Author Topic: China Coronavirus  (Read 675295 times)

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

• View Profile
Re: China Coronavirus
« Reply #13635 on: February 23, 2021, 09:58:00 AM »
I wonder will we all be pushing for an "All-island" approach now

I think the vaccine has put to bed the notion of an all Island approach, when there was no vaccine it could be considered a viable option but when the north is around 33% of the adult population at least with one dose and the south is still in single figures it wouldn't make any sense to take an all island approach

the political spin from SF will be great to watch.

Down south itís that time where SF go notoriously quiet when there is talk of roadmaps, lockdown decisions, lifting or not lifting of restrictions etc. Theyíll take their position on top of the fence and wait until plans have been laid out, see what way the popular opinion is going and side with that. Theyíll also focus in on the small detail, looking for a hole and bring every argument back to that.

Heard Pearse Doherty, by far their best politician, on radio last week speaking about Ulster Bank situation. At end he was asked about Covid restrictions and his thoughts on roadmap - like reading from a script it was - we donít have all the data, follow public health guidance but we need an all Ireland approach which he talked about for a full minute.

Bluffers on the ditch

clarshack

• View Profile
« Reply #13636 on: February 23, 2021, 10:01:52 AM »
Saw earlier that there is something like 30% refuseniks who will not take a vaccine, thatís a lot of the population

Sure we know that, Angelo isnít taking it, but itís ok , if 70% take it that should give everyone cover

I think we'll see from 50 and under the numbers taking maybe sway off a bit for various reasons.

Without wanting to start a war on here, I can kind of see their point - it's hugely unlikely to cause any issues for them really but I worry about the knock on effect that will have on getting the show back on the road.

I'm in my late 20s, I'll take the vaccine if it gets life back to what it was pre pandemic (yes...i know it won't ever be the same....but you get my point). But I know many people my age who will not go near it. I hope as MTR says, 70% is enough.

It's always been about protecting the vulnerable though, hasn't it?

Anyone I know over 50 can't wait to get the vaccine whereas the people under 50 not so much.

trailer

• View Profile
« Reply #13637 on: February 23, 2021, 10:14:11 AM »
I'd imagine this vaccine will be a yearly thing. And if young people don't get it things like the night time economy will be closed again. The vaccine is the solution. We all need to get it and we need to hope it works effectively but we'll be dealing with Covid and different variants for a long time I'd imagine.

There's a whole discussion around vaccines but to hear some young people say they won't take it when they'd buy something dubious from a lad on street corner or even a pile of drink at the weekends is just stupid. Young people don't understand the lives that have been saved by vaccines. The older population can remember terrible diseases that are all but eradicated now. I would hope as the population is vaccinated they'll understand that there are few risks and that getting vaccinated is a right thing to do for society as a whole.

sid waddell

• View Profile
« Reply #13638 on: February 23, 2021, 10:20:48 AM »
I'd imagine this vaccine will be a yearly thing. And if young people don't get it things like the night time economy will be closed again. The vaccine is the solution. We all need to get it and we need to hope it works effectively but we'll be dealing with Covid and different variants for a long time I'd imagine.

There's a whole discussion around vaccines but to hear some young people say they won't take it when they'd buy something dubious from a lad on street corner or even a pile of drink at the weekends is just stupid. Young people don't understand the lives that have been saved by vaccines. The older population can remember terrible diseases that are all but eradicated now. I would hope as the population is vaccinated they'll understand that there are few risks and that getting vaccinated is a right thing to do for society as a whole.
This is the result of many years of right-wing (and to a much lesser extent dirtbag left) demagoguery in politics and media - a bizarre culture of total cynicism yet total gullibility

Who needs experts when you have some guy on YouTube

HiMucker

• View Profile
« Reply #13639 on: February 23, 2021, 10:24:08 AM »

Thats it, boys in work here dubious about the vaccine while scuffing down a rustler burger ffs

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13640 on: February 23, 2021, 10:29:41 AM »
Its here to stay and just another thing that has come into ours lives, we'll move on and and something else may impact our lives or kids lives in 40/50 years.

If someone doesn't take the vaccine, I'm not worried, its their choice, whether that's informed or through their own experience it really doesn't matter.

I'm tired of hearing all the crap on tv and radio, we can be cautious but positive and at the minute selling negative is a better sale.

The flu rate has dropped off and going forward every year would people change their mindset to keep that rate as it is, or just be happy enough to have those high rates and not sanitize?
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

trailer

• View Profile
« Reply #13641 on: February 23, 2021, 10:35:55 AM »
Its here to stay and just another thing that has come into ours lives, we'll move on and and something else may impact our lives or kids lives in 40/50 years.

If someone doesn't take the vaccine, I'm not worried, its their choice, whether that's informed or through their own experience it really doesn't matter.

I'm tired of hearing all the crap on tv and radio, we can be cautious but positive and at the minute selling negative is a better sale.

The flu rate has dropped off and going forward every year would people change their mindset to keep that rate as it is, or just be happy enough to have those high rates and not sanitize?

