Author Topic: China Coronavirus  (Read 465739 times)

thewobbler

• View Profile
    • Balllyholland Harps GAC
Re: China Coronavirus
« Reply #8985 on: October 17, 2020, 11:10:38 PM »
Life can be very long, short is 38, the age a very good club mate of mine that died recently. Angelo, you are full of shit and a reincarnation of the WUMís weíve had on here for years

See I donít think this is fair at all MR2. Iíve lost two very club mates at the same age in the past decade, from cancer. Covid might be dangerous, it might be topical, but it must not enjoy a monopoly on compassion.

One of Angeloís recurring points in the past 50 pages has been that Covid is trumping all other forms of essential care, and querying whether we will regret this move. Please donít now evolve this into Covid trumping all other forms of compassion.
So how would a large rise in Covid cases improve care for cancer patients?

Unless one thinks it would, there's literally no reason to make the point, and thus the point becomes bankrupt

At no point have I suggested it would.

I did point out that healthcare currently has a conundrum. I also suggested that I agree with the current policy even if it frustrates me.

But I guess youíre out looking for a fight. Thatís what you do.

sid waddell

• View Profile
« Reply #8986 on: October 17, 2020, 11:13:42 PM »
Sid if cases are rising all across Europe, which they are, you really should start asking yourself whether limiting crowds at outdoor venues for a sport which is only played in Ireland, is part of that pattern.
Go back to the point

You portrayed the reduction in crowd sizes as a bad faith attack on the GAA

Crowds at GAA matches as well as celebrations have contributed, and likely quite significantly, to the spread of Covid

You were simply wrong in what you said - it was not a bad faith attack on the GAA at all but one element of a good faith attempt to try and stop the spread of the virus - but your attack was an obvious bad faith character assassination on the part of those making the regulations

It is in fact the GAA which has contributed to a bad faith attack on society by continually cocking two fingers at the effort to stop the spread of the virus

An organisation which is supposed to be about community well being decided it didn't care not just about the well being of the country, but of the very local communities its supposed to represent

And, sadly, neanderthal attitudes like yours were front and centre in that

thewobbler

• View Profile
« Reply #8987 on: October 17, 2020, 11:17:20 PM »
By the way Sid. In case you deliberately missed it. When I described you as dealing in extremes, it is in how you label anyone querying government policy on Covid as a ďCovid denierĒ. Thatís extremism of the most extreme form. Basically you contort anyone raising an eyebrow to your viewpoint into being on your right, and therefore a right wing fascist murdering **** who hates people, and can only feel like this because theyíve been duped by some websites only youíve ever heard of.

Youíre an extremist buddy. Property extreme.

thewobbler

• View Profile
« Reply #8988 on: October 17, 2020, 11:22:42 PM »
Sid if cases are rising all across Europe, which they are, you really should start asking yourself whether limiting crowds at outdoor venues for a sport which is only played in Ireland, is part of that pattern.
Go back to the point

Crowds at GAA matches as well as celebrations have contributed, and likely quite significantly, to the spread of Covid

You were simply wrong in what you said - it was not a bad faith attack on the GAA at all but one element of a good faith attempt to try and stop the spread of the virus - but your attack was an obvious bad faith character assassination on the part of those making the regulations

It is in fact the GAA which has contributed to a bad faith attack on society by continually cocking two fingers at the effort to stop the spread of the virus

An organisation which is supposed to be about community well being decided it didn't care not just about the well being of the country, but of the very local communities its supposed to represent

Sid Iím entirely on point.

Covid cases are rising across Europe. Everywhere. The pattern youíll find is that humans are social creatures, and will go out of their way to meet each other. The pattern you wonít find is that places where attendance at outdoor sporting venues was strictly limited to 200 people, have kept it under control.

Only one of us is dealing in ďit is in factĒ.

The other has a narrative to fulfil.

sid waddell

• View Profile
« Reply #8989 on: October 17, 2020, 11:23:31 PM »
Life can be very long, short is 38, the age a very good club mate of mine that died recently. Angelo, you are full of shit and a reincarnation of the WUMís weíve had on here for years

See I donít think this is fair at all MR2. Iíve lost two very club mates at the same age in the past decade, from cancer. Covid might be dangerous, it might be topical, but it must not enjoy a monopoly on compassion.

One of Angeloís recurring points in the past 50 pages has been that Covid is trumping all other forms of essential care, and querying whether we will regret this move. Please donít now evolve this into Covid trumping all other forms of compassion.
So how would a large rise in Covid cases improve care for cancer patients?

Unless one thinks it would, there's literally no reason to make the point, and thus the point becomes bankrupt

At no point have I suggested it would.

I did point out that healthcare currently has a conundrum. I also suggested that I agree with the current policy even if it frustrates me.

But I guess youíre out looking for a fight. Thatís what you do.

By mentioning the "point" as a serious one worthy of respect, there is a logical implication there that one should at least consider the possibility that cancer patients or patients suffering from other non-Covid medical problems would get better care in a situation where Covid spread continues to increase

But there is no possibility of that happening - if Covid spread continues to increase, it is all but certain that care for those patients will be worse

Therefore there is no reason to mention a ludicrous point as being something being worthy of consideration

Because the point is self-evidently ludicrous and not worthy of discussion

sid waddell

• View Profile
« Reply #8990 on: October 17, 2020, 11:33:00 PM »
Go back to the point

Covid cases are rising across Europe. Everywhere. The pattern youíll find is that humans are social creatures, and will go out of their way to meet each other. The pattern you wonít find is that places where attendance at outdoor sporting venues was strictly limited to 200 people, have kept it under control.

Humans are indeed social creatures, but the more close social contact there is during this pandemic, the more the virus will spread

The pattern you'll find is that the more people avoid close social contact, the less the virus has the potential to spread

That's a fact, not narrative

But what else is portraying a reduction in crowd size as "an attack on the GAA" other than a bullshit narrative

What you were engaging in was Covid NIMBYism

You should take up this point about us being social creatures with the virus itself, maybe it'll listen and make an exception where it won't spread during club GAA games and celebrations, a sort of a ceasefire, maybe a bit like those three day IRA ceasefires at Christmas back in the day

thewobbler

• View Profile
« Reply #8991 on: October 17, 2020, 11:35:05 PM »
Do you really find it ludicrous to consider that a health service might retain a provision for breast and prostate cancer screening, during a pandemic?

Is a health service really a single homogenous entity that should focus solely on one problem at a time?

thewobbler

• View Profile
« Reply #8992 on: October 17, 2020, 11:41:02 PM »
Go back to the point

Humans are indeed social creatures, but the more close social contact there is during this pandemic, the more the virus will spread

The pattern you'll find is that the more people avoid close social contact, the less the virus has the potential to spread

But what else is portraying a reduction in crowd size as "an attack on the GAA" other than a bullshit narrative

You should take up this point about us being social creatures with the virus itself, maybe it'll listen and make an exception where it won't spread during club GAA games and celebrations, a sort of a ceasefire, maybe a bit like those three day IRA ceasefires at Christmas back in the day

And once more I will attempt to explain this to you.

Covid is rising across Europe.

This because people have been meeting people across Europe.

Almost none (certainly I canít think of any) of these countries have coordinated community games on a level of frequency and structure as the GAA.

But you know what people do when associations donít provide facilities? They meet up anyway. In beaches, lakes, parks, pubs, restaurants, swimming pools, theme parks, shopping centres, schools, work, public buildings.

And the fucken thing spreads.

Did the GAA prevent the spread of Covid this year? No. Did it cause the spread of Covid this year, equally no.

sid waddell

• View Profile
« Reply #8993 on: October 17, 2020, 11:41:43 PM »
By the way Sid. In case you deliberately missed it. When I described you as dealing in extremes, it is in how you label anyone querying government policy on Covid as a ďCovid denierĒ. Thatís extremism of the most extreme form. Basically you contort anyone raising an eyebrow to your viewpoint into being on your right, and therefore a right wing fascist murdering **** who hates people, and can only feel like this because theyíve been duped by some websites only youíve ever heard of.

That's quite the post

One could almost say it's extremist in its desperate attempt to play the man, not the ball

Which is quite the irony given that it's a post which tries to set you up as doing the opposite

But I guess you just couldn't help yourself and lunged in, a bit like Richarlison today

sid waddell

• View Profile
« Reply #8994 on: October 17, 2020, 11:52:04 PM »
Go back to the point

Almost none (certainly I canít think of any) of these countries have coordinated community games on a level of frequency and structure as the GAA.

But you know what people do when associations donít provide facilities? They meet up anyway. In beaches, lakes, parks, pubs, restaurants, swimming pools, theme parks, shopping centres, schools, work, public buildings.

