Author Topic: Leinster Championship 2020  (Read 14599 times)

hardstation

• On a cold and misty morning on the Anagaire bridge
    • View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
Re: Leinster Championship 2020
« Reply #165 on: November 21, 2020, 09:15:41 PM »
Donegal are fairly being talked up. What are we basing this on?

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 21, 2020, 09:18:05 PM »
I also wonder that. They’re obviously very good but Tyrone had a chance to beat them. Tyrone wouldn’t have the chance to beat Dublin I expect.  Donegal post Ulster haven’t done it this past few years. To go from not making a breakthrough to beating Dublin would be a massive step.

Dinny Breen

• I will repair to the Curragh of Kildare
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 21, 2020, 09:29:41 PM »

THE Leinster Council have devised a plan to help maximise the massive earning power of the Dublin's footballers, while also helping to avoid a major ticket scramble ahead of the provincial semi-finals.

The Leinster SFC semi-finals were originally scheduled as a double-header in Croke Park on June 28.

Dublin demonstrated their extraordinary pulling power by attracting 75,250 to their opening championship clash with Meath last weekend, more than double the 32,204 crowd who travelled to the Munster football semi-final between Cork and Kerry in Killarney last Sunday.

And that huge opening crowd immediately raised fears about a stampede for tickets for the Leinster semi-finals, where either Kildare or Wexford are due to play Laois or Louth and Dublin face the winners of Wicklow/Westmeath.

With expectations particularly high among Lilywhite fans this summer, their involvement in a double-header would only have exacerbated the problem.

So, the Leinster Council have provisionally arranged that if Kildare qualify, their semi-final will be taken out of Croke Park and the Dublin semi-final will be left there as a stand-alone game.

Firstly I don't care where the Kildare game is played, if we beat Wexford and that's a big bloody if, so this is all just speculation but if we do beat Wexford then you risk the possiblity of Dublin been in the Leinster Final have playing their third game in a row there whereas there possible opponents (KE, LS, LH) will be playing their first game in Croker this season, no matter what anyone says that is giving Dublin an advantage. Anyhow my main point is that the Leinster Council could be missing a fantastic opportunity to promote their games, a 82K sell-out with a mad scramble for tickets is always great copy for the papers, lets be honest anyone who deserves a ticket will get one but ticket fever always gives a great buzz in a county as it generally the first thing people talk about when they meet up. The Leinster Council imho are just been greedy and that won't reflect well in Kildare, Laois or Louth if Kildare manage to beat Wexford.

When it all began.......... :'(
#newbridgeornowhere

sid waddell

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 21, 2020, 09:30:03 PM »
I also wonder that. They’re obviously very good but Tyrone had a chance to beat them. Tyrone wouldn’t have the chance to beat Dublin I expect.  Donegal post Ulster haven’t done it this past few years. To go from not making a breakthrough to beating Dublin would be a massive step.
Tyrone beat Dublin this year

Yes it was only a league match but Dublin are usually pretty relentless all through the year

Tyrone are a good, seasoned team who had reached five of the previous seven All-Ireland semi-finals, and therefore it was hardly a surprise that they gave Donegal a close match, particularly in a knockout Ulster Championship first round match in which both teams had little football under their belts

It was the sort of match in which any sort of win was massive

Attitude is what Donegal would need most of all against Dublin, they have to believe with every fibre of their being that they are going to control the match and win

Meath completely froze tonight, the heads dropped very quickly, I can't remember who it was but there was a Mayo player in  House Of Pain who described the feeling when Kerry got the drop on them early in the 2006 final, it was like their legs collectively turned to jelly and their brains turned to mush, they were literally shaking

Kerry used to routinely pummel teams in Croke Park in the 2000s, but when they met their match they could be stood up to and beaten

Dublin can too, but you have to take your chances

Rossfan

• Ballaghaderreen CO ROSCOMMON
    • View Profile
    • Roscommon County Board official website
« Reply #169 on: November 21, 2020, 09:31:23 PM »
Class acts. Just absolutely miles ahead but its down to the rest to catch up
Go away Jarlath.
The rest haven't got 1.4m population nor around 40% of all Irish economic activity
Still Connacht Champions

Rossfan

• Ballaghaderreen CO ROSCOMMON
    • View Profile
    • Roscommon County Board official website
« Reply #170 on: November 21, 2020, 09:36:54 PM »
"Great white hope" syndrome?
Still Connacht Champions

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 21, 2020, 09:49:46 PM »

Yes it was only a league match but Dublin are usually pretty relentless all through the year

Tyrone are a good, seasoned team who had reached five of the previous seven All-Ireland semi-finals, and therefore it was hardly a surprise that they gave Donegal a close match, particularly in a knockout Ulster Championship first round match in which both teams had little football under their belts

Attitude is what Donegal would need most of all against Dublin, they have to believe with every fibre of their being that they are going to control the match and win

Meath completely froze tonight, the heads dropped very quickly, I can't remember who it was but there was a Mayo player in  House Of Pain who described the feeling when Kerry got the drop on them early in the 2006 final, it was like their legs collectively turned to jelly and their brains turned to mush, they were literally shaking

Kerry used to routinely pummel teams in Croke Park in the 2000s, but when they met their match they could be stood up to and beaten

You are now a big mental barrier for the Leinster teams.

