Back to the Future - Straight knockout the way forward

Started by APM, November 02, 2020, 09:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo

Quote from: Eire90 on November 02, 2020, 03:10:57 PM
Would a small county rather get to play in a all Ireland quarter final which is possible with a favorable draw in an open all ireland or win a 2nd tier championship.

Throw the losers of the R32 into a B Championship.

Should the draw be seeded? Div 1 and 2 teams in pot one and Div 3 and 4 teams in pot 2. Div 3 and 4 teams with home advantage in R1.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

An Watcher

Would tyrone playing away against carlow/Longford or whoever not draw a big crowd? The novelty of it, home fans hoping for a shock, away fans looking forward to something different. Everyone's a winner?
Similarly, if antrim were to draw Waterford and then say sligo, these would be huge games with an all Ireland quarter final at croker up for grabs.
New teams getting a chance, kerry or Dublin possibly exiting in the first round. All good

magpie seanie

I just think there's too much time in the calendar allocated to too few players. That's the major issue. We can argue about straight knockout, super 8's, qualifers etc but there needs to be a set time in which intercounty takes place. Competition structures can evolve/ be developed to fit. Must say straight knockout is some buzz because it's not so rare.

Lar Naparka

[quote author=An Watcher link=topic=29756.msg2004405#msg2004405 date=160433123
Would tyrone playing away against carlow/Longford or whoever not draw a big crowd? The novelty of it, home fans hoping for a shock, away fans looking forward to something different. Everyone's a winner?
Similarly, if antrim were to draw Waterford and then say sligo, these would be huge gameswith an all Ireland quarter final at croker up for grabs.
New teams getting a chance, kerry or Dublin possibly exiting in the first round. All good
[/quote]
Can't see this happening as the drop in finance would be too great. The Gah would lose too much money.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Eire90

so Galway are into a effectively all ireland quarter final without playing a game

imtommygunn

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 03, 2020, 10:32:36 AM
I just think there's too much time in the calendar allocated to too few players. That's the major issue. We can argue about straight knockout, super 8's, qualifers etc but there needs to be a set time in which intercounty takes place. Competition structures can evolve/ be developed to fit. Must say straight knockout is some buzz because it's not so rare.

I would agree with all of that. The hurling just doesn't feel quite the same because it's not straight knockout(yet). Let's be honest we have a lot of messing each year leading to the main events which are from quarters onwards. Qualifiers occasionally brought up good early games but not that often - or not often enough anyway. Having fixed windows for club and county has really worked.

BennyCake

Quote from: APM on November 02, 2020, 03:18:14 PM
Quote from: Orior on November 02, 2020, 03:00:39 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 02, 2020, 02:06:53 PM
Donegal Tyrone was great value. Either could have won, and you knew it was do or die. None of this "ach sure we can regroup through the back door" bollocks.

The championship needs to be a 32 county open draw, where you have potentially Kerry having to go to Ballybofey, or Dublin to Castlebar. One bad performance, a fluke goal, and you're out. Bye bye.

Yes, the cream will usually rise to the top, but you are going to get shocks, big guns exiting early, but that's what it's all about. Kerry Dublin Mayo getting to AI finals year after year is boring as shit.

Throwing teams in a Tier 2 championship will do feck all for anyone. A good run for a Longford, Carlow, Sligo etc will do more for participation in those counties than any amount of coaching or funding or a dozen Tier 2 titles.

Agree that it needs to be all 32 and an open draw. You might also need a preliminary round for New York, London and Warwickshire. And punish Kilkenny if they don't field a team.

If you got a 32 county open draw there would be buyer's remorse.  No different to the super 8s anti-climax, predictable and all as it was.

Yes, you might get Donegal and Kerry in the first round and you might get a big crowd and a great atmosphere on the May Bank Holiday.  On the other hand you might get Meath and Limerick in the Gaelic Grounds and no-one there.  Can you tell me that this is a better alternative to Meath and Westmeath or Louth. 

Division 1 Tyrone might have to go down to Division 3 Tipperary and will beat them handy in front of an empty stadium. But Div 1 Tyrone v Div 3 Derry / Fermanagh - that's a different beast entirely.

Yes, and you could also get Limerick Meath in a Tier 2 championship, and even less people there.

There'd be more spectators at a Meath Limerick where the winner makes progress in the AI championship, and the potential getting to an AI QF/semi.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Eire90

why do gaa have to come up with  complicated formats id rather go back to old back door system with 4 provincial winners getting home advantage than those formats their proposing 32 team open draw would be my preferred  option but that will never happen so the next best to that is old back door system no super 8 just 4 knockout quarter finals.

Ball Hopper

How about seeding the draws in each province based on league standings?

Rossfan

Putting the 2 worst teams in Leinster into the "Munster" Championship will put manners on Kerry.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Captain Obvious

Angelo

Quote from: Captain Obvious on November 05, 2020, 12:00:26 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on November 04, 2020, 04:59:53 PM
Meanwhile in the non Bennycake world

https://www.gaa.ie/news/fixtures-task-force-recommends-split-season-model-for-gaa-calendar/

If common sense was used the U21 championship would be reintroduced than going with a U19 championship.

U21 was never needed more than now in GAA.

You look back 15-20 years ago and the amount of young lads of 17-18 that would be thrown in for Championship debuts was commonplace. Everyone could look across their own county and list off countless examples. How often does that happen now?

It's exteremely rare now and U21 was a vital pathway for players to get ready for senior level. Instead you have lads coming out of U20 now who are most likely a year or two short of the required physical development needed for senior level. U21 is needed to bridge that gap.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Laois Rising

Angelo I concur 100 percent with you. A straight knock out u21 championship should be reintroduced. The u20 championship in its current guise doesn't have the same sparkle or appeal either-especially when counties top players cannot play if they are still involved with the counties senior championship team.

omagh_gael

I don't know about other counties but u10s a joke in Tyrone and Monaghan (so I've heard from family). I know my own cousin in Moaghan has finished up with 17s (he has a bad birthday) and only has adult junior b which is no place for a 17 year old.

This grade needs a serious rethink across club and county. Can just imagine the amount of lads drifting away between 17 and 19 years of age.