Colm Parkinson/The GAA Hour

Started by gallsman, November 09, 2020, 10:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeSoap

Quote from: rosnarun on March 30, 2022, 04:06:29 PM
how many Gaa/s pod cast are still free .
the 3 i mainly listened to . The mayo news Wooly and Second captains are all gone behind the pay wall and its getting very expensive.
i will probably drop Second captains who seem to disappearing up their own arses between live shows and sharing their  less  thought through political shows . if i wanted a political podcast i would not be looking  to Ken Early to provide it.  not to mention them bring in one of their brothers 'to do the Rugby'
and Far too much soccer anyway

I like SC as I enjoy soccer too but I find the rugby coverage nauseating to be honest and their GAA coverage sub par nowadays. They don't cover it enough when it's on, and when they do cover it, it's the same craic: You can't rule out Mayo, the Dubs the Dubs the Dubs, will Kerry finally win it. It's some version of those three topics every time. I heard on their free pod yesterday they covered mostly the hurling, but when they moved on to the football it was just about Meath being steamrolled by Dublin. So I imagine the football pod with Paul Flynn and McConville this week will focus on how terrible the Leinster championship is.

I'm not a hurling man really but they've barely mentioned the hurling championship either. No preview shows about any of the big matches and only really comment after a great game has happened.

On the topic, I can't listen to Wooly to be honest. He was a welcome addition to the media landscape because it helped shake things up and bring more podcasts and coverage, but as a few have mentioned, he only ever has guests agreeing with every single thing he's saying so it's just a boring listen I find.

Walter Cronc

Ditched SC long ago. Love themselves!

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: JoeSoap on May 17, 2022, 11:24:09 AM
the 3 i mainly listened to . The mayo news Wooly and Second captains are all gone behind the pay wall and its getting very expensive.
i will probably drop Second captains who seem to disappearing up their own arses between live shows and sharing their  less  thought through political shows . if i wanted a political podcast i would not be looking  to Ken Early to provide it.  not to mention them bring in one of their brothers 'to do the Rugby'

I like SC as I enjoy soccer too but I find the rugby coverage nauseating to be honest and their GAA coverage sub par nowadays. They don't cover it enough when it's on, and when they do cover it, it's the same craic: You can't rule out Mayo, the Dubs the Dubs the Dubs, will Kerry finally win it. It's some version of those three topics every time. I heard on their free pod yesterday they covered mostly the hurling, but when they moved on to the football it was just about Meath being steamrolled by Dublin. So I imagine the football pod with Paul Flynn and McConville this week will focus on how terrible the Leinster championship is.

I'm not a hurling man really but they've barely mentioned the hurling championship either. No preview shows about any of the big matches and only really comment after a great game has happened.

On the topic, I can't listen to Wooly to be honest. He was a welcome addition to the media landscape because it helped shake things up and bring more podcasts and coverage, but as a few have mentioned, he only ever has guests agreeing with every single thing he's saying so it's just a boring listen I find.
I cancelled my Second captains this week  for more or less the same reasons, I thought it was just me but there has been less and less GAA content recently and I  can only take so much of Ken Early to be honest  ,

JoeSoap

Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 17, 2022, 08:25:44 AM
Tomas O'Se has a very good pod with Jimmy McGuinness.

https://podtail.com/en/podcast/comhra-le-tomas/s3-ep2-jim-mcguinness/

Go raibh maith agat, I didn't know Tomás' pod was back, I enjoy those conversations.

JoeSoap

Quote from: Newbridge Exile on May 17, 2022, 01:18:04 PM
Quote from: JoeSoap on May 17, 2022, 11:24:09 AM

I cancelled my Second captains this week  for more or less the same reasons, I thought it was just me but there has been less and less GAA content recently and I  can only take so much of Ken Early to be honest  ,

definitely not just you it's felt like a real shift in their coverage since last year to be honest. I stick with them because sometimes they'll bring a pod out on some sport story I'll know nothing about and it can be a brilliant listen, but I've been disappointed with the GAA coverage to say the least. It got pretty entertaining last year when they first had Paul Flynn on and McConville called him out for his nonsense about media bias against Dublin, but since then it's been pretty poor. They just seem disappointed that Tyrone won the All-Ireland and that Mayo and the Dubs seem to be on the downward - maybe the coverage will pick up now that the Dubs are "back".

