, you should change the rules to bring the good team down to the level of others

Colm very much does not espouse that philosophy in his views on society as a whole, which I find interesting

6 in a row is a sign that the system is broken.

Even gobshites understand that now.
The Challenge Cup in Rugby League recovered from Wigan's eight in a row

The Mayo SFC recovered from Ballina's 13 in a row

The Armagh championship seems to be recovering well from Crossmaglen's 13 in a row/19 in 20 years

The All-Ireland hurling championship recovered from Kilkenny's 11 in 16 years

County championships, Sid?
Go back to.your handlers and ask for proper data

Rossfan

Quote from: 6th sam on December 05, 2020, 08:59:29 PM
it's also completely unfair on this brilliant Dublin team that their success is completely devalued and they don't get a chance to prove they are best under a fair system.
Only fair system to test them is a 5 team All Ireland with Dublin, Connacht, Munster, Ulster and the rest of Leinster.
Good to see the present inequities are  dawning on a lot of GAAboarders at last.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

marty34

Is there no responsibility on the other counties in this debate?

All Dublin's fault?

greatpoint

Quote from: Itchy on December 05, 2020, 08:16:27 PM
Quote from: greatpoint on December 05, 2020, 07:11:57 PM
Cavan were pure shite despite the platitudes being dished out on the TV & radio coverage.

Says a a gobshite from Carlow that spent how many years of their sorry existence in Div4? Youd know what shite is alright.

I am proud of the lads. Yes they made some terrible errors in the 1st half and they ran out of juice in the 2nd but they did everything they could and they know where the level is that they need to strive towards. Dublin are just an incredible team. The level of athleticism, power and strength they have through their panel is sensational, its professional I suppose. They are also incredibly skillful and big Fenton is the best player in Ireland by a mile. Their first 5 subs, without doubt, start on any other team in the country.

Cavan have a lot of new players or lads really only getting into a proper S&C program (a legacy of previous managements and county board not doing it right) We have a good man in there now and hopefully we can keep him. We have an excellent manager. We have some damn good players. The players have had a taste of glory so hopefully that convinces them to stick with it and push on for more. I'm confident this will be a start for Cavan to move up in the world, not the end of a good team like it was in 97.  So a great year and well done to all involved.

No need for a personal attack Itchy pet. Cavan performed about as well as the better Leinster counties generally do against Dublin, ye were further away than Westmeath but closer than Meath. There's no point in pretending that Cavan should be praised for that, the Leinster teams aren't. They played out of their skins in the Ulster final but were nowhere near that today. When was the last time there was a 15 point loss in a semi-final?

dublin7

There's 2 games to go this season, but people are saying Dublin are too good so they have to be stopped. Shame on Dublin for being brilliant. That's unfair on everyone else.

It's like the kid in school taking his ball home with him because he's not any good compared to everybody else.

The begrudgery is something else. Only in Ireland do people get abused for being brilliant at what they do. Its some stupid jealous trait that people in Ireland want to see successful people fail and get abused rather than acknowledge their success.

6th sam

Quote from: marty34 on December 05, 2020, 09:14:22 PM

All Dublin's fault?

Who said it was Dublin's fault? Dublin don't confer those advantages on themselves , It's the GAA that allows those advantages.

Itchy

Quote from: greatpoint on December 05, 2020, 09:16:45 PM
Cavan were pure shite despite the platitudes being dished out on the TV & radio coverage.

Says a a gobshite from Carlow that spent how many years of their sorry existence in Div4? Youd know what shite is alright.

I am proud of the lads. Yes they made some terrible errors in the 1st half and they ran out of juice in the 2nd but they did everything they could and they know where the level is that they need to strive towards. Dublin are just an incredible team. The level of athleticism, power and strength they have through their panel is sensational, its professional I suppose. They are also incredibly skillful and big Fenton is the best player in Ireland by a mile. Their first 5 subs, without doubt, start on any other team in the country.

Cavan have a lot of new players or lads really only getting into a proper S&C program (a legacy of previous managements and county board not doing it right) We have a good man in there now and hopefully we can keep him. We have an excellent manager. We have some damn good players. The players have had a taste of glory so hopefully that convinces them to stick with it and push on for more. I'm confident this will be a start for Cavan to move up in the world, not the end of a good team like it was in 97.  So a great year and well done to all involved.

No need for a personal attack Itchy pet. Cavan performed about as well as the better Leinster counties generally do against Dublin, ye were further away than Westmeath but closer than Meath. There's no point in pretending that Cavan should be praised for that, the Leinster teams aren't. They played out of their skins in the Ulster final but were nowhere near that today. When was the last time there was a 15 point loss in a semi-final?

What would someone from Carlow even know about football. Go back to your hole and sort out your ridiculous jerseys. You call my county "pure shite" what do you expect gobshite.

marty34

Quote from: 6th sam on December 05, 2020, 09:20:25 PM

All Dublin's fault?

Who said it was Dublin's fault? Dublin don't confer those advantages on themselves , It's the GAA that allows those advantages.

What advantages?

armaghniac

Quote from: sid waddell on December 05, 2020, 08:12:38 PM
The Armagh championship seems to be recovering well from Crossmaglen's 13 in a row/19 in 20 years

Crossmaglen did not have any unbalanced advantage over other Armagh teams, other than having the final in their ground in a few years, which was a temporary arrangement. They are better compared to Kerry than Dublin.

But any oul shite will do when justifying Dublin.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

Quote from: 6th sam on December 05, 2020, 09:20:25 PM

All Dublin's fault?

+1.
There are 5 or 6 Dublin soccer teams in the League of Ireland.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

greatpoint

Quote from: Itchy on December 05, 2020, 09:20:42 PM
Quote from: greatpoint on December 05, 2020, 09:16:45 PM

What would someone from Carlow even know about football. Go back to your hole and sort out your ridiculous jerseys. You call my county "pure shite" what do you expect gobshite.

I was clearly referring to their performance today against Dublin. Do Leinster counties get praised for 15 point losses?