China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Its here to stay and just another thing that has come into ours lives, we'll move on and and something else may impact our lives or kids lives in 40/50 years.

If someone doesn't take the vaccine, I'm not worried, its their choice, whether that's informed or through their own experience it really doesn't matter.

I'm tired of hearing all the crap on tv and radio, we can be cautious but positive and at the minute selling negative is a better sale.

The flu rate has dropped off and going forward every year would people change their mindset to keep that rate as it is, or just be happy enough to have those high rates and not sanitize?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trailer

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 23, 2021, 10:29:41 AM
Its here to stay and just another thing that has come into ours lives, we'll move on and and something else may impact our lives or kids lives in 40/50 years.

If someone doesn't take the vaccine, I'm not worried, its their choice, whether that's informed or through their own experience it really doesn't matter.

I'm tired of hearing all the crap on tv and radio, we can be cautious but positive and at the minute selling negative is a better sale.

The flu rate has dropped off and going forward every year would people change their mindset to keep that rate as it is, or just be happy enough to have those high rates and not sanitize?

There is a section of the community who cannot be vaccinated. So to protect them we all need to get vaccinated. The more healthy people who get vaccinated the better chance we have of beating it. If people think well I've already had Covid or I am not at risk then Covid will continue to circulate and we'll be back in and out of lockdowns. The virus will have a greater chance of mutating and you could be in a really tricky place. I keep reiterating the vaccine is about you per se it's about everyone and society as a whole. If you want some sort of chance at normal then everyone who can, should get vaccinated.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: HiMucker on February 23, 2021, 10:24:08 AM
Quote from: trailer on February 23, 2021, 10:14:11 AM
I'd imagine this vaccine will be a yearly thing. And if young people don't get it things like the night time economy will be closed again. The vaccine is the solution. We all need to get it and we need to hope it works effectively but we'll be dealing with Covid and different variants for a long time I'd imagine.

There's a whole discussion around vaccines but to hear some young people say they won't take it when they'd buy something dubious from a lad on street corner or even a pile of drink at the weekends is just stupid. Young people don't understand the lives that have been saved by vaccines. The older population can remember terrible diseases that are all but eradicated now. I would hope as the population is vaccinated they'll understand that there are few risks and that getting vaccinated is a right thing to do for society as a whole.
Thats it, boys in work here dubious about the vaccine while scuffing down a rustler burger ffs

I didn't like the tone today on Radio Foyle by the interviewer whilst touching on those who don't want the vaccine, it was a sniggering/belittling type attitude, I don't think you are saying that but people's position are varied on why they wont take it and in many cases their logic make perfect sense. I wouldn't want to lump everyone into the same group, again I don't think you or others are saying that either

I for one will not be taking any instruction from a lad on the street corner-I'm more confident in my judgement and intelligence than that, i'm 60/40 not for taking it atm.

sid waddell

Idiotic opinions deserve to be belittled

imtommygunn

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on February 23, 2021, 10:39:22 AM
I'd imagine this vaccine will be a yearly thing. And if young people don't get it things like the night time economy will be closed again. The vaccine is the solution. We all need to get it and we need to hope it works effectively but we'll be dealing with Covid and different variants for a long time I'd imagine.

There's a whole discussion around vaccines but to hear some young people say they won't take it when they'd buy something dubious from a lad on street corner or even a pile of drink at the weekends is just stupid. Young people don't understand the lives that have been saved by vaccines. The older population can remember terrible diseases that are all but eradicated now. I would hope as the population is vaccinated they'll understand that there are few risks and that getting vaccinated is a right thing to do for society as a whole.
Thats it, boys in work here dubious about the vaccine while scuffing down a rustler burger ffs

I didn't like the tone today on Radio Foyle by the interviewer whilst touching on those who don't want the vaccine, it was a sniggering/belittling type attitude, I don't think you are saying that but people's position are varied on why they wont take it and in many cases their logic make perfect sense. I wouldn't want to lump everyone into the same group, again I don't think you or others are saying that either

I for one will not be taking any instruction from a lad on the street corner-I'm more confident in my judgement and intelligence than that, i'm 60/40 not for taking it atm.

Out of interest - why so?

sid waddell

In the same way that we have trainspotters, planespotters and UFO spotters, we will surely soon have Moderna vaccine spotters

A lad I know swears he spotted one in Limerick last week, but I don't believe him

Louther

I'll have no issue taking it. I've a sister who said she isn't taking it and only reason she can offer is that it's too new and not tested enough. She in late 40s.

