Micky Harte & Tyrone part their ways!!!

Started by illdecide, November 14, 2020, 11:36:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

Guys this needs it's own thread TBH. What a man, what a manager & what a legend.

Coming from an Armagh man I think Micky should go down as one of the greatest in our games, from underage to senior he done it all. Tragedy after tragedy he came back and put his shoulder to the wheel again and again when many a man would have folded like a deck of cards. He had some terrific players at his disposal there's no doubt about that but so had other great teams but couldn't get over the line but Micky sure did at all levels. Best of luck Micky for whatever else comes your way.

For you Tyrone ones who were looking for a change many years ago that was just silly and I argued against it, maybe the time is right, maybe it's not. Who knows but we'll find out but one thing I will say..."Be careful what you wish for"

Best of luck Micky, some lucky team could get his services next season.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

skeog

Couldnt see Mickey taking another county but if he does they will be getting one of the greatest managers the Gaa has seen.

Main Street

I don't think other counties would be willing to have a full on boycott of RTE, no matter how much they might sympathise with the grievance.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: illdecide on November 14, 2020, 11:36:24 AM
For you Tyrone ones who were looking for a change many years ago that was just silly and I argued against it, maybe the time is right, maybe it's not. Who knows but we'll find out but one thing I will say..."Be careful what you wish for"

+1

grounded

Personally think he's a superb manager. It takes a very special manager to take a team that never won a SFC Alll ireland to not just one but three titles. Yes Tyrone had some unbelievably talented players at that time but he was the guiding influence.
       I suppose given the length of time he was at the helm things to go a little stale and Tyrone could probably do with a little shake up,. Mickey was a fantastic asset and servant for Tyrone. Wish we had of had him in Down.
       I'd love to see him taking another county team but I cant see him doing it.
        All the best Mickey what brilliant times you gave Tyrone

Itchy

I believe he is in the studio today in bbc for the cavan v down game. Big piece in the irish examiner with Declan Bogue too for those interested. His main reason for looking for an extension was that this year was to be his last yet he felt, due to covid, it wasnt a full year. Doesnt come across as bitter for it.

He was a tremendous manager in my view. Ruthless too in that his teams were no angels and when they came across any team that might threaten to be coming he'd push hard to give them a hammering. Even if it was in the Mckenna cup! However, ill never be able understand how he wrote a court reference for a rapist and that type of hypocrisy from him is a major blotch on his character for me. I think Tyrone will probably go backwards now as a new setup will take time to root, 18 years of doing things a certain way will take time to change.

imtommygunn

Fantastic manager and has kept Tyrone near the top for so long. He has to be one of the best ever.

I do think it's time for a change but ai think it will be very interesting to see what is coming next. The question is did he play defensively the last few years because he think/know he had the forwards or did he just think that was the right way to setup. It has to be considered he didn't play so defensively in the noughties. Tyrone's better club forwards tend to be small in stature - O'Neill, Brennan, Bradley- and I think he knew they'd find it difficult in county football these days. Also he made a good player out of some boys who a lot never thought had the makings of it. Mcshane to full forward, cavanagh to sweeper and McCann to half back have been great bits of management. Also managed the guy who's name escapes me from dromore really well at corner back too.

I guess some criticisms could be seemed to hang on to some errigal boys when they maybe didn't look like they were cutting it and a bit stubborn on change at times.

Is the RTÉ thing purely about the guy and the big job - carty wasn't it? I read some people saying about RTÉ apologising for abuse that they give Tyrone but I don't think that's what it's about at all? Could be wrong but any which way you'll be a while waiting on an apology.

armaghniac

The RTÉ thing was made much worse when they did a skit on him featuring the song Pretty Little Girl from Omagh"  which was in extremely poor taste owing to the death of his daughter.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

6th sam

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 15, 2020, 12:07:58 PM
Fantastic manager and has kept Tyrone near the top for so long. He has to be one of the best ever.

