Author Topic: China Coronavirus  (Read 474855 times)

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
Re: China Coronavirus
« Reply #9000 on: October 18, 2020, 12:50:40 AM »
Life can be very long, short is 38, the age a very good club mate of mine that died recently. Angelo, you are full of shit and a reincarnation of the WUMís weíve had on here for years

See I donít think this is fair at all MR2. Iíve lost two very club mates at the same age in the past decade, from cancer. Covid might be dangerous, it might be topical, but it must not enjoy a monopoly on compassion.

One of Angeloís recurring points in the past 50 pages has been that Covid is trumping all other forms of essential care, and querying whether we will regret this move. Please donít now evolve this into Covid trumping all other forms of compassion.

Weíve all lost friends family during all periods none of which Iíd accept or just say, f**k it itís their time. The lack of empathy is embarrassing and if you are on the  same page then you also have issues.

Nothing trumps death, nothing. To trivialise it is wrong. If there is a way of combating it Iíll take that route. I wonít accept that itís my time
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

thewobbler

• View Profile
    • Balllyholland Harps GAC
« Reply #9001 on: October 18, 2020, 09:15:35 AM »
MR2 Iím not trivialising death nor is my empathy waning.

My point, perhaps poorly explained, is that every early death is a tragedy. Itís unfair on whoever you are debating with though to empty a highly personalised emotional death upon them, as if early death is a uniquely Covid tragedy.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 09:17:11 AM by thewobbler »

hardstation

• On a cold and misty morning on the Anagaire bridge
    • View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #9002 on: October 18, 2020, 09:23:10 AM »
I donít think the person milltown is talking about died of Covid.

thewobbler

• View Profile
« Reply #9003 on: October 18, 2020, 09:34:24 AM »
Sid just for the record I never described you as anti-GAA. Iíd described your stance of blaming the GAA for Covid rises as being anti-GAA (which is reminiscent of Poots this week), as when you step back and look at the big figures across Europe, Covid is rising similarly in both GAA strongholds and places where the game has never been seen.

Surely a man of your GAABoard experience could at least be savvy enough to read whatís written rather than latch onto something that wasnít said?

thewobbler

• View Profile
« Reply #9004 on: October 18, 2020, 09:46:59 AM »
PHP - hereís my understanding / interpretation of things. Covid began rising again once people started spending more time indoors once summer had passed. For example, while September in Portugal might be a balmy 18 degrees for an Irishman, itís a cold 18 degrees for a Portuguese, and they will migrate indoors.

Did summertime GAA matches where attendances were marginally exceeded and people from the samE community sat in close proximity for 90 minutes help spread the virus? Honestly, no. Because if that was the case, then Covid would have been everywhere all summer: outdoor  training, beer gardens, beaches, parks, promenades would  have ensured it.

Did post match celebrations help facilitate the spread of Covid? Absolutely no doubt at all. But the only way for the GAA to prevent this happening would have been to ban championship football, camogie and hurling outright. If you want to quibble with a GAA policy, I think itís here you should look.

óó

Young people started gathering indoors again extensively in September, in pubs and house parties. Thatís a key reason why the virus has spread again. This would have happened regardless of GAA finals. This is surely obvious by the likewise rises across Europe.

óó

Reopening schools has been a factor of N compared to the GAA in the spread of Covid. As was Eat Out to Help Out. But thatís an uncomfortable thought process for many to take.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 09:49:22 AM by thewobbler »

sid waddell

• View Profile
« Reply #9005 on: October 18, 2020, 09:53:24 AM »
Sid just for the record I never described you as anti-GAA. Iíd described your stance of blaming the GAA for Covid rises as being anti-GAA (which is reminiscent of Poots this week), as when you step back and look at the big figures across Europe, Covid is rising similarly in both GAA strongholds and places where the game has never been seen.

