China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

Another bad week. Numbers for the ROI last 7 days.

Cases - 7495 (2985 more than last week)
Reported Deaths - 26 ( 9 more than last week and as ever a number of them didn't happen this month)

In hospital - 274 (73 more than last week)
In ICU - 33 (3 more than this time last week)

It's confirmed further restrictions will be applied to all of the ROI tomorrow. Remains to be seen if its Level 4 and a bit or level 5 and likely for at least the next 6 weeks.

sid waddell

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 18, 2020, 04:17:30 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on October 18, 2020, 12:10:32 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on October 18, 2020, 11:56:03 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on October 18, 2020, 11:43:09 AM
If we are still in this situation next year, there should be no club championships, no formal club competitions, no trophies, no more opportunities for more superspreading events

Just a series of non-competitive matches to keep fit and have a bit of fun, like Go Games

Club games without the competitive edge are a waste of time. Players can keep fit training and in the gym. In a situation like like many will be taking up other sports and won't be coming back to GAA when it returns to competitive action.
Why would they be a waste of time?

It's often said that club players just want to play, and the over emphasis on competition is frequently lamented on here

Playing non-competitive football is far more enjoyable than going to the gym

In fact it's often been said that the ultra-competitive nature of GAA games leads to a smaller playing population than there could or should be

This was the motivating factor behind the "Recreational GAA" idea some years ago which I think Diarmuid Marsden was involved in formulating

The strength of grass roots soccer is that there is a level for everybody

That isn't really the case in GAA

What a pile of shit Sid. You've obviously never been able to kick a ball or swing stick!!

Recreational hurling and football is and has been available for years in clubs, the thirds team is that team.

It's often said that players just want to play... said no GAA player ever
That's strange because the impression I get is that it's the dominant view

Club competitions lead to superspreading events because the club that wins usually can't or refuses to contain themselves afterwards

Society's right to be free of these superspreading events should trump GAA clubs' right to hold them

seafoid

Quote from: Cunny Funt on October 18, 2020, 06:05:20 PM
Another bad week. Numbers for the ROI last 7 days.

Cases - 7495 (2985 more than last week)
Reported Deaths - 26 ( 9 more than last week and as ever a number of them didn't happen this month)

In hospital - 274 (73 more than last week)
In ICU - 33 (3 more than this time last week)

It's confirmed further restrictions will be applied to all of the ROI tomorrow. Remains to be seen if its Level 4 and a bit or level 5 and likely for at least the next 6 weeks.
Deaths trail cases by 7-8 weeks
The big issue is compensating workers esp the low paid and self employed for the lockdowns that will be needed until the vaccine arrives.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Farrandeelin

Anybody know an approximate time the Irish government are going to give the guidelines for the next couple of weeks?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

laoislad

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 19, 2020, 08:53:20 AM
Anybody know an approximate time the Irish government are going to give the guidelines for the next couple of weeks?
Reckon around 6pm. Hopefully the schools are kept open 🙏
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: laoislad on October 19, 2020, 08:54:26 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 19, 2020, 08:53:20 AM
Reckon around 6pm. Hopefully the schools are kept open 🙏
Thanks. Can't see a full level 5, so I reckon the schools will stay open.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Franko

Quote from: Angelo on October 18, 2020, 01:38:21 PM
Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on October 18, 2020, 01:27:35 PM
Quote from: Angelo on October 18, 2020, 12:51:15 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 17, 2020, 10:10:57 PM
Life can be very long, short is 38, the age a very good club mate of mine that died recently. Angelo, you are full of shit and a reincarnation of the WUM's we've had on here for years

The narrative of what you said is that its ok for people who are young, fit and healthy to die providing its not from Covid?

There are huge negative consequences of lockdowns and restrictions, we saw rises in cases of domestic violence during the first lockdown, mental health issues are almost certain to become a bigger issue with it, the economic issues it brings, the threat to people's livelihoods, jobs, ability to provide for their families, the social isolation people who live alone or elderly people feel.

At what point do we focus on the above? At what point do we look at the latest data and trends being reported on covid, a plumetting fatality, rate, the underlying health conditions the vast majority of people who die from it have, the median and mean age of those who die and what their life expectancy would be.

Some of you are so entrenched into your thinking that you are completely unwilling to look at the big picture?

I could be petty like you and say that you guys are happy to see domestic violence and suicide rise because of what you are are advocating.

you have provided no alternative that does not lead to the same or similar issues, all you provided was the unrealistic hope that people adhere to the guidance which it is clear they have not and therefore will not do.

you keep repeating the same questions over and over again without saying how any alternative you are suggesting would address them.

no one is saying there are no socio-economic challenges with lockdowns, i dont think anyone wants a lockdown but in the absence of a credible alternative which you havent provided most people see it as neccessary.

how we stop the same thing happening after these restrictions/lockdown is what needs to be dentified. I dont k ow what they are though. i hope a gradual opening of the socio-economic enviroment and adherance to guidance would work but it clearly hasnt.

Neither have you.

The same negative economic and societal issues will return now during lockdown and will probably return a worse effect.

It's a trade off, the fatality of the virus has plummeted at double digit multiples. It is my view that the impacts of lockdown and excessive restrictions will have more negative consequences than what we had in place prior to this second wave on society as a whole.

There's a reason why a large group of people aren't complying now, they don't fear the virus. The first wave had resonance because we saw the images from Lombardy and Madrid, people had a genuine fear that this could shoot fit and healthy people down. The data tends to point at this risk being remote, probably as remote as the flu which we live with every single winter.