Real Talker

Hi all,

For anyone that might be interested, the Players Voice is a free podcast that takes listeners inside the minds of some of Ireland's most inspiring inter-county GAA players as they share important lessons from life on and off the field.

Guests so far have included Tom Parsons (Mayo), Séadna and Chloe Morey (Clare), Kate Keaney (Donegal), Louise Galvin (Kerry), Conn Kilpatrick (Tyrone), Neil McManus (Antrim), Dean Siney (Wicklow), Aisling Maher (Dublin). We have covered a range of issues including concussion, gambling addiction, leadership, sport/life balance, entrepeneurship, inclusivity, equality diversity and much more.

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/71B3t0dCxe2QBhSCb9pbVw?si=b51f71a8d2d74355&nd=1
Apple: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-players-voice/id1428632729
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/theplayersvoice-ie

marty34

Quote from: Real Talker on May 17, 2022, 04:28:14 PM
Hi all,

For anyone that might be interested, the Players Voice is a free podcast that takes listeners inside the minds of some of Ireland's most inspiring inter-county GAA players as they share important lessons from life on and off the field.

Guests so far have included Tom Parsons (Mayo), Séadna and Chloe Morey (Clare), Kate Keaney (Donegal), Louise Galvin (Kerry), Conn Kilpatrick (Tyrone), Neil McManus (Antrim), Dean Siney (Wicklow), Aisling Maher (Dublin). We have covered a range of issues including concussion, gambling addiction, leadership, sport/life balance, entrepeneurship, inclusivity, equality diversity and much more.

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/71B3t0dCxe2QBhSCb9pbVw?si=b51f71a8d2d74355&nd=1
Apple: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-players-voice/id1428632729
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/theplayersvoice-ie

Good stuff Real Talker.

Must get listening to them over the next few weeks.

ardtole

Quote from: JoeSoap on May 17, 2022, 01:27:05 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 17, 2022, 08:25:44 AM
Tomas O'Se has a very good pod with Jimmy McGuinness.

https://podtail.com/en/podcast/comhra-le-tomas/s3-ep2-jim-mcguinness/

Go raibh maith agat, I didn't know Tomás' pod was back, I enjoy those conversations.

He done one with Colin Corkery during lockdown I think, it was absoloutely hilarious, Tomas was laughing so hard, I couldnt help laughing. The story about pre season training in the afl  is well worth a listen. The Kevin Moran interview was very good too.

J70

I heard the Corkery story a while back.

Legend of a player.

How would he fit in these days with those unbelievable skills but weight issues? I suppose the Quigleys can do it, so why not him?

Newbridge Exile

The GAA hour  with Darren O'Sullivan is starting to grow on me, Barry Cahill and Eamon Magee are  decent analysts

greatpoint

Quote from: Newbridge Exile on May 18, 2022, 01:34:32 PM
The GAA hour  with Darren O'Sullivan is starting to grow on me, Barry Cahill and Eamon Magee are  decent analysts

Darren can be a bit dry but it's a more enjoyable listen than OTB's Football Pod.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: greatpoint on May 18, 2022, 05:42:11 PM
Quote from: Newbridge Exile on May 18, 2022, 01:34:32 PM

Darren can be a bit dry but it's a more enjoyable listen than OTB's Football Pod.

I was the same about the football pod. Paddy Andrews just grinded my gears but starting to grow on me. JOD offers some good insight into forward play, movement etc which I enjoy.

Eire90

Snapchap

Seen Wooly took quite the hissy fit over a bit of mild criticism from Cahair O'Kane last week.

O'Kane wrote a column criticising the media outlets who he thought were overly harsh on Eugene Brannigan, saying:

Wooly went all out, calling Cahair names ("mediocre Cahair"), accused him of defamation, took a pop at his aunt for defending him and also took a pop at his employer, The Irish News. For a fella who loves to dish out the attacks and settle old scores through his podcast, he seems remarkably sensitive to anybody who dares criticise him!

Snapchap

Quote from: square_ball on May 18, 2022, 09:28:48 PM
Don't see why he wouldn't have a go back at O'Kane when he's used his column to have an unnecessary pop at him. Plenty criticised Brannigan yet O'Kane picked Parkinson out.
No issue with him defending himself, but claiming he was defamed? Name calling? Taking jibes at Cahair's family and employer? Bit OTT.