Did the GAA prevent the spread of Covid this year? No. Did it cause the spread of Covid this year, equally no.
I'm sure there must be a name for ultra-cynical debating techniques like this

That because the virus is contagious, we should therefore do nothing

Professional blurring, professional fogging, perhaps

The fact is that attitudes like yours, multiplied on a large scale, are what enable the spread

A tragedy of the commons I believe its called

Where individuals refuse to take responsibility and do everything to exercise their own personal NIMBYism

It's why humans find it so hard to fix collective problems

Because individualists like you will always find an excuse not to exercise personal responsibility

The mindset is that "ah, shure it'll spread anyway", and my individual behaviour will make no difference

But multiplied on a large scale, it makes all the difference

Ironically "personal responsibility" tends to be the mantra of individualists

Yet cold hard reality shows that individualists do not believe what they preach

« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 11:54:44 PM by sid waddell »

thewobbler

• View Profile
« Reply #8995 on: October 18, 2020, 12:15:45 AM »

That's quite the post

One could almost say it's extremist in its desperate attempt to play the man, not the ball

Which is quite the irony given that it's a post which tries to set you up as doing the opposite

But I guess you just couldn't help yourself and lunged in, a bit like Richarlison today

No I think youíll find that I moved this particular observation out on its own to allow me to clearly play the man, but separately.

Thereís no irony here. None. Thereís no lunge. Not even close. I havenít evaded a question and I never do.

But for reasons unknown to anyone but you, you emptied one of your paranoid anti-right wing tirades about 10 posts ago. There was no reason for it.

Iíve previously described you as an AI who has only a set number of phrases. Now Iím wondering if you have a nervous tic.

Something isnít quite right anyway. Your progression of every discussion from slight disagreement to labelling people as fascist brainwashed right wing lowlifes is both extraordinary and extraordinarily consistent.

thewobbler

• View Profile
« Reply #8996 on: October 18, 2020, 12:22:47 AM »
Go back to the point

The fact is that attitudes like yours, multiplied on a large scale, are what enable the spread

Where individuals refuse to take responsibility and do everything to exercise their own personal NIMBYism

Because individualists like you will always find an excuse not to exercise personal responsibility

The mindset is that "ah, shure it'll spread anyway", and my individual behaviour will make no difference

As for this. I donít really know where to go here. Youíve contrived me as someone with no personal responsibility. It couldnít be further from the truth. But you see fit to portray me this way because I donít see any harm in small crowds gathering in large outdoor venues.

More interesting is your anti-GAA rant a few posts ago, where you derived this one from. I shouldnít be surprised at this. Youíre an exceptionally political person. Even when politics has no place, you (like Edwin Poots) will try to find an angle. So youíve gone after an institution that didnít exactly follow your narrow view on handling Covid.

Take a breath man. The world isnít out to get you.

sid waddell

• View Profile
« Reply #8997 on: October 18, 2020, 12:30:31 AM »
Go back to the point

As for this. I donít really know where to go here. Youíve contrived me as someone with no personal responsibility. It couldnít be further from the truth. But you see fit to portray me this way because I donít see any harm in small crowds gathering in large outdoor venues.

More interesting is your anti-GAA rant a few posts ago, where you derived this one from. I shouldnít be surprised at this. Youíre an exceptionally political person. Even when politics has no place, you (like Edwin Poots) will try to find an angle. So youíve gone after an institution that didnít exactly follow your narrow view on handling Covid.

The world certainly isn't out to get me and never have I claimed anything remotely of the sort

Unlike you with your attempt to frame good faith restrictions on crowd sizes as an attack on the GAA and people like you

NIMBYism

In terms of personal responsibility, I don't have to mendaciously portray you as anything, I just let the facts speak for themselves

Edwin Poots has nothing to do with any of this, but sure fire away with your attempts to link me to him all you like, sure you might as well throw Jim Allister and maybe Jamie Bwyson in there too while you're at it

PadraicHenryPearse

• View Profile
« Reply #8998 on: October 18, 2020, 12:37:43 AM »
Go back to the point

not getting involved in whatever you and sid are at but
the GAA didnt follow basic guidelines not whatever sids narrow view on handling covid is..

From Croke pk to individual club members social distancing was not adhered to and numbers at matches was not adhered to. this was very clear in numerous televised matches, not accounting for social events linked to gaa matches. It is not anti GAA and the GAA have even acknowledged this. 

When an organisation and its members which is so central to so many people and communities across the island can not get it right what hope do we have of opening up again and not ending up back in the same position again.

sid waddell

• View Profile
« Reply #8999 on: October 18, 2020, 12:49:52 AM »
It's quite bizarre that somebody would attempt to portray somebody who has been posting on a GAA forum for nearly two decades (I well remember the glory days of Bummer and Tony Fearon and Hardyarse The Fiddler) as "anti-GAA"

But I suppose when somebody wants to manufacture a fake reality around their confirmation bias, it's hardly surprising