GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sam03/05

So what exactly is the rule on Covid outbreak
I know that Horan recently said that if a county has a case week of championship game
Then they are out
Is this still the case?
Fair chance that Dublin won't be winning Leicester or AI if that's the case

sid waddell

Quote from: sam03/05 on September 19, 2020, 07:04:15 PM
I know that Horan recently said that if a county has a case week of championship game
Then they are out
Is this still the case?
I'd accept that if it meant I'd get to see Philly McMahon poleaxing Jamie Vardy

armaghniac

Quote from: sam03/05 on September 19, 2020, 07:04:15 PM
Then they are out
Is this still the case?

Sure Dublin would probably keep two teams in training, completely separate, just in case.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

Not much sign of social distancing among spectators i bPáirc na nGael tonight :-\
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

imtommygunn

It wasn't that bad I thought.

I still think any stand should have seats cordoned off so there has to be a gap mind you.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: BennyCake on September 19, 2020, 02:41:24 PM
Heard recently that in soccer (might be when some fans are allowed in), if the ball is thrown back over the hoardings, the ball has to be cleansed before it's used in the match. Sounds sensible enough given the current situation.

Lots of fans have thrown the ball back at a player during a GAA game and play continues. Similar to the microphone thing.

Balls are left on cones around the pitch and the throw in or kickout must be one of those balls. Any ball that leaves the pitch area is cleaned before going on a cone. Ball boys are gone

BennyCake

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on September 20, 2020, 03:09:26 PM
Heard recently that in soccer (might be when some fans are allowed in), if the ball is thrown back over the hoardings, the ball has to be cleansed before it's used in the match. Sounds sensible enough given the current situation.

Lots of fans have thrown the ball back at a player during a GAA game and play continues. Similar to the microphone thing.

Balls are left on cones around the pitch and the throw in or kickout must be one of those balls. Any ball that leaves the pitch area is cleaned before going on a cone. Ball boys are gone

That's not happening with matches I've seen.

Itchy

If Dublin is in stage 3 when their leinster championship game comes around what happens then?

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: BennyCake on September 20, 2020, 03:17:50 PM

Professional games, it absolutely is

BennyCake

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on September 20, 2020, 08:07:50 PM

Oh aye yeah, but not in GAA matches.

imtommygunn

Every player on the pitch is handling the ball and there's no testing for them so they are as susceptible as anyone in a crowd. All the pro players are tested regularly so it's not exactly like for like.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: BennyCake on September 20, 2020, 08:11:17 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on September 20, 2020, 08:07:50 PM

Oh aye yeah, but not in GAA matches.
Gotcha.

Its not a big thing but does feed into the idea the GAA simply isn't making the effort others are

BennyCake

It's not even that, BB2.

If I'm sat in the front row, properly socially distancing and all that. Staying away from other people, disinfected my hands, etc etc. The ball lands beside me, and I pick it up and chuck it back to the player for the sideline, I may as well have shaken hands with all the players.

OK I'm overthinking things, but really, that's the reality. Not only that, but I risk passing the virus on to every player by picking up that ball.

supersub

Quote from: BennyCake on September 20, 2020, 11:04:42 PM
It's not even that, BB2.

If I'm sat in the front row, properly socially distancing and all that. Staying away from other people, disinfected my hands, etc etc. The ball lands beside me, and I pick it up and chuck it back to the player for the sideline, I may as well have shaken hands with all the players.

OK I'm overthinking things, but really, that's the reality. Not only that, but I risk passing the virus on to every player by picking up that ball.

To be honest, if you are thinking about things that much you shouldn't be going to games full stop.

Just don't touch the ball. Pretty simple.

thewobbler

Quote from: BennyCake on September 20, 2020, 11:04:42 PM
It's not even that, BB2.

overthinking things?

Concentrate on the reality of an scenario whereby a piece of leather in an outdoors environment, bounces without a plausibly recognisable pattern between hands, gloves, feet and surface, constantly  enduring impacts and motions that prevent it from retaining external matter.

Then consider whether human beings could realistically have evolved to our current state in an environment in which a process as ephemeral as this has potential to transmit a lethal virus

Then relax.