Congratulations to Meath on their decision not to appeal Farrells red card.

Started by DUBSFORSAM1, May 22, 2007, 11:37:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DUBSFORSAM1

As a Dublin fan who is normally not very complimentary to Meath football can I just say that I have to admire your standpoint on the Brian Farrell issue. It is good to see that counties are prepared to accept the rules of the GAA and get on with things rather than appeal on techinicalities etc...

All I can say that along with Mullane's decision a few years ago that this is the approach that should be taken..........and I hope if the situation arises with a Dublin player that they take the same mature approach.

PS - In case anyone interprets it differently I would prefer he played for Meath as if Dublin are going to go on to the All-ireland final we need to be properly tested in tough close physical games all the way unlike last year....

Hardy

Fair play, Dubsforsam. Of course it's sad that this should merit comment at all, since it should be the norm.

Here's an opportunity for GAA journalists to do something positive for the game, by giving this as much publicity as the high-profile appeals of recent times. Positive propaganda like that makes it just that little bit more difficult for others to have the neck to appeal when they shouldn't.

(Edit - with apologies to Phoenix):

Of course, you heard how it went:

Farrell - "Are we appealing?"
Coyle: "Do we look f****n appealing?"

cavan4ever

Whats the back slapping about he got sent off and will get suspened thats the rules.

DUBSFORSAM1

Cavan4ever

Its the fact that unlike most counties especially before a big match they have come out and said he deserved to be sent off and we won't be appealing....as was said by Hardy its a sad state of affairs that something like this should be applauded rather than just be accepted as the norm...

Longfordian

Just a point on your last statement Dubsforsam ....would you not have rated getting out of Pearse Park by the skin of your teeth as being properly tested last year !

By I agree with you on Meath not appealing the red card ...too many teams are at it .... (including oursleves!)....but if counties see other counties getting red card recinded then you can t blame them trying to field their strongest possible team

DUBSFORSAM1

Longfordian

Yes I do think that was being properly tested - however my point was that we needed it in every game and unfortunately it didn't happen.....

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

DUBSFORSAM1

Jinxy - I really hope you do.....the ideal is a very tough physical hard hitting but fair battle that goes to the wire and Dublin win by a point.....with the same happening the next day and the next day etc....

Billys Boots

DFS, did Mayo not win three of their games by a point on last year's odyssey - f*ck all good it did them.   ;)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Gnevin

Quote from: Billys Boots on May 22, 2007, 12:30:52 PM
DFS, did Mayo not win three of their games by a point on last year's odyssey - f*ck all good it did them.   ;)
Mayo won their final . The game after was an after thought

Fair play to meath for respecting the rules .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Billys Boots

QuoteMayo won their final

You obviously haven't been listening to them since!   ;)

And, it's a poor day when we're congratulating a county for respecting the rules.  But yes, fair play Meath.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

passedit

I liked the bit where they spent their training week practicing for playing a man down. fairly prudent for a team managed by colm coyle i'd have thought. I'm reminded of the opening lines of porridge.

Norman Stanley Fletcher.... you are an habitual criminal who accepts arrest as an occupational hazard and presumably accepts imprisonment in the same casual manner..

;D
Don't Panic

Jinxy

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail. Still though, it was good of Kildare to deploy the spare man in their full back line when they were 9 points down. ???

Hardy

Jinxy, I'm with Colm O'Rourke on that one (the only pundit I've ever heard call this right - i.e. the only one who agrees with me!). The team with the extra man doesn't get to decide who their loose man is. That's decided by the opposition and who they choose to mark. That's why the spare man always ends up in the back line.

Jinxy

Well if enough of them stand in the opposition half they can't all be picked up!