Author Topic: GAA Response to Coronavirus  (Read 58160 times)

Smurfy123

• View Profile
Re: GAA Response to Coronavirus
« Reply #690 on: May 15, 2020, 02:55:57 PM »
Iím not saying social distancing is pointless. Itís good but people now need to just be careful and stay in the distance where possible. This lockdown was brought in to flatten the curve not to prevent it. The curve is flattened in fact it has been buried. Buried
Now itís time to start things moving and get back to the NEW normal
Now you see the way I said new normal.
As I stated earlier in the things that will be new around GAA clubs. Cancer kills 450 people in the uk a day would you know?

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #691 on: May 15, 2020, 03:27:43 PM »
Didn't know the stats but it's larger than I would have thought on the cancer front. (Though with the contagiousness of this and the many hospices there are about then it means there are a lot of things different e.g. ICU load, palliative care etc)

It does just have to be a new normal. It just wouldn't seem right to be cautious in every aspect of your life but not when you go on a football field.

Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #692 on: May 15, 2020, 03:46:44 PM »
This seems pretty hard for people to grasp.

If medical advice is we are good to go with contact sport then I want the GAA up and running asap but until it is proven to be medically safe I would not want to return.

I would not want to see one of our members or family of our members die because we rushed it.

For someone to say it would be grand to play on is frankly ludicrous. When up to a third of our players said they dont feel comfortable - they dont feel comfortable because it isnt safe not because they couldnt be arsed

Cluborcountywhynotboth

• View Profile
« Reply #693 on: May 15, 2020, 04:23:15 PM »

If medical advice is we are good to go with contact sport then I want the GAA up and running asap but until it is proven to be medically safe I would not want to return.

I would not want to see one of our members or family of our members die because we rushed it.

For someone to say it would be grand to play on is frankly ludicrous. When up to a third of our players said they dont feel comfortable - they dont feel comfortable because it isnt safe not because they couldnt be arsed

Again being very selective with the figures there. Up too a third..the reality is it was 22% who actually said they wouldnít, a long way short of a third and short of a quarter. What about those that do want too? Do they not count?

As for Rossfan, you are 100% entitled to your opinion and can certainly disagree with my point of view but you are not untitled to put words in other posters mouths and make ridiculous claims like we donít care about people. You a other seems to take your opinion as fact and resort to sensationalist statements to bring others down.  Also at no time did I say we should move people out of their homes, I said they should continue to cocoon/isolate as the should be doing now.

Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #694 on: May 15, 2020, 04:30:52 PM »

Again being very selective with the figures there. Up too a third..the reality is it was 22% who actually said they wouldnít, a long way short of a third and short of a quarter. What about those that do want too? Do they not count?

As for Rossfan, you are 100% entitled to your opinion and can certainly disagree with my point of view but you are not untitled to put words in other posters mouths and make ridiculous claims like we donít care about people. You a other seems to take your opinion as fact and resort to sensationalist statements to bring others down.  Also at no time did I say we should move people out of their homes, I said they should continue to cocoon/isolate as the should be doing now.

Seems you have selectively ignored the rest of my post? I await your thoughts on that

Up to a third (which would be 33%)..........22% are definitely out - 21% didnt know so if we say half will go for and half will go against playing that would be a third. Hence up to a third

Cluborcountywhynotboth

• View Profile
« Reply #695 on: May 15, 2020, 04:39:33 PM »

Seems you have selectively ignored the rest of my post? I await your thoughts on that

Up to a third (which would be 33%)..........22% are definitely out - 21% didnt know so if we say half will go for and half will go against playing that would be a third. Hence up to a third
I have already addressed the rest of you post repeatedly. I will follow what the medical advisors say not what someone with no expertise (apologises if you are a virologist) in the areas says on a forum. Every single GAA player has a choice, it is a voluntary organisation and I am saying that they should be given the choice when the medical advice says so. You think different, you want to wait beyond what the advice currently is. Thatís fine, itís your prerogative.
Ok so to counter your sums I will say that you to 68%, or possibly as high as even 3/4 say they will play. Of those who have given an answer more than 2.5 times more want to play than dont, so again, do these players not count?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 04:41:22 PM by Cluborcountywhynotboth »

Rossfan

• Ballaghaderreen CO ROSCOMMON
    • View Profile
    • Roscommon County Board official website
« Reply #696 on: May 15, 2020, 05:12:58 PM »
The lockdown has never been about protecting young, healthy people from the virus. Where has that idea come from? Why are people arguing against this straw man?