YOU proved this to be wrong YOURSELF a few days ago.  (If you want me to re-post it, I will - but it was an absolute redner moment for you, so I'm sure you remember)

The fact that you keep repeating it shows that you are either a wilful liar or dangerously stupid.

Any posts you make here should be read with this in mind.

Angelo

Quote from: Franko on October 19, 2020, 09:12:51 AM
Quote from: Angelo on October 18, 2020, 01:38:21 PM
Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on October 18, 2020, 01:27:35 PM
Quote from: Angelo on October 18, 2020, 12:51:15 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 17, 2020, 10:10:57 PM
Life can be very long, short is 38, the age a very good club mate of mine that died recently. Angelo, you are full of shit and a reincarnation of the WUM's we've had on here for years

The narrative of what you said is that its ok for people who are young, fit and healthy to die providing its not from Covid?

There are huge negative consequences of lockdowns and restrictions, we saw rises in cases of domestic violence during the first lockdown, mental health issues are almost certain to become a bigger issue with it, the economic issues it brings, the threat to people's livelihoods, jobs, ability to provide for their families, the social isolation people who live alone or elderly people feel.

At what point do we focus on the above? At what point do we look at the latest data and trends being reported on covid, a plumetting fatality, rate, the underlying health conditions the vast majority of people who die from it have, the median and mean age of those who die and what their life expectancy would be.

Some of you are so entrenched into your thinking that you are completely unwilling to look at the big picture?

I could be petty like you and say that you guys are happy to see domestic violence and suicide rise because of what you are are advocating.

you have provided no alternative that does not lead to the same or similar issues, all you provided was the unrealistic hope that people adhere to the guidance which it is clear they have not and therefore will not do.

you keep repeating the same questions over and over again without saying how any alternative you are suggesting would address them.

no one is saying there are no socio-economic challenges with lockdowns, i dont think anyone wants a lockdown but in the absence of a credible alternative which you havent provided most people see it as neccessary.

how we stop the same thing happening after these restrictions/lockdown is what needs to be dentified. I dont k ow what they are though. i hope a gradual opening of the socio-economic enviroment and adherance to guidance would work but it clearly hasnt.

Neither have you.

The same negative economic and societal issues will return now during lockdown and will probably return a worse effect.

It's a trade off, the fatality of the virus has plummeted at double digit multiples. It is my view that the impacts of lockdown and excessive restrictions will have more negative consequences than what we had in place prior to this second wave on society as a whole.

There's a reason why a large group of people aren't complying now, they don't fear the virus. The first wave had resonance because we saw the images from Lombardy and Madrid, people had a genuine fear that this could shoot fit and healthy people down. The data tends to point at this risk being remote, probably as remote as the flu which we live with every single winter.

YOU proved this to be wrong YOURSELF a few days ago.  (If you want me to re-post it, I will - but it was an absolute redner moment for you, so I'm sure you remember)

The fact that you keep repeating it shows that you are either a wilful liar or dangerously stupid.

Any posts you make here should be read with this in mind.

Incorrect. The fatality rates in the 2nd wave of Covid are currently much lower in the 26 than they were in the 2017/18 seasonal flu.

It will be interesting to see how they hold up. I think it was you who was making completely unfounded claims about a novel virus that you know nothing about. I can post that up to remind people that you shouldn't be listened to.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Angelo

Free State Active Cases - circa 25k
ICU admitted - 31
0.12% of cases in ICU

O6 Active Cases - circa 24k
ICU admitted 30
0.12% of cases in ICU

If those stats stabilise or decrease, is it really worth the negative consequences of lockdown and restrictions that a lot of posters seem to completely ignore? Is it worth an increase in domestic violence, potential suicides, job losses, business closures and other societal issues which are caused?

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Angelo on October 19, 2020, 09:24:49 AM
ICU admitted - 31
0.12% of cases in ICU

ICU admitted 30
0.12% of cases in ICU

If those stats stabilise or decrease, is it really worth the negative consequences of lockdown and restrictions that a lot of posters seem to completely ignore? Is it worth an increase in domestic violence, potential suicides, job losses, business closures and other societal issues which are caused?

If those figures are correct, no, it's not worth the consequences.

johnnycool

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on October 19, 2020, 09:36:30 AM
Quote from: Angelo on October 19, 2020, 09:24:49 AM
ICU admitted - 31
0.12% of cases in ICU

ICU admitted 30
0.12% of cases in ICU

If those figures are correct, no, it's not worth the consequences.

Depends if you're looking for a bed in the ICU or not.

GetOverTheBar

Going really simple on this one, the ICU bed situation is not really the result of a Covid problem, it's cut upon cut upon cut to the NHS over many years / decades. Nobody was prepared for something like this I suppose.

The simple answer is create more ICU units, is it not? But with regards to how long that would take / staff. I have no idea.

As previously pointed out, the Chinese threw a hospital up in days. It can be done, if they want to. There is still a host of Cuban doctors and nurses going around the world helping out in the hot spots, these people are there if they are truly wanted.

imtommygunn

Probably years - it's more the staffing than the logistics of beds etc. Even that nightingale thing is a mess. They're putting in staff who aren't qualified or experienced in ICU stuff and then just putting experienced staff in charge.

Angelo

Angelo

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on October 19, 2020, 09:51:37 AM
Going really simple on this one, the ICU bed situation is not really the result of a Covid problem, it's cut upon cut upon cut to the NHS over many years / decades. Nobody was prepared for something like this I suppose.

It's much easier to blame people for not complying when the nub of the issue is government policies for decades that leads to a dysfunctional health service.

People complied with the first lockdown to buy governments time to sort out the messes they had created, they wasted that time and I can't see the general public buying in as much this time, that is obvious.