Author Topic: GAA Response to Coronavirus  (Read 58235 times)

armaghniac

• View Profile
Re: GAA Response to Coronavirus
« Reply #615 on: May 13, 2020, 01:46:28 PM »
The other thing that would save the day would be widespread testing onsite. A number of teams internationally are working on a breathalyser type device,  if this did not cost the earth and worked (big if) then games, training etc would involve people blowing into one of these yokes.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: May 13, 2020, 01:47:50 PM »
Canít turn around in a year and say right no vaccine letís all get back to playing after saying about no play until social distancing ends. Social distancing will be here until a vaccine is found end of story.

'course you can.

If someone discovers an easily administered treatment therapy that reduces case mortality to <0.001% then you'll see changes very quickly.

Stop trying to deal in absolutes, its just stupid.
That's one helluva big if.
Medical opinion is pretty unanimous that a working vaccine won't be available until the end of the year. I take anything else I hear as fake news. E
When when a vaccine is discovered, all hell will break loose as the vaccine will not be made available to all - the rich and powerful nations will head the queue and the rest of us can go suck the hind tit.
I agree with Larry that until  a vaccine is found, and freely availabe, safe distancing will be with us.

In fairness he said treatment not vaccine. There are some drugs out there currently used to treat other things that are being tested as a treatment against covid 19. They have already been clinically trialled sonar safe to use. IF one of those could fight the virus it would be a game changer and it should come before a vaccine. A number are currently being tested.
Fair point, Itchy but for all practical purposes, a vaccine is needed. One can experiment with other drugs/treatments thast may slow the progress of the virus or boost peoples' immune systems or whatever, but nothing, ASAIK, will stop the virus in its tracks except a working vaccine, which has still to be created.
Incidentally, I am one of the unlucky ones who contracted the bastard. I wonder if any/many Gaaboard members fell foul of it also. I was cat lucky because I am over 70 and have a serious underlying health problem (kidney failure) so that was a double whammy. However, although I was hospitalised in a bad way, I pepped up and was released 4 days later.
Thankfully, I am making a complete recovery with no lasting ill effects. (At least I hope not.)(
Well done you on your recovery, Iíd been keen to hear if there are others on here who also caught the virus?

Being nosey have you been able to trace where I you caught it?
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

RadioGAAGAA

• View Profile
« Reply #617 on: May 13, 2020, 01:54:30 PM »
Thankfully, I am making a complete recovery with no lasting ill effects. (At least I hope not.)(

Good stuff!

[yep, agreed that a vaccine is needed - but it isn't the only route back to a running economy]
i usse an speelchekor

Rossfan

• Ballaghaderreen CO ROSCOMMON
    • View Profile
    • Roscommon County Board official website
« Reply #618 on: May 13, 2020, 02:33:57 PM »
Sorry to hear your got the Covid Lar.
Glad you got through it and hope you have no after effects.
Clear here so far but Ros has overtaken Mayo as most cases per head of population and is now the worst in the West.
1 BIG CUP and 1 Cupeen so far....

GetOverTheBar

• View Profile
« Reply #619 on: May 13, 2020, 02:42:16 PM »
Canít turn around in a year and say right no vaccine letís all get back to playing after saying about no play until social distancing ends. Social distancing will be here until a vaccine is found end of story.

'course you can.

If someone discovers an easily administered treatment therapy that reduces case mortality to <0.001% then you'll see changes very quickly.

Medical opinion is pretty unanimous that a working vaccine won't be available until the end of the year. I take anything else I hear as fake news. E
When when a vaccine is discovered, all hell will break loose as the vaccine will not be made available to all - the rich and powerful nations will head the queue and the rest of us can go suck the hind tit.
I agree with Larry that until  a vaccine is found, and freely availabe, safe distancing will be with us.

In fairness he said treatment not vaccine. There are some drugs out there currently used to treat other things that are being tested as a treatment against covid 19. They have already been clinically trialled sonar safe to use. IF one of those could fight the virus it would be a game changer and it should come before a vaccine. A number are currently being tested.
Fair point, Itchy but for all practical purposes, a vaccine is needed. One can experiment with other drugs/treatments thast may slow the progress of the virus or boost peoples' immune systems or whatever, but nothing, ASAIK, will stop the virus in its tracks except a working vaccine, which has still to be created.
Incidentally, I am one of the unlucky ones who contracted the bastard. I wonder if any/many Gaaboard members fell foul of it also. I was cat lucky because I am over 70 and have a serious underlying health problem (kidney failure) so that was a double whammy. However, although I was hospitalised in a bad way, I pepped up and was released 4 days later.

Best wishes on your recovery sir.

Rossfan

• Ballaghaderreen CO ROSCOMMON
    • View Profile
    • Roscommon County Board official website
1 BIG CUP and 1 Cupeen so far....

Itchy

• View Profile
« Reply #621 on: May 13, 2020, 03:52:12 PM »

'course you can.

Glad to hear you made a recovery. Agreed the holy grail is a vaccine. However when you consider the challenge in front of government (and they have to be quite cold about it) they need to balance opening back up normal life versus risk of death. Would "treatments" that reduce death rate from 4% to 1% (made up numbers) be ok verus getting businesses and sports and whatever running again. I cant answer that. Obviously in this made up scenario, we'd all prefer 1% to be 0%. If 1% is not ok then what number is, obviously zero is best but zero probably requires a vacine.

Hound

• View Profile
« Reply #622 on: May 13, 2020, 05:05:56 PM »
There's an argument that under 40s should be let play away (and work away for that matter). The number of deaths in this age group from Covid is tiny and almost all with an underlying condition. So as much chance of dying from a sudden heart attack as Covid-19.

Obviously there'd need to be common sense, nobody with even a cold should be playing or attending games. People who have asthma or who are obese should stay away too, but I think a coherent case could be made to allow the healthy U40s try and get back to normal. (I'm over 40 by the way so should be kept under current lockdown measures for a little while longer!)

Totally missing the point. the less than 40 year old can get infected, can take up a hospital bed, can put strain on our hospital and front line workers, can infect their work colleagues, can spread disease to the vulnerable and yet as you say only a tiny amount of them will die.

Very very few healthy under 40s need hospitalisation when they catch Covid-19.

There'll always be risk. And if going out to do groceries and take exercise is acceptable risk to society, then letting healthy under 40s play ball is increasing that risk by a tiny amount compared to the benefits it will have.

Smurfy123

• View Profile
« Reply #623 on: May 13, 2020, 05:23:39 PM »
Exactly hound
Regardless of what you do in life it will always have a risk attached
You may break your leg on a pitch but not likely
You may catch the virus on the pitch and likely not to die

five points

• View Profile
« Reply #624 on: May 13, 2020, 05:34:26 PM »
There's an argument that under 40s should be let play away (and work away for that matter). The number of deaths in this age group from Covid is tiny and almost all with an underlying condition. So as much chance of dying from a sudden heart attack as Covid-19.

Obviously there'd need to be common sense, nobody with even a cold should be playing or attending games. People who have asthma or who are obese should stay away too, but I think a coherent case could be made to allow the healthy U40s try and get back to normal. (I'm over 40 by the way so should be kept under current lockdown measures for a little while longer!)

Totally missing the point. the less than 40 year old can get infected, can take up a hospital bed, can put strain on our hospital and front line workers, can infect their work colleagues, can spread disease to the vulnerable and yet as you say only a tiny amount of them will die.

And, the under 40s who are sufficiently fit and able to play competitive team sport won't be the same as the under 40s who are likely to fall seriously ill if they catch a virus.

trueblue1234

• View Profile
« Reply #625 on: May 14, 2020, 10:39:09 AM »

That's the reserve leagues f**ked then.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

magpie seanie

• View Profile
« Reply #626 on: May 14, 2020, 10:59:46 AM »

There'll always be risk. And if going out to do groceries and take exercise is acceptable risk to society, then letting healthy under 40s play ball is increasing that risk by a tiny amount compared to the benefits it will have.

Getting food and taking some exercise alone/with your household are essential for physical and mental well being. Much and all as we love it, playing gaelic games are not. I don't understand why this is so hard to comprehend for people.

magpie seanie

• View Profile
« Reply #627 on: May 14, 2020, 11:01:08 AM »
Lar - sorry to hear you contracted Covid19. Delighted you're recovering well. Take care.

Itchy

• View Profile
« Reply #628 on: May 14, 2020, 11:37:19 AM »

You can do groceries and maintain 2m social distance and good hygiene. You cannot play a game of football and do either. Why are you intentionally making comparisons that are just simply ridiculous. The under 40 will likely be unaffected, what about the people this under 40 comes in contact with or are they just collateral damage?

Ed Ricketts

• View Profile
« Reply #629 on: May 14, 2020, 12:21:10 PM »
The lockdown has never been about protecting young, healthy people from the virus. Where has that idea come from? Why are people arguing against this straw man?

It's about stopping young, healthy people (and everyone else) being a conduit for virus to not so young and not so healthy people.

Inherent in the argument that young, healthy people don't die, and should therefore be allowed to play away, is the notion that old and sick people should die so that this can happen. That's reprehensible.