It's about stopping young, healthy people (and everyone else) being a conduit for virus to not so young and not so healthy people.

Inherent in the argument that young, healthy people don't die, and should therefore be allowed to play away, is the notion that old and sick people should die so that this can happen. That's reprehensible.
[/b]

. IMO the best way forward would be to shield/lockdown/cocoon whatever you want to call it, those who are vulnerable and let everyone else get on with it. So your young healthy footballer or worker or whatever will not be passing it on to someone vulnerable as they will still be isolating.

1 BIG CUP and 1 Cupeen so far....

Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #697 on: May 15, 2020, 05:18:36 PM »

I have already addressed the rest of you post repeatedly. I will follow what the medical advisors say not what someone with no expertise (apologises if you are a virologist) in the areas says on a forum. Every single GAA player has a choice, it is a voluntary organisation and I am saying that they should be given the choice when the medical advice says so. You think different, you want to wait beyond what the advice currently is. Thatís fine, itís your prerogative.
Ok so to counter your sums I will say that you to 68%, or possibly as high as even 3/4 say they will play. Of those who have given an answer more than 2.5 times more want to play than dont, so again, do these players not count?

Please do point out where I said this?
Point out where I said we should not play when medical advice says we can?  ;)

Cluborcountywhynotboth

• View Profile
« Reply #698 on: May 15, 2020, 05:20:23 PM »
The lockdown has never been about protecting young, healthy people from the virus. Where has that idea come from? Why are people arguing against this straw man?

It's about stopping young, healthy people (and everyone else) being a conduit for virus to not so young and not so healthy people.

Inherent in the argument that young, healthy people don't die, and should therefore be allowed to play away, is the notion that old and sick people should die so that this can happen. That's reprehensible.
[/b]

. IMO the best way forward would be to shield/lockdown/cocoon whatever you want to call it, those who are vulnerable and let everyone else get on with it. So your young healthy footballer or worker or whatever will not be passing it on to someone vulnerable as they will still be isolating.
Youíve literally just proved my point. Nowhere in that do I say they should be Ďremoved from their homesí. So thank you for proving my point.

Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #699 on: May 15, 2020, 05:26:04 PM »

[/b]

Youíve literally just proved my point. Nowhere in that do I say they should be Ďremoved from their homesí. So thank you for proving my point.

So is your advice to shield/lockdown/cocoon whatever you want to call it, those who are vulnerable and let everyone else get on with it or is it to follow medical advice?

Two massively differing opinions.

Its ok to change your mind

Cluborcountywhynotboth

• View Profile
« Reply #700 on: May 15, 2020, 05:37:56 PM »

[/b]

So is your advice to shield/lockdown/cocoon whatever you want to call it, those who are vulnerable and let everyone else get on with it or is it to follow medical advice?

Two massively differing opinions.

Its ok to change your mind

Not massively different at all. I said this was the way forward, meaning once we get to the stage we can safely play football, not right now. For those of you who want to twist what I say or put words in mouth....I want footballers to have the choice to ply football when the medical advice says it is safe to do so (at present this is July). Along side this, and to limit infection, if it is still necessary, I think that those in the vulnerable categories should continue to cocoon as the have been. If you actually read the government time table this is pretty much what they are proposing. The vulnerable will not be in line with everyone else, in terms of the restrictions.

Rossfan

• View Profile
« Reply #701 on: May 15, 2020, 06:43:20 PM »

[/b]

A 25 year old living in a household wants to play football.
Oh good let him at it.
His mother who has cancer has to be kept hidden away somewhere from the selfish little bolx.
But as long as you didn't actually type "remove her from her house" .......

five points

• View Profile
« Reply #702 on: May 15, 2020, 06:54:53 PM »

A 25 year old living in a household wants to play football.
Oh good let him at it.
His mother who has cancer has to be kept hidden away somewhere from the selfish little bolx.
But as long as you didn't actually type "remove her from her house" .......

The first lesson of the new normal is that if you are living at home with a parent or someone else who has recently had cancer, you need either to get out of the house, or live like a hermit if you wish to stay.

This has nothing to do with football. Anyone who is prepared to selfishly put a parent's health at risk will do it anyway regardless of whether there's football to play.

Rossfan

• View Profile
« Reply #703 on: May 16, 2020, 04:29:41 PM »

Square Ball

• View Profile
« Reply #704 on: May 16, 2020, 06:34:02 PM »
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid