Author Topic: China Coronavirus  (Read 474867 times)

Angelo

• View Profile
Re: China Coronavirus
« Reply #8970 on: October 17, 2020, 09:30:45 PM »
The lockdowns need to evolve as we learn. Ideally they donít exist but that is not going to be the case for a while. I donít fully agree with some aspects tbh but what can you do.

The average age of death etc shouldnít imo be the concern here. Health service burden, potential long term side effects and things like that should be. Basically there needs to be more understanding yet and long term heart and lung issues are a big concern independent of age.

The potential long term effects of lockdown and burdens they place on people and the economy are huge. People can become utterly consumer and obsessed about Covid that they cannot see the woods from the trees.

How long will it take us to see about long term heart and lung disease? A decade? Life is short and if we lived our life with this level of worry in every asepct we would probably never leave our house.

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #8971 on: October 17, 2020, 09:56:57 PM »
Theyíve already been seen. Theyíre long term in that the people who have them will have to live with them for the long term.

I donít live my life in fear but am privileged enough to be able to work from home. I wouldnít fancy working in a factory for example.

There is balance somewhere. While there are so many unknowns you need to err on the side of caution. Your suggestion doesnít have balance though. (Assuming it is let rip which it seems to be)

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8972 on: October 17, 2020, 10:10:57 PM »
Life can be very long, short is 38, the age a very good club mate of mine that died recently. Angelo, you are full of shit and a reincarnation of the WUMís weíve had on here for years
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

PadraicHenryPearse

• View Profile
« Reply #8973 on: October 17, 2020, 10:17:47 PM »
Theyíve already been seen. Theyíre long term in that the people who have them will have to live with them for the long term.

I donít live my life in fear but am privileged enough to be able to work from home. I wouldnít fancy working in a factory for example.

There is balance somewhere. While there are so many unknowns you need to err on the side of caution. Your suggestion doesnít have balance though. (Assuming it is let rip which it seems to be)

its inadvertently let it rip, as from what i can gather it is to do what we were doing pre the increase in numbers but expect a different outcome and if some 80+ yr old people die so be it, they had a good life., the rest of us can enjoy our lifes. Also dont worry about what happens if numbers increase to a level that hospitals cannot deal with.

armaghniac

• View Profile
« Reply #8974 on: October 17, 2020, 10:23:55 PM »
How long will it take us to see about long term heart and lung disease? A decade? Life is short and if we lived our life with this level of worry in every asepct we would probably never leave our house.

Yeah, like a dose of Covid does your heart or lungs any good.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

sid waddell

• View Profile
« Reply #8975 on: October 17, 2020, 10:31:23 PM »

its inadvertently let it rip, as from what i can gather it is to do what we were doing pre the increase in numbers but expect a different outcome and if some 80+ yr old people die so be it, they had a good life., the rest of us can enjoy our lifes. Also dont worry about what happens if numbers increase to a level that hospitals cannot deal with.
One of the most insidiously abhorrent aspects of the Covid deniers is the way they're attempting to portray themselves as being concerned with the well being of society when they're actually pushing an anarcho-capitalist, individualist, US right-wing libertarian view of the world which gives not one flying piece of excrement about society

A total lie, in other words

It's really gross

thewobbler

• View Profile
    • Balllyholland Harps GAC
« Reply #8976 on: October 17, 2020, 10:40:24 PM »
Life can be very long, short is 38, the age a very good club mate of mine that died recently. Angelo, you are full of shit and a reincarnation of the WUMís weíve had on here for years

See I donít think this is fair at all MR2. Iíve lost two very club mates at the same age in the past decade, from cancer. Covid might be dangerous, it might be topical, but it must not enjoy a monopoly on compassion.

One of Angeloís recurring points in the past 50 pages has been that Covid is trumping all other forms of essential care, and querying whether we will regret this move. Please donít now evolve this into Covid trumping all other forms of compassion.

thewobbler

• View Profile
« Reply #8977 on: October 17, 2020, 10:45:31 PM »

One of the most insidiously abhorrent aspects of the Covid deniers is the way they're attempting to portray themselves as being concerned with the well being of society when they're actually pushing an anarcho-capitalist, individualist, US right-wing libertarian view of the world which gives not one flying piece of excrement about society

It's really gross

Whatís also gross:

1. That you can only deal in extremes and will respond to queries and frustrations with government Covid policy, by labelling posters as Covid deniers.

