Bloody Sunday Documentary on RTE

Started by Ash Smoker, November 17, 2020, 10:59:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyrdub

Have had the book sitting on a shelf for some time now but never got round to reading it, but I watched the programme, thought it was brilliant. I knew about the 12 Apostles but didnt know much about the actual attack on Croke Park, can picture the scene when they are telling the story ,would have been frightening.
The book is getting started tonight

Rossfan

Decent programme but I  more or less knew a lot of it already.
Hadn't heard the bit about the Tans/Auxies/RIC thinking the Tipp team contained the assassins.
Nice to hear the few personal recollections.
As for the people in the mass grave I presume they were too poor to have their own plots and were buried by the Corpo?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

highorlow

The Abbey in conjunction with the GAA are doing a production that will be streamed on youtube etc.

Looks interesting. Better than flogging jerseys....

https://www.abbeytheatre.ie/whats-on/14-voices-from-the-bloodied-field/

Tomorrow evening at 7pm.

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on November 18, 2020, 11:56:54 AM
Quote from: naka on November 18, 2020, 07:16:42 AM
Continuing on this note there is an excellent programme on bbc iplayer called " hawkes and doves "
By Michael portillo on the British government response to the war of independence.
Reality is that the 6 county North was predetermined before the negotiations started.
Portillo quite good at these type of shows.

I've grown to really enjoy portillo. My memory of him from my younger days don't match my impression of him now. Intelligent man

Recorded it as i was watching it for a bit then headed to bed, looked good!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: Main Street on November 18, 2020, 09:08:25 PM
It was the first time I heard a detailed account of what actually happened at Croke Park and the aftermath.
Hard to imagine should 6 or 10 of those murdered at Bloody Sunday in Derry were shoved into the one unmarked grave.
Typical Churchillian type imperialism, 'the natives were scum'.

I think there's a misunderstanding here.

The programme said that eight of the victims were buried in unmarked graves. That would have been because their families could not afford a headstone. Dublin was a very deprived city at the time. The GAA has now been belatedly putting headstones on the graves of the murdered victims.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Last Caress

Quote from: Tyrdub on November 19, 2020, 10:26:44 AM
Have had the book sitting on a shelf for some time now but never got round to reading it, but I watched the programme, thought it was brilliant. I knew about the 12 Apostles but didnt know much about the actual attack on Croke Park, can picture the scene when they are telling the story ,would have been frightening.
The book is getting started tonight
Finished the book recently. Great read.  Micheal Foley tells not only the facts about that day but the storys of the teams and the individual victims.  Micheal is one of the contributors in the programme.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Main Street on November 19, 2020, 09:59:45 AM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on November 19, 2020, 12:52:13 AM
Quote from: Main Street on November 18, 2020, 09:08:25 PM
It was the first time I heard a detailed account of what actually happened at Croke Park and the aftermath.
Hard to imagine should 6 or 10 of those murdered at Bloody Sunday in Derry were shoved into the one unmarked grave.
Typical Churchillian type imperialism, 'the natives were scum'.

Seriously though, do you think that generals Wilford or Ford could have given less of a fiddler's fcuk where those victims ended up, either in a limestone communal pit or each a dedicated grave?
I don't give a fiddler's about the generals, I am remarking about how the murdered were treated then. Seriously though,  are you really that dumb?

Generally not half as dumb as yourself, but to suppose that Imperial overlords from one generation to the next differ to any significant degree beggars belief, where Ireland, north or south, is specifically concerned.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

BennyCake

Continuing on this note there is an excellent programme on bbc iplayer called " hawkes and doves "
By Michael portillo on the British government response to the war of independence.
Reality is that the 6 county North was predetermined before the negotiations started.

Interesting that they discussed the possibility of a 4 county NI which excluded Tyrone and Fermanagh, but they felt a statelet that small was economically unsustainable (Not that it's economically booming these days).

Would they consider reducing NI even further to hold a Protestant majority if needed? After all, as far as I'm aware, only Down and Antrim have unionist majorities.

tonto1888

Watched it this morning. Really good. Have the book so will be starting that this evening

From the Bunker

Kevin Myers on the Hard Shoulde - Newstalk there at 4:30pm.

He has huge disdain for everything done by the Republican movement.

Still Interesting to hear his biased research about the day.

ardtole

Quote from: BennyCake on November 20, 2020, 01:52:44 PM

Interesting that they discussed the possibility of a 4 county NI which excluded Tyrone and Fermanagh, but they felt a statelet that small was economically unsustainable (Not that it's economically booming these days).

Would they consider reducing NI even further to hold a Protestant majority if needed? After all, as far as I'm aware, only Down and Antrim have unionist majorities.

Only north down from Comber out to the Ards peninsula would be a unionist majority in down, quite substantially granted.

Carryduff, Saintfield etc would have unionist strongholds at one time but not now. The majority  of the rest of the county would be strongly nationalist.

In Antrim, Belfast has a nationalist majority now, although the rest of Antrim definitely unionist.

Main Street

BBC propaganda are up their tricks again with an article Bloody Sunday 1920: Croke Park killings remembered 100 years on

It almost reads like a chapter from the whitewash and this a 100 year old event.

'Earlier that Sunday morning, the IRA killed 14 people and wounded others in a series of co-ordinated attacks across Dublin, with the aim of assassinating British intelligence agents or spies.
The British authorities suspected some of the gunmen had disappeared into the crowd at Croke Park, so armed police were deployed to block all the exits and search thousands of spectators.
But, within minutes, panic ensued as police began shooting indiscriminately into the crowd.'

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54908852

How about
Earlier that Sunday morning, the IRA killed 13 military personnel (7 British Army Intelligence Officers,  3 BA officers,  1 RIC sergeant,  2 Auxies.1 civilian).