There is a section of the community who cannot be vaccinated. So to protect them we all need to get vaccinated. The more healthy people who get vaccinated the better chance we have of beating it. If people think well I've already had Covid or I am not at risk then Covid will continue to circulate and we'll be back in and out of lockdowns. The virus will have a greater chance of mutating and you could be in a really tricky place. I keep reiterating the vaccine is about you per se it's about everyone and society as a whole. If you want some sort of chance at normal then everyone who can, should get vaccinated.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

• View Profile
« Reply #13642 on: February 23, 2021, 10:39:22 AM »

Thats it, boys in work here dubious about the vaccine while scuffing down a rustler burger ffs

I didn't like the tone today on Radio Foyle by the interviewer whilst touching on those who don't want the vaccine, it was a sniggering/belittling type attitude, I don't think you are saying that but people's position are varied on why they wont take it and in many cases their logic make perfect sense. I wouldn't want to lump everyone into the same group, again I don't think you or others are saying that either

I for one will not be taking any instruction from a lad on the street corner-I'm more confident in my judgement and intelligence than that, i'm 60/40 not for taking it atm.

sid waddell

• View Profile
« Reply #13643 on: February 23, 2021, 10:41:04 AM »
Idiotic opinions deserve to be belittled

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #13644 on: February 23, 2021, 10:46:13 AM »

I didn't like the tone today on Radio Foyle by the interviewer whilst touching on those who don't want the vaccine, it was a sniggering/belittling type attitude, I don't think you are saying that but people's position are varied on why they wont take it and in many cases their logic make perfect sense. I wouldn't want to lump everyone into the same group, again I don't think you or others are saying that either

I for one will not be taking any instruction from a lad on the street corner-I'm more confident in my judgement and intelligence than that, i'm 60/40 not for taking it atm.

Out of interest - why so?

sid waddell

• View Profile
« Reply #13645 on: February 23, 2021, 10:59:11 AM »
In the same way that we have trainspotters, planespotters and UFO spotters, we will surely soon have Moderna vaccine spotters

A lad I know swears he spotted one in Limerick last week, but I don't believe him

Louther

• View Profile
« Reply #13646 on: February 23, 2021, 10:59:50 AM »
Iíll have no issue taking it. Iíve a sister who said she isnít taking it and only reason she can offer is that itís too new and not tested enough. She in late 40s.

My fear would be that not enough take it and it mutates further and becomes more harmful in particular to children who seem relatively unharmed to date from the virus. If a variant becomes apparent that harms them before the vaccine is tested and applied to this age, then it wouldnít be worth trying to contemplate. I know it might be reaching but if someone explained the next 12 months to me this time last year, theyíd have been laughed at.

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13647 on: February 23, 2021, 11:03:21 AM »
Iíll have no issue taking it. Iíve a sister who said she isnít taking it and only reason she can offer is that itís too new and not tested enough. She in late 40s.

My fear would be that not enough take it and it mutates further and becomes more harmful in particular to children who seem relatively unharmed to date from the virus. If a variant becomes apparent that harms them before the vaccine is tested and applied to this age, then it wouldnít be worth trying to contemplate. I know it might be reaching but if someone explained the next 12 months to me this time last year, theyíd have been laughed at.

So what timeline is acceptable? 5 years 10 years? Is it studies and results from research that will 'inform' people of its possible benefits/negatives?
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

armaghniac

• View Profile
« Reply #13648 on: February 23, 2021, 11:05:33 AM »
There is a section of the community who cannot be vaccinated. So to protect them we all need to get vaccinated. The more healthy people who get vaccinated the better chance we have of beating it. If people think well I've already had Covid or I am not at risk then Covid will continue to circulate and we'll be back in and out of lockdowns. The virus will have a greater chance of mutating and you could be in a really tricky place. I keep reiterating the vaccine is about you per se it's about everyone and society as a whole. If you want some sort of chance at normal then everyone who can, should get vaccinated.

The problem is that there is a freeloading problem. Provided that everyone else behaves responsibly then someone can have the benefit of the vaccine in terms of no need for restrictions etc without they themselves making any contribution to the effort. Public health arises from the actions of everyone and we need every to do their bit, but people see the opportunity to freeload on the efforts of others.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

thewobbler

• View Profile
    • Balllyholland Harps GAC
« Reply #13649 on: February 23, 2021, 11:05:51 AM »
The vaccine discussion tends to end up with pro-vaccine zealots smirking and nodding heads at each other after posting something along the lines of ďsame lad wonít take the vaccine just ordered a mystery meat burger / line of coke / something heavily processedĒ.

Would you wise to f**k up folks. Hereís the basics: when you buy anything local or buy anything often, itís traceable. Not whatís in it, so much as if thereís any side effects. And if thereís no known side effects, then what does it matter whatís in it?

Stop acting like youíre smarter and more considered about risk than anyone else. We are humans. We are all born with eyes, ears and noses, that allow us to risk detect what we digest.

óó

Iíll take the vaccination by the way. But why we would force/expect healthy people in their teens and twenties to take a vaccine for a virus that is basically a non threat to them, well thatís just f**king wrong on every level.