Author Topic: China Coronavirus  (Read 417625 times)

Blowitupref

• There will be at least 2 mins of additional time
    • View Profile
Re: China Coronavirus
« Reply #7515 on: September 08, 2020, 06:01:35 PM »
307 cases in the Republic of today. 182 were from Dublin. They need to lock Dublin down.

190 of those 307 cases are from previous days. Dublin are getting closer to having restrictions applied.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

armaghniac

• View Profile
« Reply #7516 on: September 08, 2020, 06:03:21 PM »
307 cases in the Republic of today. 182 were from Dublin. They need to lock Dublin down.

It gives them a good case for not opening pubs in Dublin, but allowing those elsewhere open.
They have largely kept it out of the hospitals though, unlike NI.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Farrandeelin

• Hey buckaroo! How are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7517 on: September 09, 2020, 08:25:35 PM »
84 today, 51 in Dublin. The pubs will have to be held off opening in Dublin at least.
The woman in red has the car parked on the slope.

Rossfan

• Ballaghaderreen CO ROSCOMMON
    • View Profile
    • Roscommon County Board official website
« Reply #7518 on: September 09, 2020, 08:30:02 PM »
Would the majority of pubs in Dublin be foodie pubs?
Still Connacht Champions

GetOverTheBar

• View Profile
« Reply #7519 on: September 09, 2020, 08:59:01 PM »
This is a genuine question lads, what is the fascination with keeping bars closed?

It makes no difference to me, I don't drink personally. Everything seems to be keeping the bars closed. There is going to come a time when these people all get together and take a class action v The Govt for restriction of trade though surely? Is it fair these people are being ruined for something that, is in no way their fault? People are bending the restictions every which way now, its naive to suggest otherwise. Should they just be opened - give people more choice and as a result, spread out the concentration of those that are taking the piss at the moment?

highorlow

• View Profile
« Reply #7520 on: September 09, 2020, 10:57:23 PM »
I agree they should close McDonald’s and all the other fast food shit holes.

armaghniac

• View Profile
« Reply #7521 on: September 10, 2020, 01:29:32 AM »
I agree they should close McDonald’s and all the other fast food shit holes.

You may think this, but there is no evidence of a significant role for McDonalds in spreading Covid19.

Meanwhile Professor drops dead while giving Zoom lecture
https://www.thesun.ie/news/5868631/teacher-collapses-dies-coronavirus-zoom-lesson/
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 01:48:18 AM by armaghniac »

Eamonnca1

• Catching the world in my headlights of justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7522 on: September 10, 2020, 04:43:01 AM »
This is a genuine question lads, what is the fascination with keeping bars closed?

It makes no difference to me, I don't drink personally. Everything seems to be keeping the bars closed. There is going to come a time when these people all get together and take a class action v The Govt for restriction of trade though surely? Is it fair these people are being ruined for something that, is in no way their fault? People are bending the restictions every which way now, its naive to suggest otherwise. Should they just be opened - give people more choice and as a result, spread out the concentration of those that are taking the piss at the moment?

The vintners are welcome to sue the virus but I'm damned if I know how it's going to pay out any compensation in any settlement.

Hound

• View Profile
« Reply #7523 on: September 10, 2020, 01:09:00 PM »
The new regulations from Monday week seem to make a lot more sense, and it will be the end of ‘wet pubs’ being differentiated.

If you have 1m between tables then max stay is 1.45 and advance booking is required
If you have 2m between tables, then no advance booking and you can stay as long as you like (but name and number of one person per table has to be recorded).
Table service only, no sitting at bar and if you leave your table you must wear a mask.

If they do they decide to do a Dublin lockdown, I wonder will they split the county for these purposes (which i’d be all in favour of  ;D. )?  Prime Time this week suggested this was a possibility and that Dublin West has the highest numbers. Although “Dublin West” is probably not defined anywhere as it’s not one of the county council splits!

Rossfan

• Ballaghaderreen CO ROSCOMMON
    • View Profile
    • Roscommon County Board official website
« Reply #7524 on: September 10, 2020, 05:04:05 PM »
Use Eircodes.
Still Connacht Champions

Captain Obvious

• View Profile
« Reply #7525 on: September 10, 2020, 06:05:27 PM »
Localised Covid restrictions being introduced in Belfast and Ballymena to “push down on this rising curve of infection”

Cunny Funt

• View Profile
« Reply #7526 on: September 13, 2020, 05:49:43 PM »
Not a good week at all, back to early May figures.

Cases in the ROI this week - 1314 (393 more than last week)

Deaths reported - 8 (all deaths apparently happened recently)

armaghniac

• View Profile
« Reply #7527 on: September 13, 2020, 06:24:06 PM »
While you can make a case that the present numbers are tolerable, you can't have increasing numbers each week with running into problems down the line.with universities restarting in the next few weeks with at least some gathering it's looks like something will give.

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #7528 on: September 13, 2020, 07:36:24 PM »
While you can make a case that the present numbers are tolerable, you can't have increasing numbers each week with running into problems down the line.with universities restarting in the next few weeks with at least some gathering it's looks like something will give.
Numbers are going up everywhere as people spend more time indoors. France is pretty bad, for example.
The authorities will try to avoid national lockdowns but local restrictions will be used a lot
There was a good article in the FT about using quick and dirty tests

https://www.ft.com/content/059684da-b180-409b-865f-d7283c7407b3
"Imagine a quick-and-dirty test which takes five minutes to conduct, but produces a false positive rate of 10 per cent. Two hundred false positives might be flagged for every genuine case. That is disastrously high if we apply the current UK rules, in which the tested person and everyone in their household has to self-isolate for more than a week. But even the bad test produces some information: the person with a positive test is 10 times more likely to be infected than a randomly selected person.

So what about the following rule? If you take the test at the school gate and test positive, you must go home and try again tomorrow. If you take a positive test at the theatre entrance, you will need to leave and your ticket will be refunded. If you take it on arrival at Heathrow airport, you’ll have to do a more accurate swab test and isolate until results arrive. These are all irritating scenarios for the 200 out of 201 who do not actually have the virus. But they are not nearly as irritating as no school, no theatre, no flights and everyone back in lockdown by Christmas. Fast, cheap tests don’t need to be perfect to help contain the virus. They don’t even need to be nearly perfect. Cheap and quick is enough — provided we use the information wisely. We can’t shut down a school or an office block because one person tests positive on a ropey test: the risk of false positives is too great. But we can ask them to stay at home instead and book a more accurate test"
Lookit

Cunny Funt

• View Profile
« Reply #7529 on: September 13, 2020, 07:48:55 PM »

I can imagine more restrictions will be placed on Dublin, 784  cases they had this week alone.