Author Topic: Games on TV this weekend  (Read 7901 times)

BennyCake

• View Profile
Re: Games on TV this weekend
« Reply #105 on: May 13, 2020, 05:49:01 PM »
Many players get held back and dragged when the whistle has been long blown and they do retaliate and swing their arms back, they can have little complaint if they do get a red card but it happens but I'd say in the vast majority where there is no contact to a flailing arm then the referee just gets on with it.

That's just fact.

Could McMenamin have been sent off for this? Absolutely.
Was it a retaliatory action? Yes
Should McCann have also been yellow carded? Yes

When players are being held back and prevented from taking a quick free, it's natural reaction to swing your arms back to free yourself but one which players need to cognisant of that it could well and truly end up with them being given their marching orders.

Really it's a case where referees need to protect players who are the ones being provoked and this is a thing across the whole spectrum, sinners and sinned against.

Is it natural to do that though? Iím not sure it is.

A player who fouls an opponent, then holds on preventing a free being taken. If the ref stops play to book said player, he still achieves the stoppage as the free canít proceed until opponent is booked.

You do raise an interesting point though. A flailing arm has replaced a dig in the jaw, but I think itís still a striking action. Players always get away with it though, even if it connects with an opponent.

In the same way a forceful push/open hand strike to the neck/face has replaced a punch, as players also know theyíd get red for a punch, but they wonít get red for a push/open hand strike.

Iíve long said it, that we should follow soccers rule: any contact with the neck, face or head should be a straight red.

It is fairly common if players want to get on with the game they will want to free themselves and they will swing their arms back to do so.

Of course they have to be careful as doing so could get them sent off and as you said players will adapt and find other ways and means but I think referees certainly give players some leeway with this, if you connect though there is a good chance you'll get the line.

Refs give fouled players far too much leeway. Not even in terms of above, but also, how many times have attacking players kicked the ball against defender who canít get out of the way, to get 14 yards on a free? Or walk into a defender claiming they wonít let them take the free?

Angelo

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 13, 2020, 06:50:38 PM »
Many players get held back and dragged when the whistle has been long blown and they do retaliate and swing their arms back, they can have little complaint if they do get a red card but it happens but I'd say in the vast majority where there is no contact to a flailing arm then the referee just gets on with it.

That's just fact.

Could McMenamin have been sent off for this? Absolutely.
Was it a retaliatory action? Yes
Should McCann have also been yellow carded? Yes

When players are being held back and prevented from taking a quick free, it's natural reaction to swing your arms back to free yourself but one which players need to cognisant of that it could well and truly end up with them being given their marching orders.

Really it's a case where referees need to protect players who are the ones being provoked and this is a thing across the whole spectrum, sinners and sinned against.

Is it natural to do that though? Iím not sure it is.

A player who fouls an opponent, then holds on preventing a free being taken. If the ref stops play to book said player, he still achieves the stoppage as the free canít proceed until opponent is booked.

You do raise an interesting point though. A flailing arm has replaced a dig in the jaw, but I think itís still a striking action. Players always get away with it though, even if it connects with an opponent.

In the same way a forceful push/open hand strike to the neck/face has replaced a punch, as players also know theyíd get red for a punch, but they wonít get red for a push/open hand strike.

Iíve long said it, that we should follow soccers rule: any contact with the neck, face or head should be a straight red.

It is fairly common if players want to get on with the game they will want to free themselves and they will swing their arms back to do so.

Of course they have to be careful as doing so could get them sent off and as you said players will adapt and find other ways and means but I think referees certainly give players some leeway with this, if you connect though there is a good chance you'll get the line.

Refs give fouled players far too much leeway. Not even in terms of above, but also, how many times have attacking players kicked the ball against defender who canít get out of the way, to get 14 yards on a free? Or walk into a defender claiming they wonít let them take the free?

Plenty but GAA refs tend to be suckers who consistently fall for the same old tricks.

You'll have lads lad Maurice Deegan seeing this happen in front of his nose and fall for it and he'll then be able to spot fouls 70 yards away at the other end of the pitch.

tonto1888

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 13, 2020, 08:47:05 PM »
Angelo, as you are finding it hard to follow who said what I suggest you have a look at the conversation between you and Benny at replies 55-57. This is where it being during play and what not was brought up.
I have replies numbers 59 and 61. Read them
Ethan then come son at numbers 66 and 68. He also mentions during play and what not.

My next replies are 76 and 81. Read them. You reply at 82 saying I defended McGrane by saying it was during play, plenty of players tackle with a closed fist, it was mistimed. At this stage I havenít said anything of the sort. We exchange a few more messages 83-86. You double down on what you believe I said. We exchange more messages 95-96, 99, 101 and 103-104, during which we repeat the same thing. Go read through them and you will see you are mistaken. And itís ok to be mistaken. Itís even ok to admit it. If I had said those things I would stand by them as I would have believed them. I didnít say those things and nor do I think any of them can be used as an excuse or to defend McGrane. They arenít and they canít.
That said I still stand by my statement that you cannot say for certain that McGrane meant to do Jordan. Maybe he did. Probably he did even. But maybe he didnít. That doesnít matter and it was a red card offence and he should have got the line.
Hope that clears things up for you pal.
And yes, I am bored hahaha.

Angelo

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 13, 2020, 08:54:07 PM »
Ye all look the same to me.

;D

tonto1888

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 13, 2020, 09:12:46 PM »