Author Topic: China Coronavirus  (Read 731378 times)

Itchy

• View Profile
Re: China Coronavirus
« Reply #14460 on: April 05, 2021, 07:54:23 PM »
0.1% of cases passed on outdoors. Something that's been known for a long time yet nphet (who it seems run the country without any hindrance) have outdoors sports and recreation banned. This is why they should be them off prime time tv and instead reporting to government.

Rossfan

• Ballaghaderreen CO ROSCOMMON
    • View Profile
    • Roscommon County Board official website
« Reply #14461 on: April 05, 2021, 11:48:13 PM »
Decisions are made by Government.
Division 2 Champions and Connacht Champions (Minor)

Evil Genius

• View Profile
« Reply #14462 on: April 05, 2021, 11:58:31 PM »
Very good news from the US this week, with a study showing the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines not only stop the development of symptoms, but they are 90% effective at stopping people getting infected at all. This is brilliant in terms of stopping all spreading of the disease.
No, thast can't be true.

After all, didn't our resident immunologist tell us all this just the other day?
You also seem to ignore the fact that evidence says vaccines do not stop contraction and transmission of Covid. They merely serve to reduce the level of severity of the virus on you.

Of course I should have known that these people were talking nonsense when they said this as far back as February:
"The Pfizer vaccine appears to slow the spread of coronavirus as well as preventing people getting seriously ill, a study at a hospital has found.

The findings support similar research by Public Health England and an Oxford-AstraZeneca study, examining whether vaccines can stop the virus spreading.

The researchers said the results were a 'genuine good news story' but warned that other precautionary measures were still required to combat the virus."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56211755

"Appears to" is extremely definitive alright.
No, your "vaccines do not stop contraction and transmission of Covid" was definitive*.

And wrong.

Take eg the UK (population 68m) and France (pop. 65m).

Last Thursday France recorded just over 50k new Covid cases, while the UK had just under 5k. Since then, the UK figure has fallen consistently to just 2,762 today (05 April), making a 33% fall over the last 7 days, while France recorded 67k cases on 04 April. I can't find exactly corresponding data, but France's transmission rate had risen by over 30% over 14 days, with the rise appearing to be exponential:
https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/Coronavirus-Daily-updates-on-the-situation-in-France
https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

Of course there are many reasons to explain this disparity, but the differing rates of vaccination must be the major factor:
France - 1st jab: 9.3m, 2nd jab: 3.1m;
UK - 1st jab: 31.6m, 2nd jab: 5.4m.

* There can be no gradations of "definitive" btw, something either is or it isn't.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14463 on: April 06, 2021, 12:06:37 AM »
Angelo will give us a true picture of this, and smurphy will tell us it’s seasonal and France are still in their winter period
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

Itchy

• View Profile
« Reply #14464 on: April 06, 2021, 09:09:04 AM »
Decisions are made by Government.

You dont understand how this works. If you delegate to the most conservative, blinkered, one topic advisor group to attend daily the most watched news in the country and give their single  topic narrow opinion then this makes it pretty much impossible for you as a leader to overrule. But you are right, the buck stops with government and in particular Irelands worst ever Taoiseach. And BTW the job of NPHET is to give that single topic narrow view. The job of government is to weigh it up against all the other views that are out there. The later the government are failing miserably to do.

Hound

• View Profile
« Reply #14465 on: April 06, 2021, 10:05:47 AM »
0.1% of cases passed on outdoors. Something that's been known for a long time yet nphet (who it seems run the country without any hindrance) have outdoors sports and recreation banned. This is why they should be them off prime time tv and instead reporting to government.
Where are you getting that 0.1% figure from itchy?

Tomas Ryan, who is in favour of a zero Covid policy, said on Dunphy’s podcast that it makes absolutely no sense that children are back in school indoors, but that outdoor Easter camps are banned.

I didn’t think the % was that low though. I thought that the British variant was more capable of transmission outdoors than the pre-Christmas one

Itchy

• View Profile
« Reply #14466 on: April 06, 2021, 10:25:54 AM »
Where are you getting that 0.1% figure from itchy?

Tomas Ryan, who is in favour of a zero Covid policy, said on Dunphy’s podcast that it makes absolutely no sense that children are back in school indoors, but that outdoor Easter camps are banned.

