The Masters 2020

Started by Boycey, November 09, 2020, 09:40:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebigfella

Quote from: Will it ever end on November 10, 2020, 08:23:06 AM
Quote from: thebigfella on November 10, 2020, 12:30:12 AM
Quote from: Will it ever end on November 09, 2020, 11:10:19 PM
It's not just his distance - it's the accuracy of the drives to date, hitting 60% + of fairways - plenty of other big hitters on tour but not getting those accuracy figures.

Augusta will definitely suit his booming draw off the tee but I'd be leaning more towards DJ & a chance taken that Rory's time away working on his distance will reap some rewards.

Would enjoy a Brooks / Bryson pairing at some point or a DJ / Bryson pairing to see how the latter reacts when the pressure of Augusta comes on.

His accuracy year to date is approx. 52%. DJ, JT, bubba, McIlroy ect... are well ahead in the accuracy. He doesn't need to be accurate though, just needs to be in play which is the game plan.

As for McIlroy working on gaining more distance, won't make a bit of difference if he hasn't sorted out his short irons/wedges. Since the restart that's been his biggest problem.

Not sure where you've got your stats?

PGA Tour YTD has Bryson @ 59%

DJ slightly below him & JT / Rory slightly above him.

PGA Tour YTD has Bryson @ 52% for me.

What you got to remember on the stats is 1 yard off the fairway and 90 yards of the fairway is the same. The further you hit it, the bigger the miss if you get it a few degrees off line - it's just basic geometry.

Bryson's strategy is all about making sure it is in play of the tee; even if he's in the trees 90 yards from the green and punching out side-roads, statistically from 90 yards the average no. of shots on tour is less than 2 shots (~1.92 or something) - so he's thinking worst case par. The statistics and reasoning about his strategy on each hole is all sound but he only has to get a little bit out of sequence with his swing for it to all go wrong.

As we seen at Memorial, he can easily hit a few out of bounds or potentially lose a few balls leading to big number of the card. That tournament at Vegas after the US Open was the same, one spectacular round followed by a car crash which put him out of contention. If it all goes to plan, he'll be hard to beat but golf isn't like that and I'm not sure he has a plan B at the moment.

I am a fan though even though he doesn't help himself at times with his attitude or slow play  >:(

screenexile

McIlroy is definitely worth an ew @ his current price he's been top 10 5 of the last 6 years so pretty good chance to get your money back and if he clicks you'll do well!

Will it ever end

Agree when it goes wrong it goes very wrong very quickly!

screenexile

Tiger is top 10 9 out of 12 of his last starts at Augusta!!

Will it ever end

Really like those pairings...

Bryson's keeps the heat off him DJ/Rory & Brooks/JT will all be comfortable playing together ... hopefully sets up an exciting weekend with all in contention

Boycey

Earlier tee times too meaning no late night excitement for us this year. Going by the tee times it'll all be wrapped up by 10PM, Irish time obviously, every night and 8PM Sunday night unless there's a play-off

An Watcher

That's not great. I was raging a few years back when they messed about with the times due to the weather. All wrapped up early. Just not the same

Boycey

We usually give this guy's analysis a plug every year. He has ruled some high profile names out as usual..

https://www.golfwrx.com/640154/the-21-players-who-can-win-the-masters/

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: An Watcher on November 11, 2020, 06:05:37 AM
That's not great. I was raging a few years back when they messed about with the times due to the weather. All wrapped up early. Just not the same

I'm sure they'll adjust the times back just to suit people on Ireland who are watching on the TV

An Watcher

Fair play to them, great bunch a lads

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Boycey on November 11, 2020, 09:53:06 PM
We usually give this guy's analysis a plug every year. He has ruled some high profile names out as usual..

https://www.golfwrx.com/640154/the-21-players-who-can-win-the-masters/

Thanks Boycey. He's never too far off.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Boycey

Three hours play lost already today.... Rich Beem on Sky Sports saying there with the limited daylight hours it'll already take them until Sat afternoon to get back in position without anymore interruption.

thebigfella

Bryson's just hit a pull hook on the 11th (his 2nd today) into the trees, the guts of 150 yards where he was aiming. The provisional pulled as well, this could get interesting :D

screenexile