I do think it's time for a change but ai think it will be very interesting to see what is coming next. The question is did he play defensively the last few years because he think/know he had the forwards or did he just think that was the right way to setup. It has to be considered he didn't play so defensively in the noughties. Tyrone's better club forwards tend to be small in stature - O'Neill, Brennan, Bradley- and I think he knew they'd find it difficult in county football these days. Also he made a good player out of some boys who a lot never thought had the makings of it. Mcshane to full forward, cavanagh to sweeper and McCann to half back have been great bits of management. Also managed the guy who's name escapes me from dromore really well at corner back too.

I guess some criticisms could be seemed to hang on to some errigal boys when they maybe didn't look like they were cutting it and a bit stubborn on change at times.

Is the RTÉ thing purely about the guy and the big job - carty wasn't it? I read some people saying about RTÉ apologising for abuse that they give Tyrone but I don't think that's what it's about at all? Could be wrong but any which way you'll be a while waiting on an apology.

My understanding is that Mickey was offended by a sketch on RTE radio. He was 100% right in my opinion and RTE's response was either woefully inadequate or deliberately anti-Tyrone. It was badly timed and insensitive, and in addition perhaps unmasked an underlining anti-northern bias in RTE GAA coverage . I'm not a Tyrone fan but I believe the view promoted by RTE , that they were more thugs than footballers whilst giving cynical play by others a by-ball, was unfair on them. Spillane and O'rourke were the most obvious but others were more subtle. Joe Brolly didn't help as the sole northern voice.
Watching Sky yesterday and listening to mcguinness, Donaghy and Canavan was so much better. Insightful , analytical , up to date, respectful, as opposed to competing for smartassed sound bites and personalised comments.
I'm sure
RTE could have resolved the issue with Harte with genuine remorse and a different tack regarding their coverage  but they chose not to.
Though some may have understandable criticism of Harte over some issues, you can't but admire the way he dealt with personal trauma and helped others deal with theirs. Regarding his football legacy , he showed incredible leadership , but success depends on the tools available particularly playing and coaching personnel. Regarding his departure , a word of warning for those that wanted him out, be careful what you wish for. O'Dwyer, Boylan, Mcgrath are just 3 examples of long-standing managers whose counties had prolonged dips in success after they were gone. The new Tyrone manager would need to be a seriously talented individual to be a better than Harte.

imtommygunn

Ah ok I maybe didn't know the full depth of the RTÉ thing.

Agreed on the personal tragedy thing. How he dealt with it was remarkable.

RTÉ punditry is becoming a bit of an embarrassment. Watching bbc Clarke and mcconville are much much better. Watching some sky coverage and they are much much better. I can't even listen to RTÉ punditry any more. Record and fast forward on highlights or turn it over at half time.

Armagh18

As an Armagh man, definitely not Hartes biggest fan but can't ignore what the man has achieved for his county. Saw a post somewhere the other day that even if he'd only taken over in 09 he'd still be their most successful manager ever. All the very best for the future.

From the Bunker

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 15, 2020, 12:43:25 PM
Ah ok I maybe didn't know the full depth of the RTÉ thing.

Agreed on the personal tragedy thing. How he dealt with it was remarkable.

RTÉ punditry is becoming a bit of an embarrassment. Watching bbc Clarke and mcconville are much much better. Watching some sky coverage and they are much much better. I can't even listen to RTÉ punditry any more. Record and fast forward on highlights or turn it over at half time.

There is a cosy cartel in RTE.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: 6th sam on November 15, 2020, 12:37:10 PM

Though some may have understandable criticism of Harte over some issues

That is quite the understatement.

Is there anyone out there who doesn't think the man is a p***k?

grounded

Yeah interesting to see him talk there pre-match. He didnt seem at all bitter by the decision, what came across was his passion for the GAA and Tyrone.
      Could there be a possibility that he could take over/be integrated back into the u17 u20
Setup. Its happened in other counties with Jack O Connor/Pete mc Grath coming to mind.

armaghniac

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 15, 2020, 01:46:25 PM
Quote from: 6th sam on November 15, 2020, 12:37:10 PM

Though some may have understandable criticism of Harte over some issues

That is quite the understatement.

Is there anyone out there who doesn't think the man is a p***k?

the man has annoyed people over an 18 year period, but plenty of posters here are much worse.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B