My fear would be that not enough take it and it mutates further and becomes more harmful in particular to children who seem relatively unharmed to date from the virus. If a variant becomes apparent that harms them before the vaccine is tested and applied to this age, then it wouldn't be worth trying to contemplate. I know it might be reaching but if someone explained the next 12 months to me this time last year, they'd have been laughed at.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Louther on February 23, 2021, 10:59:50 AM
I'll have no issue taking it. I've a sister who said she isn't taking it and only reason she can offer is that it's too new and not tested enough. She in late 40s.

My fear would be that not enough take it and it mutates further and becomes more harmful in particular to children who seem relatively unharmed to date from the virus. If a variant becomes apparent that harms them before the vaccine is tested and applied to this age, then it wouldn't be worth trying to contemplate. I know it might be reaching but if someone explained the next 12 months to me this time last year, they'd have been laughed at.

So what timeline is acceptable? 5 years 10 years? Is it studies and results from research that will 'inform' people of its possible benefits/negatives?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

Quote from: trailer on February 23, 2021, 10:35:55 AM
There is a section of the community who cannot be vaccinated. So to protect them we all need to get vaccinated. The more healthy people who get vaccinated the better chance we have of beating it. If people think well I've already had Covid or I am not at risk then Covid will continue to circulate and we'll be back in and out of lockdowns. The virus will have a greater chance of mutating and you could be in a really tricky place. I keep reiterating the vaccine is about you per se it's about everyone and society as a whole. If you want some sort of chance at normal then everyone who can, should get vaccinated.

The problem is that there is a freeloading problem. Provided that everyone else behaves responsibly then someone can have the benefit of the vaccine in terms of no need for restrictions etc without they themselves making any contribution to the effort. Public health arises from the actions of everyone and we need every to do their bit, but people see the opportunity to freeload on the efforts of others.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

thewobbler

The vaccine discussion tends to end up with pro-vaccine zealots smirking and nodding heads at each other after posting something along the lines of "same lad won't take the vaccine just ordered a mystery meat burger / line of coke / something heavily processed".

Would you wise to f**k up folks. Here's the basics: when you buy anything local or buy anything often, it's traceable. Not what's in it, so much as if there's any side effects. And if there's no known side effects, then what does it matter what's in it?

Stop acting like you're smarter and more considered about risk than anyone else. We are humans. We are all born with eyes, ears and noses, that allow us to risk detect what we digest.

——

I'll take the vaccination by the way. But why we would force/expect healthy people in their teens and twenties to take a vaccine for a virus that is basically a non threat to them, well that's just f**king wrong on every level.

Louther

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 23, 2021, 11:03:21 AM

So what timeline is acceptable? 5 years 10 years? Is it studies and results from research that will 'inform' people of its possible benefits/negatives?

I've no idea what would keep her or that way of thinking happy. The same one would have taken some "rubbish" over the years without a care in the world.

I think when it comes to it she could change her mind and stop reading 2 line medical opinions on Facebook  ::)

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 23, 2021, 10:46:13 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on February 23, 2021, 10:39:22 AM

Out of interest - why so?

Posted this earlier

I'm just thinking I've had COVID,im not in risk group, I sort of like thought of my own immune system doing the work and I do admit also to having some niggling doubts about vaccine itself. As I said undecided

sid waddell

1 in 7 students of secondary school age who get Covid develop symptoms consistent with long Covid

1 in 8 of primary school age

Source: Deepti Gurdasani, senior lecturer in epidemiology at Queen Mary University, London

The seemingly widespread dismissal by the gung ho "open it up ta fook" brigade of the notion that super lethal and/or vaccine-evasive variants could spread widely if restrictions are abolished is baffling

There's some sort of psychlogical inadequacy or denial condition going on there

sid waddell

Quote from: Louther on February 23, 2021, 11:08:18 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 23, 2021, 11:03:21 AM

I've no idea what would keep her or that way of thinking happy. The same one would have taken some "rubbish" over the years without a care in the world.

I think when it comes to it she could change her mind and stop reading 2 line medical opinions on Facebook  ::)
Question everything, except two line medical opinions from some randomer on Facebook

armaghniac

Quote from: thewobbler on February 23, 2021, 11:05:51 AM
I'll take the vaccination by the way. But why we would force/expect healthy people in their teens and twenties to take a vaccine for a virus that is basically a non threat to them, well that's just f**king wrong on every level.

Consideration of risk is fine, but that consideration has to to take into account the testing by thousands of medical researchers and public bodies all over the world. Society always asks us to do things, I am supposed to not cough over people but anything I cough out will not damage me so why should I worry about someone else? Likewise taxes are extracted from my income to pay for drug clinics, why should I pay for these since I do not take drugs? In both cases I benefit indirectly from other people not having Covid and not having druggies around the place and everyone benefits from vaccination as it gets rid of this disease and the measures needed to control it.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B