Author Topic: China Coronavirus  (Read 424750 times)

highorlow

• View Profile
Re: China Coronavirus
« Reply #7080 on: August 02, 2020, 11:41:04 AM »
I am on holidays and after spending 4 days in Waterford and West Cork, where there was loads of social distancing and patience, now in Kenmare, shocking levels of complacency regarding social distancing and masks. I wouldn't be surprised if Kerry was hit with a spike in 2 weeks.

Just reading an article in the paper where St. Tropez is party central for the last few weeks with zero social distancing and zero mask wearing yet no ďspikeĒ just yet.

Good to see that France has no increase in hospitalisation over the last while either.

Swedenís economic statistics due out next week, they should make for an interesting debate whatever the outcome.

Itchy

• View Profile
« Reply #7081 on: August 02, 2020, 02:19:47 PM »
5 months in they need to reflect on why there is still a large outbreak in a factory and ensure that it is the last one.

Because one person gets it and itís spreads in a factory environment quicker.. you can put in all the measures you want but it canít always make it 100% safe.

I bet you Ä50 that all the required measures were not operated properly.

Don't think you can say that. Could worker's for example be sharing accommodation outside of work?

That might explain how someone got Covid, but not why it spread in the factory.

My point is you don't know it spread in the factory. Many meat factories employ cheap labour from Eastern Europe and elsewhere, I can think of one that is all Brazilian and another Pakistani. These minority groups live in very isolated pods in the towns. There is also the warm bed phenomenon where worker A does 12 hour shift and worker B comes home from his 12 hour shift and takes worker A bed.

I cant say whether the company in this case had good precautions but id find it incredible if they were ignoring covid. Where I work we are struggling with people behaviours at work. As lockdiwn has eased people are becoming complacent and when you turn your back not adhering to social distancing. We were thinking about using disciplinary process against those people but then we figured people would deny their close contacts  if they had it for fear of getting a warning. Factories and places of work do not have it easy in this thing.

The labour in meat factories isn't cheap, it's bloody hard work though, too hard for the locals. Majority of workers though are here to make money, they will reduce costs by living 6 to 8 in a 3 bedroom house. These guys depending on their skill level earn Ä10 to Ä20 an hour.

We will experience these random spikes but we need to learn and be better going forward.

I am on holidays and after spending 4 days in Waterford and West Cork, where there was loads of social distancing and patience, now in Kenmare, shocking levels of complacency regarding social distancing and masks. I wouldn't be surprised if Kerry was hit with a spike in 2 weeks.

Fair enough if not cheap, my point was that they are foreign workers primarily, as you say living in large numbers in their own pods. There is not much a factory can do to stop Covid if that is how their employees live when they finish work.

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #7082 on: August 02, 2020, 02:23:05 PM »

Just reading an article in the paper where St. Tropez is party central for the last few weeks with zero social distancing and zero mask wearing yet no ďspikeĒ just yet.

Good to see that France has no increase in hospitalisation over the last while either.

Swedenís economic statistics due out next week, they should make for an interesting debate whatever the outcome.

A spike will only happen if there is somebody in one of these gatherings to spread it so any large gathering may or may not spread things. The more people have of them the more likely they are though.

I would still suspect Swedenís economy will take a big enough hit as even without lockdown people are probably more paranoid.

Blowitupref

• There will be at least 2 mins of additional time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7083 on: August 02, 2020, 02:23:58 PM »
Is it true the recent rise in cases in Clare, Limerick came from a funeral?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

highorlow

• View Profile
« Reply #7084 on: August 02, 2020, 02:56:19 PM »
Some rich dude living in lahinch private jetted off to Portugal with 9 buddies and came back with it.

Cunny Funt

• View Profile
« Reply #7085 on: August 02, 2020, 06:20:08 PM »
Numbers for this week and not a good week with cluster outbreaks.

The numbers for the last week.

Deaths in the ROI = 1 ( 2 less than last week)
Cases this week = 286 ( 124 more cases than last week)

Important week ahead to make sure all clusters are under control and we get cut the weekly number of cases in half

Capt Pat

• View Profile
« Reply #7086 on: August 02, 2020, 07:51:24 PM »
The numbers are really taking off again. It looks like it will be back to some type of stricter lockdown again. I can't beleive they had people back in the shops and on public transport without initially forcing them to wear masks.

Cunny Funt

• View Profile
« Reply #7087 on: August 02, 2020, 08:24:02 PM »
The numbers are really taking off again. It looks like it will be back to some type of stricter lockdown again. I can't beleive they had people back in the shops and on public transport without initially forcing them to wear masks.

To be fair the numbers haven't increased because of non wearing of masks in shops. Public transport has mandatory mask wearing for a few weeks now.

If we are to have lockdown again it's more likely to happen where clusters happens than a nationwide lockdown.

macdanger2

• View Profile
« Reply #7088 on: August 02, 2020, 10:05:26 PM »
https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0802/1156974-ireland-coronavirus/

Earlier today, the Minister for Health said the Government will introduce random testing at airports because the "international situation is becoming more volatile

Is there any benefit to random testing? With the infection rate so low it seems pointless. Is it just for PR purposes?

Smurfy123

• View Profile
« Reply #7089 on: August 02, 2020, 10:10:27 PM »
Australia had little or no cases for a long time whilst doing a lockdown. They open up and now have a strict lockdown. If we can keep cases to around 50/75 a day I think that will be ok. The big big big difference now is most people getting it are young and healthy so itís not hospitalising to many. Thatís the reality of it.

RadioGAAGAA

• View Profile
« Reply #7090 on: August 02, 2020, 10:58:42 PM »

Its not shops/transport.

Its pubs and parties that seems to be doing the bulk of the damage. Drunk people doing stupid things.
i usse an speelchekor

6th sam

• View Profile
« Reply #7091 on: August 02, 2020, 11:34:41 PM »
Australia had little or no cases for a long time whilst doing a lockdown. They open up and now have a strict lockdown. If we can keep cases to around 50/75 a day I think that will be ok. The big big big difference now is most people getting it are young and healthy so itís not hospitalising to many. Thatís the reality of it.

Itís very interesting that the scientific message remains focussed on the virus. We really need more data on the effects of various levels of lockdown. If we commit to protecting the vulnerable , and optimising workable small sacrifices like distancing, masks, hygiene , tracing , we could stay on top of things, and avoid another lockdown . Those that want sports, club gyms, pubs etc closed , should remember that at least these are regulated environments that have significant social benefit,  as opposed to house parties , increased off-licence alcohol, unregulated gyms . Never mind the diseases related to inactivity, isolation and poverty
The death rate needs to be explored, You can not equate the impact of a death in a very frail person who is terminally ill and happy  to die, with a mother of 4 in her 40s with a delayed cancer diagnosis.
Itís ironic that in a planet that has ever increasing levels of knowledge and technology, science appears to have fared  badly in terms of minimising the effect of this virus .

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7092 on: August 02, 2020, 11:40:02 PM »

As long as they donít have underlying conditions these young ones, as you put it, theyíll be fine, or pass it on
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

ONeill

• Shoving Connie Around The Room
    • View Profile
« Reply #7093 on: August 02, 2020, 11:46:54 PM »

Agree with this. Protecting the elderly is paramount. I see they're considering over 50s as dangerously vulnerable. Feel sorry for Hardy and brokencrossbar etc/
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Smurfy123

• View Profile
« Reply #7094 on: August 02, 2020, 11:53:44 PM »
Pass it onto who milltown?