GAA presidential election 2020

Started by Eamonnca1, February 26, 2020, 02:12:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

delgany

Were they not deferred to a special congress in September !

Smokin Joe

Motion 31:
This motion proposes that while a county shall be allowed to determine its own internal underage grades from U21 to U11, it must do so subject to Central Council policy.
It is passed with 68% voting for it.

Rossfan

Probably time for a new thread.
Jarlath and Pat Teehan of Offaly declared interest in running for 2023 Congress..
Time for a Connacht President!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Wildweasel74

I thought Burns should been in place the last time so hopefully now, needs look at Gaa displince rules. I thought Larry Mccarthy was a total passenger.

AustinPowers

I doubt Jarlath  is as well connected or has enough millionaire chums to become president.

Let's face it,  that's why Big Larry is there

Saul goodman

Quote from: AustinPowers on November 01, 2022, 08:39:10 PM
I doubt Jarlath  is as well connected or has enough millionaire chums to become president.

I have no idea on how the election of President works- I would assume there will be some anti-northern bias and a lot of people greasing palms of others

Itchy

Quote from: Saul goodman on November 01, 2022, 10:37:56 PM
Quote from: AustinPowers on November 01, 2022, 08:39:10 PM

I have no idea on how the election of President works- I would assume there will be some anti-northern bias and a lot of people greasing palms of others

President before was a school teacher from Cavan, hardly rubbing shoulders with millionaires. He was a shite president but the idea that the process is corrupt or has anti northern bias is complete horse shite

thewobbler

No northern bias.

Like everything that requires a vote, there's ways and means to secure the deal. My completely unsubstantiated guess is that Jarlath didn't do a whole pile of canvassing last time out - relying instead on his profile, and his largely impeccable credentials - whereas Larry probably phoned or met every last person who might have a vote, promising whatever he could in return.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on November 01, 2022, 06:53:46 PM
I thought Burns should been in place the last time so hopefully now, needs look at Gaa displince rules. I thought Larry Mccarthy was a total passenger.

What real power does the presidential role carry?  Director General Tom Ryan is the main man in charge from what I see and was Páraic Duffy before him.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Wolfetones

Quote from: thewobbler on November 02, 2022, 12:26:49 AM
No northern bias.

Like everything that requires a vote, there's ways and means to secure the deal. My completely unsubstantiated guess is that Jarlath didn't do a whole pile of canvassing last time out - relying instead on his profile, and his largely impeccable credentials - whereas Larry probably phoned or met every last person who might have a vote, promising whatever he could in return.

You're correct that you're guessing. There was a lot of canvassing down by all candidates. It was the overseas vote and the Munster vote that carried the current incumbent to victory. The current President has been a lame duck since earlier this year and is probably the worst we've had in a long time.

Rossfan

Him and the Árd Stúirthóir have been virtually invisible since they both took Office.
I know Paraic Duffy was the other extreme always in the media and putting stuff out there.....but it would be nice to hear from the 2 lads occasionally or see an odd bit of leadership exhibited.
I think the last few Presidents have been 3 Munster, 3 Leinster, 1 Ulster no Connacht so must be time for a Western one.
I also think there have been only 4 or 5 Connacht Presidents since the foundation of the GAA.

shark

Quote from: Rossfan on November 02, 2022, 11:51:59 AM
Him and the Árd Stúirthóir have been virtually invisible since they both took Office.
I know Paraic Duffy was the other extreme always in the media and putting stuff out there.....but it would be nice to hear from the 2 lads occasionally or see an odd bit of leadership exhibited.
I think the last few Presidents have been 3 Munster, 3 Leinster, 1 Ulster no Connacht so must be time for a Western one.
I also think there have been only 4 or 5 Connacht Presidents since the foundation of the GAA.

Not sure it matter what province they are from. If I'm from Longford, then am I better off with a President from Wexford , compared to one from neighbouring Cavan or Roscommon? Or does it make a difference? I suspect it would make a difference if the President was from Longford though.
So maybe it's time for a President from Sligo or Leitrim , as they've never had one. Or maybe just put the best person in and who cares what county they are from.

pbat

We seem to be struggling with the quality of presidents lately. Jack Boothman and Peter Quinn were the last true visionaries.Men of honour with the association at thier heart.Joe Mc Donagh was a decent fella but went with the flow. The rest just forget about them, used the gaa for there own agendas and greed and that's why I feel the association is on a serious wrong path. 

Rossfan

Care to elaborate on what you see as the wrong path and what you think is the right path it should be on?

Wildweasel74

Haven't opened their mouth or given zero direction on all the violence in the Gaa and direction on how to handle it, the issues which have arise especially in the last year. I just thing the whole thing gone money orientated, all the money paid out by clubs and counties to teams where 1 team will win their championship, and 1 County team win a all- ireland, all that money going down the pan by clubs/counties who never reach that point. ,