East Belfast GAA

Started by nearlymad, June 02, 2020, 12:53:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belfast GAA man

They are supping thE soup with the crest but I suppose theY have to try and fit in. Fair play to anyone setting up a new club as a lot of work

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: hardstation on July 18, 2020, 03:15:06 PM
I'm not looking to piss on their parade as I wish them every success but I'm genuinely curious as what sets this club apart as a "cross community club"? I understand it is East Belfast - a predominately Unionist area. I've heard that their team is more of a gather up of people with a GAA background from across the north who happen to live that direction now. I imagine that's the starting point with the intention to integrate people into their club from the PUL community bit by bit. I see they have a bit of Ulster-Scots on their badge too but what would make them attractive to the PUL community that the likes of Bredagh or Carryduff doesn't have or do?

Funders will be tripping over each other to fund ttrm.  Linda Ervine expert at this

general_lee

I'm not looking to piss on their parade as I wish them every success but I'm genuinely curious as what sets this club apart as a "cross community club"? I understand it is East Belfast - a predominately Unionist area. I've heard that their team is more of a gather up of people with a GAA background from across the north who happen to live that direction now. I imagine that's the starting point with the intention to integrate people into their club from the PUL community bit by bit. I see they have a bit of Ulster-Scots on their badge too but what would make them attractive to the PUL community that the likes of Bredagh or Carryduff doesn't have or do?
I think I read somewhere that their ethos is explicitly cross-community. While I consider the GAA welcoming to all I don't think that all clubs would in practice be that attractive to prods wanting to give GAA a go. I also don't see why anyone from a GAA background let alone a non-GAA background would want to dip their toes with either Carryduff or Bredagh, that's almost  like me saying I want to play soccer and trying to get a game with an Irish league/championship outfit.

BennyCake

Out of interest, did Magheralin have a tri colour flying at their ground?

Rossfan

If they hadn't will they be expelled from the GAA or will the game be declared null and void.
Apart from appointing Bean Uí Oirbhín as President are EB doing anything to promote the Irish language?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

gallsman

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on July 18, 2020, 07:49:47 PM

Funders will be tripping over each other to fund ttrm.  Linda Ervine expert at this

Give it a f**king rest. You don't like Linda Ervine and think she's a sham, we all think you're a twat who should stfu and see how things play out. Leave it at that for a while.

Walter Cronc

Symbols, fresh start...as we know, all very important to members of the PUL community. That would be my guess. I'd assume they can tap into a wider selection of funding with the Ulster Scots link. If they were to build pitches, where would you be talking? Ballyhack area? I imagine that's where most of their players reside.

armaghniac

I expect this club will at least go through the motions of bring open to everyone. For instance, I suspect that many NI clubs would send info to the the Catholic school but not the State one. These people should not assume traditional boxes and should at least ensure that any so called integrated schools are on board.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rois

Quote from: BennyCake on July 18, 2020, 09:43:38 PM
Out of interest, did Magheralin have a tri colour flying at their ground?
I've driven through Magheralin 3 times in past two days, and each time had to pass under two lovely 12th arches, one in the village itself and one in Moira. Then you get to Dollingstown...they could teach East Belfast GAC a thing or two about survival.

trailer

Quote from: hardstation on July 18, 2020, 11:45:34 PM
Quote from: general_lee on July 18, 2020, 09:23:37 PM
I think I read somewhere that their ethos is explicitly cross-community. While I consider the GAA welcoming to all I don't think that all clubs would in practice be that attractive to prods wanting to give GAA a go. I also don't see why anyone from a GAA background let alone a non-GAA background would want to dip their toes with either Carryduff or Bredagh, that's almost  like me saying I want to play soccer and trying to get a game with an Irish league/championship outfit.
What I mean is that for many years clubs like Bredagh, Carryduff, Lisburn etc have operated in Unionist areas or areas with big Unionist populations at least but have been kept going by the "Catholics" in those areas. The PUL community never took their kids to those clubs to give it a go (maybe the very odd one). Why do we think that this club will be different to that? Because this club is explicitly cross-community? Maybe but what is meant by that? What exactly are they doing differently to those other clubs, bar Ulster Scots which I imagine very few in the PUL community give 2 damns about?

If they get even a 5% participation from PUL community across all levels they'll be doing well. It'll be GAA people living in EB. Problem will arise when initial novelty wears off and normality returns can they keep the numbers up? I hope it works out as it has the potential to really successful.

general_lee

Quote from: hardstation on July 18, 2020, 11:45:34 PM
Quote from: general_lee on July 18, 2020, 09:23:37 PM
What I mean is that for many years clubs like Bredagh, Carryduff, Lisburn etc have operated in Unionist areas or areas with big Unionist populations at least but have been kept going by the "Catholics" in those areas. The PUL community never took their kids to those clubs to give it a go (maybe the very odd one). Why do we think that this club will be different to that? Because this club is explicitly cross-community? Maybe but what is meant by that? What exactly are they doing differently to those other clubs, bar Ulster Scots which I imagine very few in the PUL community give 2 damns about?
Those clubs you mention (the first two anyway) have substantial demand for the provision of GAA in their areas and also have established feeder schools. When these clubs were forming EBG's predecessors were folding. I stand to be corrected but I don't know of any GAA club anywhere whose ethos is explicitly cross-community? That's what that means. It might be a success in that regard, it might not. But there is a tangible difference to how they've set up their club and their motives for doing so. Out of interest do other new clubs receive as much scrutiny as this team does?

OgraAnDun

They've just tweeted that ten of their 15 starters on their seconds team today have never played GAA before, so I suppose there's your answer.

BennyCake

I suppose people of the PUL community might be more inclined to join a new club than walking into an established one. Clean slate, everyone starting from scratch.

Although established clubs could probably do as much outreaching by hitting the Protestant schools, and getting them involved young.

general_lee

Quote from: OgraAnDun on July 19, 2020, 02:52:50 PM
They've just tweeted that ten of their 15 starters on their seconds team today have never played GAA before, so I suppose there's your answer.
There you are hardstation. Ten bais getting the feel of a size 5 for the first time.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: hardstation on July 19, 2020, 03:46:31 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on July 19, 2020, 03:23:41 PM
I suppose people of the PUL community might be more inclined to join a new club than walking into an established one. Clean slate, everyone starting from scratch.

Although established clubs could probably do as much outreaching by hitting the Protestant schools, and getting them involved young.
I'd say being a brand new club probably is what they have going for them. I was just wondering what other clubs could copy from them if they wanted to attract the PUL community. Starting fresh isn't really an option for them.

Does anyone have any examples of PUL members in their own clubs? I know we've a couple of underage players at the min - albeit it from very moderate families.

The Loup are the only club in Derry I can think of with a reputation of attracting PUL players. In a lot of cases it friends of Loup players attending the Rainey school in Marafelt.