I didn’t think the % was that low though. I thought that the British variant was more capable of transmission outdoors than the pre-Christmas one

Reported widely in the media past few days...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/outdoor-transmission-accounts-for-0-1-of-state-s-covid-19-cases-1.4529036
https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/calls-to-allow-open-air-dining-and-sports-after-figures-show-just-01pc-of-covid-cases-linked-to-outdoor-transmission-40278494.html

By all accounts that data has been around a lot longer than that too from the US and other countries.

Wildweasel74

• View Profile
« Reply #14467 on: April 07, 2021, 12:02:22 PM »
How many men here been vaccinated already? Got the first jab a month ago. Sore arm next day, but like the normal flu jab I get each Yr. Don't understand the point of view of anti vacs, as we all got the triple booster when younger for tetanus, polio, etc. If you sick u at the doctors looking antibiotics / medical steroids to improve your health. How's getting this injection 💉 any different.

Angelo

• View Profile
« Reply #14468 on: April 07, 2021, 12:11:25 PM »
How many men here been vaccinated already? Got the first jab a month ago. Sore arm next day, but like the normal flu jab I get each Yr. Don't understand the point of view of anti vacs, as we all got the triple booster when younger for tetanus, polio, etc. If you sick u at the doctors looking antibiotics / medical steroids to improve your health. How's getting this injection 💉 any different.

Being worried about a novel vaccine created in a very short time space is not anti-vax.

The AZ vaccine has been associated with blood clotting and deaths all over Europe. People are right to be cautious about it and that does not make them anti-vax.

For u40s the vaccine is arguably as much a danger as Covid.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #14469 on: April 07, 2021, 12:13:07 PM »

Got the jab yesterday.
Like you weasel a bit of a sore arm today but nothing else.

I can assure you if there was a vaccine passport introduced for foreign travel or restaurants etc all of these people saying they wouldnt get it would be in the queue looking it.

Lets see how strong their 'beliefs' are then

GetOverTheBar

• View Profile
« Reply #14470 on: April 07, 2021, 12:15:43 PM »
No vaccine for me....too young, whilst you elderly prance around enjoying life and breaking the rules.

Terrible!

Was going to post as is....maybe better to point out I'm joking here.

JoG2

• View Profile
« Reply #14471 on: April 07, 2021, 01:51:11 PM »

Got the jab yesterday.

I can assure you if there was a vaccine passport introduced for foreign travel or restaurants etc all of these people saying they wouldnt get it would be in the queue looking it.

Few outside Derry City will know of our infamous GP Anne McCloskey. The lady is clearly unhinged, but has quite a following online which makes her and her beliefs quite dangerous. She is now telling her followers that the vaccine is being used to eliminate community and family bonds / units by altering genes and dna.
And you're right Taylor, we'll see how principled the anti-vaxx crew are when it comes to holidaying abroad.

Tony Baloney

• View Profile
« Reply #14472 on: April 07, 2021, 02:11:28 PM »
1st Pfizer in me weeks ago and back for the 2nd in 4 weeks. Didn't even have the sore arm. Brother in law had the AZ and felt a bit rubbish for a couple of days but grand thereafter.

GetOverTheBar

• View Profile
« Reply #14473 on: April 07, 2021, 02:22:11 PM »

Got the jab yesterday.

You realise that is coercing people into taking something they don't want to take?

The rights and wrongs aside, I've said many times I will take the vaccination, I am not anti Vaxx or pushing any agenda but we cannot force people to put something into their bodies they don't want to. It is against everything the free world stands for.

There must be an education and defeat of that mindset by data, science and time.....This notion of passports and mandatory vaccination is very, very dangerous. It's how democracy starts to slip into authoritarianism. I don't think we should be encouraging this type of thing whatsoever.

What would be next for example?

JoG2

• View Profile
« Reply #14474 on: April 07, 2021, 02:27:49 PM »

Got the jab yesterday.

You realise that is coercing people into taking something they don't want to take?

The rights and wrongs aside, I've said many times I will take the vaccination, I am not anti Vaxx or pushing any agenda but we cannot force people to put something into their bodies they don't want to. It is against everything the free world stands for.

There must be an education and defeat of that mindset by data, science and time.....This notion of passports and mandatory vaccination is very, very dangerous. It's how democracy starts to slip into authoritarianism. I don't think we should be encouraging this type of thing whatsoever.

What would be next for example?

Take the word 'restaurant' out of the text, and it's nothing new. I can't see the introduction of a vaccine passport for anything beyond foreign travel. Have you seen the list of vaccines required when applying for a Green Card? South East Asia, African travel etc demand vaccines. No difference imo with this only its on a wider scale