Who's your GAA cult hero?

Started by From the Bunker, March 21, 2020, 05:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 22, 2020, 10:49:20 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on March 22, 2020, 10:03:58 AM
Quote from: Estimator on March 22, 2020, 12:17:34 AM
For me the cult hero's aren't the lads who were the teams the best player, or regularly voted the best in the county, or the fellas who had long successful careers, or the popular players.

It's those fellas who were talented, a bit wild, and on any given day could do a bit of damage on the pitch, but who maybe weren't reliable or not as commited as you would want them to be. Enjoyed themselves on and off the pitch. The likes of Geoffrey McGonigle would be my example of a Cult Hero in Derry.

Sambo in Antrim.

Noel O'Leary. Or. Maybe or maybe not lol.

The Galway team of the 80's had plenty hearts to look up to, Brendan Lynskey Ger McInerery being the main two.. football wise Jack O'Shea, and more modern Tohill

From within my own county we'd  Olcan Clute McFetridge or just Clute and being of an age when you actually got to try and mark him in games was a joy!

Gerry had long hair and white boots before their time. Ticked all the boxes!

Forgot about clute. Something about sambo drew him to people. No doubt he was very good but there was just something about how he played made him that hero.

Aristo 60

Larry Reilly had a cult following on this board once upon a time. Not sure he had in Cavan though   ;D

J70

Quote from: larryin89 on March 22, 2020, 12:17:01 PM
Quote from: whitey on March 22, 2020, 11:43:03 AM
Quote from: larryin89 on March 22, 2020, 11:41:13 AM
Quote from: macdanger2 on March 22, 2020, 01:26:03 AM
Pádraig Brogan, unfulfilled genius

So true .

At his prime he was as good as David Clifford/

I was still under 10 in 85/86/87/88 , I remember that 0-8 to 0-7 loss to Galway in 87 very well for some reason and brogans scoring  a lot in 85/86/87 , I also remember asking the aul fella where is padraig brogan when we played Meath in 88 and him telling me about the curse of drink . I was a very disappointed Gasun that day . 

If I'm honest I can't really remember his comeback then in the 90s (he played v cork in that hammering ) what year did he play for Donegal ?

He played for Donegal in the 91 Championship and 91/92 league season, then left. Think McEniff had brought him up to Bundoran to give him a job and help him out. He went back to Mayo after the league for the 92 championship.

Apparently gave the Donegal boys a nice bit of motivation when he came on for Mayo in the AI semi that year. :)

Truth hurts

In Down from the turn of the century for around 15 years there was only one name on everyone's lips "Benny", He really was a one man band for a number of years . The best goal scorer I have ever seen, a genius.

imtommygunn

Shorty Trainor(spelling) had a bit of the cult thing going on too.

TheGreatest

rosnarun

when I was a young overweight Full forward  in the 89's Joe Mcnally always gave me hope, Nudie hughes as well 
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Lar Naparka

Quote from: TheGreatest on March 23, 2020, 02:29:06 PM
Diarmuid Connolly.

;)

Why the smiley?
Diarmuid was one of the finest players of his time and is (probably) still able to compete with the very best. Okay, he may be a wee bit temperamental at times but that doesn't take from his footballing genius or his ability to inspire those around him.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Orior

Quote from: Rossfan on March 21, 2020, 11:16:30 PM
Has to be Larry Reilly.

Seconded. He has his own thread on GAA Board which was great reading.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 23, 2020, 07:02:45 PM
Quote from: TheGreatest on March 23, 2020, 02:29:06 PM
Diarmuid Connolly.

;)

Why the smiley?
Diarmuid was one of the finest players of his time and is (probably) still able to compete with the very best. Okay, he may be a wee bit temperamental at times but that doesn't take from his footballing genius or his ability to inspire those around him.

Cult hero basically means someone greatly admired by a relatively small audience  despite limited success.  Connolly would not fall under that category.

trueblue1234

Owen Mulligan. Didn't have the consistency of Canavan or Cavanagh or the breathtaking ability of O'Neill but was always good for a moment of magic every now and again. Had that edge about him that annoyed opposition fans as well. Used to love watching him when he was on form.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

redzone

Paul hog donnelly would have a bit of a cult hero in Tyrone. Not for his football skillset either

BennyCake

Geoffrey McGonigle was a cult figure.
Nudie Hughes too.
Can't beat Francie Bellew though.

imtommygunn

Quote from: redzone on March 23, 2020, 08:31:40 PM
Paul hog donnelly would have a bit of a cult hero in Tyrone. Not for his football skillset either

Who could forget the James McCartan boot incident  ;D

Champion The Wonder Horse

Those who mention Geoffrey, Francie, Willie Joe, Cloot and possibly shorty know what a cult hero is.
The Francis Benalis and Rory Delaps of the GAA.