2. That you canít just leave it at that, but you also have to add in a splurge of nonsensical bile about politics, even though political options in Ireland are remarkably centric.

3. That you feel the need to post this identical message every 2-3 days.

PadraicHenryPearse

• View Profile
« Reply #8978 on: October 17, 2020, 10:50:53 PM »

See I donít think this is fair at all MR2. Iíve lost two very club mates at the same age in the past decade, from cancer. Covid might be dangerous, it might be topical, but it must not enjoy a monopoly on compassion.

One of Angeloís recurring points in the past 50 pages has been that Covid is trumping all other forms of essential care, and querying whether we will regret this move. Please donít now evolve this into Covid trumping all other forms of compassion.

If that is one of his points then overloading the health system with covid cases because he wants people to live does not help people that need essential care it has the opposite effect.

thewobbler

• View Profile
« Reply #8979 on: October 17, 2020, 10:59:06 PM »

If that is one of his points then overloading the health system with covid cases because he wants people to live does not help people that need essential care it has the opposite effect.

No doubt.

Thatís the conundrum. But heís still not wrong to point out that there is a conundrum. Covid clearly has the potential to overstretch (and then some) the reactive purpose of a health service. But lockdowns have the potential to decimate the proactive care purpose of a health service.

Until thereís more data I do think we have to follow the current course, much as it frustrates me. Itís going to be a very interesting winter.

sid waddell

• View Profile
« Reply #8980 on: October 17, 2020, 11:00:22 PM »

It's really gross

Whatís also gross:

1. That you can only deal in extremes and will respond to queries and frustrations with government Covid policy, by labelling posters as Covid deniers.

2. That you canít just leave it at that, but you also have to add in a splurge of nonsensical bile about politics, even though political options in Ireland are remarkably centric.

3. That you feel the need to post this identical message every 2-3 days.
There's nothing extreme in what I said at all, it's the reality

You seem to hate reality being pointed out - which seems pretty extreme to me

Also you seem to be unable to deal in anything other than straw men

Speaking of straw men, one of your most noteworthy contributions to this thread was to portray the reduction in crowd sizes at sporting events as a bad faith attack on the GAA

That contribution didn't age well, did it?

Sadly that sort of stuff has been part of a rich tapestry where you are concerned

sid waddell

• View Profile
« Reply #8981 on: October 17, 2020, 11:04:05 PM »

So how would a large rise in Covid cases improve care for cancer patients?

Unless one thinks it would, there's literally no reason to make the point, and thus the point becomes bankrupt

PadraicHenryPearse

• View Profile
« Reply #8982 on: October 17, 2020, 11:04:51 PM »

No doubt.

Thatís the conundrum. But heís still not wrong to point out that there is a conundrum. Covid clearly has the potential to overstretch (and then some) the reactive purpose of a health service. But lockdowns have the potential to decimate the proactive care purpose of a health service.

Until thereís more data I do think we have to follow the current course, much as it frustrates me. Itís going to be a very interesting winter.

its not the lockdown that decimates the proactive care. the lockdowns are as a result of increases in people getting covid. the increases in the level of covid are the reason for the decimate proactive care not lockdowns, lockdowns are a result of incresased covid the same as decimated proactive care are.

thewobbler

• View Profile
« Reply #8983 on: October 17, 2020, 11:05:23 PM »
Sid if cases are rising all across Europe, which they are, you really should start asking yourself whether limiting crowds at outdoor venues for a sport which is only played in Ireland, is part of that pattern.

thewobbler

• View Profile
« Reply #8984 on: October 17, 2020, 11:07:26 PM »
Padraig itís a fair point - what I should have said itís that an emphasis on Covid that decimates the potential of proactive care.

Itís also fully understandable approach in the short term.