Surely a man of your GAABoard experience could at least be savvy enough to read whatís written rather than latch onto something that wasnít said?
But the attitude in the GAA over the last couple of months has been disgraceful, led from the very top, and summed up at local level by your reactions

An organisation which behaves in a way which encourages virus spread deserves to be heavily criticised for it

What you are doing is professional fogging and obfuscation on behalf of that organisation - running interference

You are saying that an organisation which has the capacity to act responsibly, but didn't, should not be criticised

It's unfortunate that clubs which it appears have behaved responsibly such as Charleville get tainted by association with the Blackrocks of this world

But this "we're not responsible" line has come from the top, so therefore it's not surprising that irresponsible behaviour has spread like dry rot throughout the organisation

Frankly, if we're in a similar position in 2021, club GAA has now proved beyond doubt that it should either not go ahead at all, or go ahead on a strictly non-competitive basis, with no championships or trophies awarded

Thanks again for the Edwin Poots comparison, it's unintentionally quite funny and just goes again to prove the point about your fake victimhood

Aybody who criticises the behaviour at GAA games is now Edwin Poots

That's not much of an argument, is it

PadraicHenryPearse

• View Profile
« Reply #9006 on: October 18, 2020, 10:21:21 AM »
PHP - hereís my understanding / interpretation of things. Covid began rising again once people started spending more time indoors once summer had passed. For example, while September in Portugal might be a balmy 18 degrees for an Irishman, itís a cold 18 degrees for a Portuguese, and they will migrate indoors.

Did summertime GAA matches where attendances were marginally exceeded and people from the samE community sat in close proximity for 90 minutes help spread the virus? Honestly, no. Because if that was the case, then Covid would have been everywhere all summer: outdoor  training, beer gardens, beaches, parks, promenades would  have ensured it.

Did post match celebrations help facilitate the spread of Covid? Absolutely no doubt at all. But the only way for the GAA to prevent this happening would have been to ban championship football, camogie and hurling outright. If you want to quibble with a GAA policy, I think itís here you should look.

óó

Young people started gathering indoors again extensively in September, in pubs and house parties. Thatís a key reason why the virus has spread again. This would have happened regardless of GAA finals. This is surely obvious by the likewise rises across Europe.

óó

Reopening schools has been a factor of N compared to the GAA in the spread of Covid. As was Eat Out to Help Out. But thatís an uncomfortable thought process for many to take.

wobbler i never associated all the breaches of the basic covid guidance with the increases if you read my post again.

im sure it contributed but there are many other reasons so blaming a single area is not a constructive thing to do.

my point was if the gaa, an organisation at the heart of most communities across the island didnt adhere to basic covid guidance, where is the hope for wider society who take there cues from the people closed to them normally..

in fact a point you made previously makes it worst, as you said other countries dont have the gaa and are seeing increases so we in ireland with the gaa were in a unique position for the GAA to drive home and lead by example with following basic covid guidance. IMO every level of the GAA failed in this aspect after such a bright start in March supporting vulnerable people with food delieveies etc.  It was massively disappointing when we needed grassroots leadership as we came out if the 1st lockdown, the Gaa failed.

Rossfan

• Ballaghaderreen CO ROSCOMMON
    • View Profile
    • Roscommon County Board official website
« Reply #9007 on: October 18, 2020, 11:10:58 AM »
If Johnny puts his finger in the fire do I have to follow suit?
If thick gobsh1tes sat on top of each other at matches do I also have to?
If GAA Co Boards made no effort to ensure/enforce Social distancing at matches did I also have to ignore it?

Remember it's not Governments or Doctors or Organisations who can prevent/reduce the spread of Covid.

It's YOU!!
Still Connacht Champions

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9008 on: October 18, 2020, 11:19:22 AM »
Sid do you believe the rising cases is down to the GAA? If you do then you can be put in the same bracket as Poots, if on the other hand you believe itís not helped the rise of cases alongside wet bars being opened, colleges reopened schools reopened other close contact services reopened then you are not the same as Poots.

All these factors, and forgetting whatís happening across the world, the Northís rise in case is down to the general public being complacent and not following simple guidelines.

The reason it spreads is because people are not social distancing they are not using sanitizer or washing hands. Even ones that have been in known contact with someone whoís been positive havenít isolated!