Yes Tyrone are very good but you always put them away when it counts.

Perversely imo one of the best things to happen under gavin was the beating  by Donegal. It hardened the mentality. If you could be beat in tight games like Kerry then that would have happened last year I suspect.

tonto1888

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 21, 2020, 10:07:47 PM »

For me it was watching them against us and Tyrone. Also thought that Dublin looked a bit vulnerable and were missing some players. After tonight I don’t think there’s any stopping them

sid waddell

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 21, 2020, 10:08:52 PM »

You are now a big mental barrier for the Leinster teams.

Yes Tyrone are very good but you always put them away when it counts.

Perversely imo one of the best things to happen under gavin was the beating  by Donegal. It hardened the mentality. If you could be beat in tight games like Kerry then that would have happened last year I suspect.
I don't think Donegal would have anything like the mental fear of Dublin that Meath do

It's a bit like New Zealand in rugby, most teams will collapse against them because mentally they're bowled over but there are certain teams which have the mentality to do a number on them when it counts, like France on a couple of memorable occasions

I do think Donegal have the ability, whether they have the tactical know how, the mentality or the legs is another thing, but they're one of counties which have the DNA in them, the tradition, to just not give a f**k about anybody's reputation and turn anybody over - they're a wild card who could do anything

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 21, 2020, 10:19:48 PM »
I agree on the fear thing with Donegal. They don’t have the baggage of year in year out defeats Leinster teams do plus while 2014 was a while ago there are still a few of those players about that will help.

If Dublin can be beat this year is the year with more knockout games. Super eights played into theirs, and any stronger teams, hands. Donegal to me though would still be a bit short. I think one you mention “legs” might count against them. Dublin maybe too powerful on that front though Donegal improving there.

I honestly always felt Mayo would maybe have beat Dublin at some point during the five in a row if they’d have met at semi final stage or an earlier knockout round.

Captain Obvious

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 21, 2020, 10:22:14 PM »

Win tomorrow it will be three Ulster titles in a row for Donegal something Jim McGuinness or Brian McEniff couldn't do. However Donegal under Declan Bonner have flattered to deceive in the All Ireland series.

larryin89

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 21, 2020, 10:36:45 PM »
I agree on the fear thing with Donegal. They don’t have the baggage of year in year out defeats Leinster teams do plus while 2014 was a while ago there are still a few of those players about that will help.

If Dublin can be beat this year is the year with more knockout games. Super eights played into theirs, and any stronger teams, hands. Donegal to me though would still be a bit short. I think one you mention “legs” might count against them. Dublin maybe too powerful on that front though Donegal improving there.

I honestly always felt Mayo would maybe have beat Dublin at some point during the five in a row if they’d have met at semi final stage or an earlier knockout round.

We did in 2015 semi  and got beat by 8 points if my memory serves me right in the replay
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That’s all .

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 21, 2020, 10:59:46 PM »
Go away Jarlath.
The rest haven't got 1.4m population nor around 40% of all Irish economic activity

It’s up to the rest to catch up. Dublin can only play their best 15. A player needs to condition himself to a level and follow a game plan. Dublin have it down to a tee!

I would say that there are better natural footballers in other counties, it’s up to these counties to develop, get the right conditioning and game plan.

After that it’s luck! I’m bored of hearing they get this and have sooooo much money, if a county team is committed and good enough they’ll compete.
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 21, 2020, 11:08:32 PM »
Are Dublin fans not bored waltzing through Leinster so easily?

Yes it’s probably great your team is winning, but no matches are in any way competitive. No close games, no hard hitting, no end to end, edge of your seat stuff. You need games to get the excitement going, get the blood pumping

The All Ireland is the same way bar the odd close battle every 3/4 years.

Yes, Dublin are great at what they do, but I am so bored watching any of their matches. There’s no point to it anymore.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 11:10:30 PM by BennyCake »

From the Bunker

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 21, 2020, 11:10:39 PM »
Go away Jarlath.

It’s up to the rest to catch up. Dublin can only play their best 15. A player needs to condition himself to a level and follow a game plan. Dublin have it down to a tee!

I would say that there are better natural footballers in other counties, it’s up to these counties to develop, get the right conditioning and game plan.

After that it’s luck! I’m bored of hearing they get this and have sooooo much money, if a county team is committed and good enough they’ll compete.

"Qu'ils mangent de la brioche"