I was at club games in Antrim and what happened at the pitch and after the games was brilliant, what happened after they left the pitch becomes an individual decision to break the rules, the pubs that allowed it to happen broke the rules. If there was rule breaks at the ground then yes blame that county board, there are 32 county boards, how many broke guidelines?
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

PadraicHenryPearse

• View Profile
« Reply #9009 on: October 18, 2020, 11:28:26 AM »
If Johnny puts his finger in the fire do I have to follow suit?
If thick gobsh1tes sat on top of each other at matches do I also have to?
If GAA Co Boards made no effort to ensure/enforce Social distancing at matches did I also have to ignore it?

Remember it's not Governments or Doctors or Organisations who can prevent/reduce the spread of Covid.

It's YOU!!

i agree with all of that but people take there cues from what they see others do, especially those in authority etc. The GAA as an organisation were poor and didnt set a good example. As it is at the heart of most communities i think its attitude backed up peoples opinion who broke the rules at matches that it wasnt a big deal..

Blowitupref

• There will be at least 2 mins of additional time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9010 on: October 18, 2020, 11:34:07 AM »
Ireland is 211 on the 14th day incidence rate on the number of cases.

Spain 312.4
France 365.8
Netherlands 485.5
Belgium 637.6

I wonder who those countries point the finger of blame at for their high infection rates, hardly the GAA like here.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

PadraicHenryPearse

• View Profile
« Reply #9011 on: October 18, 2020, 11:37:06 AM »

Spain 312.4
France 365.8
Netherlands 485.5
Belgium 637.6

I wonder who those countries point the finger of blame at for their high infection rates, hardly the GAA like here.

who is solely blaming the gaa on here?

Blowitupref

• There will be at least 2 mins of additional time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9012 on: October 18, 2020, 11:42:45 AM »

Spain 312.4
France 365.8
Netherlands 485.5
Belgium 637.6

Here as the general public opinion from what I see on social media and from some journalists.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

sid waddell

• View Profile
« Reply #9013 on: October 18, 2020, 11:43:09 AM »
Sid do you believe the rising cases is down to the GAA? If you do then you can be put in the same bracket as Poots, if on the other hand you believe itís not helped the rise of cases alongside wet bars being opened, colleges reopened schools reopened other close contact services reopened then you are not the same as Poots.

All these factors, and forgetting whatís happening across the world, the Northís rise in case is down to the general public being complacent and not following simple guidelines.

The reason it spreads is because people are not social distancing they are not using sanitizer or washing hands. Even ones that have been in known contact with someone whoís been positive havenít isolated!

I was at club games in Antrim and what happened at the pitch and after the games was brilliant, what happened after they left the pitch becomes an individual decision to break the rules, the pubs that allowed it to happen broke the rules. If there was rule breaks at the ground then yes blame that county board, there are 32 county boards, how many broke guidelines?
The GAA is undoubtedly a contributor to increased spread

It helped to spread complacency in society as a whole, and that came right from the top and spread downwards through the organisation

In a similar way to how the Clifden golf jolly generated such anger - and rightly so - because it showed that people with high profile positions in politics and the judiciary believed there was one rule for them and one rule for others, the GAA, the most important civil society organisation in the country, cocked a snook at the regulations in a very public and high handed way

The GAA has a position of immense influence and authority in Irish society, a unique position actually, it permeates every parish in the country, one might say it is the glue that holds Irish society together

Therefore it had a special responsibility to publicly adhere to restrictions and be seen to fully behind them

It didn't do that, it took the piss

For the GAA, there was one rule for it and another for everybody else - and now, anybody who criticises the GAA is apparently Edwin Poots

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel and all that

Again, if we are still in this situation next year, there should be no club championships, no formal club competitions, no trophies, no more opportunities for more superspreading events

Just a series of non-competitive matches to keep fit and have a bit of fun, like Go Games

PadraicHenryPearse

• View Profile
« Reply #9014 on: October 18, 2020, 11:45:05 AM »

Spain 312.4
France 365.8
Netherlands 485.5
Belgium 637.6

Here as the general public opinion from what I see on social media and from some journalists.

ik, i read "here " as this board rather than what you actually meant which is general public.