Poll

What will be makeup of the next government?

FF/SD/Lab/Green
FG/SD/Lab/Green
FG/FF
FF/Green
FG/Independents
FG/Independents
FG/Green
FF/SF
FF/Green/Independents
FF Minority
FG Minority
FG/SF
FF/Lab/Green
FF/Lab
FF/Lab/Green/Independents

Author Topic: 26 County General Election 2020  (Read 79386 times)

Main Street

• View Profile
Re: 26 County General Election 2020
« Reply #1155 on: February 13, 2020, 08:51:03 PM »
Probably unique  that both  FG and FF admit they are ideologically screwed and haven't any positivity about their ability to make inroads into the issues most people are concerned about. They both want time out.

manfromdelmonte

• View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: February 13, 2020, 09:19:53 PM »
Back on subject FF decide not to have talks with SF about Government formation.
They will talk to others though.

They could probably put smacht on SF in Government though.
FFG would be more risky for them. SF outside the tent pissing in

There are no simple solutions. House prices have to come down but owners won't agree. That is the problem with asset bubbles.
It's a shortage of supply issue

Cannot see houses dropping in price for 4-5 years plus

A huge issue is the distances people are having to travel for work.

Aaron Boone

• View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: February 13, 2020, 09:44:21 PM »

There are no simple solutions. House prices have to come down but owners won't agree. That is the problem with asset bubbles.

Dublin yes. Cork, Limerick etc?

Tubberman

• View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: February 13, 2020, 10:18:55 PM »

House prices dropped in 2019
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Itchy

• View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: February 13, 2020, 10:30:45 PM »
I wonder if the suspect in the mary boyle case was a Sinn Fein member would the media still ignore it. What di you think lads?

RTÉ produced a documentary on it. And I don't even see comparison between the cases other than 2 innocent people were murdered brutally

That's true. The quinn murder was not carried out by a sinn fein member but one member suggested Quinn was a criminal. That's case mo 1.

In case no 2 a FF representative covered up the kidnap and murder of a small child.

So yes, they are certainly different.

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: February 14, 2020, 07:48:02 AM »
I wonder if the suspect in the mary boyle case was a Sinn Fein member would the media still ignore it. What di you think lads?

RTÉ produced a documentary on it. And I don't even see comparison between the cases other than 2 innocent people were murdered brutally

That's true. The quinn murder was not carried out by a sinn fein member but one member suggested Quinn was a criminal. That's case mo 1.

In case no 2 a FF representative covered up the kidnap and murder of a small child.

If Shinners want to score points they should focus on economic issues rather than Mary Boyle.
FF blew up the economy in 2009
FG caused the housing crisis.

Lookit

Rossfan

• Ballaghaderreen CO ROSCOMMON
    • View Profile
    • Roscommon County Board official website
« Reply #1161 on: February 14, 2020, 08:49:02 AM »
The irony... Mícheál Martin wants to keep SF out of Government to stop them "destroying the Country".
1 BIG CUP and 1 Cupeen so far....

Angelo

• View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: February 14, 2020, 09:23:30 AM »

If Shinners want to score points they should focus on economic issues rather than Mary Boyle.

It's not a case of scoring points. SF never tried to shoehorn Mary Boyle in as an election issue - it just shows how low FG/FF and the establishment will sink.

Jim_Murphy_74

• View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: February 14, 2020, 09:43:38 AM »
That's true. The quinn murder was not carried out by a sinn fein member but one member suggested Quinn was a criminal.

Maybe it's a best case for Sinn Féin that people are discussing the latter.   

If some in media listened to the Quinns or looked back over media in the last 13 years they might draw a very different conclusion about the former.

/Jim.

five points

• View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: February 14, 2020, 09:50:44 AM »

Totally unproven. And in an era when several Taoisigh had their political careers blighted or prematurely ended by Garda scandals, the idea that a mickey mouse councillor and failed MEP candidate in Donegal could have bullied the Gardai into covering up the murder of a child and gotten away with it for 30+ years doesn't bear the slightest scrutiny.

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: February 14, 2020, 10:03:27 AM »
https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/stephen-collins-ff-and-fg-have-duty-to-form-government-1.4172829

For a start, the policy differences between Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil on fundamental economic issues are minimal and amount to differences of emphasis more than anything else. Even a cursory analysis of their election manifestos shows how close they are.
Both parties have suffered a loss of seats but that is no reason to walk off the pitch and hand power to people they believe will wreck the economy and damage our international standing

Of course opposition looks like an attractive option to politicians who have suffered a severe rebuff for having done what most outside observers would regard as a reasonably good job running the country for the past four years but walking away from their responsibilities would be far worse.

The main objection both parties have is that it would allow Sinn Féin to build even further in opposition and be in a position to come to power with its left-wing allies after the next election. That is a risk worth taking given that the future is impossible to predict

https://www.ft.com/content/26a7a74e-4d8a-11ea-95a0-43d18ec715f5

According to an exit poll published on Saturday, some 63 per cent of voters said they did not feel they had benefited from an improvement in the economy.

The housing shortage is a particular concern, especially among the under-35s. A recent study by the Central Bank of Ireland showed that only one new dwelling was built for every seven additional people in the population between 2011 and 2019. Rents have increased by 40 per cent in the past five years, while average earnings have grown by just 14 per cent
Lookit

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

• View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: February 14, 2020, 10:16:57 AM »

It's not a case of scoring points. SF never tried to shoehorn Mary Boyle in as an election issue - it just shows how low FG/FF and the establishment will sink.

The Boyles have not been asking FF for answers for the last 45 years. Bury your argument its ridiculous at this stage. Baa Baa Baa. I am a robot lol

Rossfan

• Ballaghaderreen CO ROSCOMMON
    • View Profile
    • Roscommon County Board official website
« Reply #1167 on: February 14, 2020, 10:48:40 AM »
Whataboutery!!
1 BIG CUP and 1 Cupeen so far....

Itchy

• View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: February 14, 2020, 11:07:48 AM »

The "shinners" never brought up Mary Boyle. I was simply demonstrating the media bias towards FF and FG, nothing else.

trueblue1234

• View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: February 14, 2020, 11:16:54 AM »

The Boyles have not been asking FF for answers for the last 45 years. Bury your argument its ridiculous at this stage. Baa Baa Baa. I am a robot lol

Reluctant as I am to step into this. This isn't true.

Mary Boyle was six when she disappeared from her grandparents’ home outside Ballyshannon in Co Donegal, on March 18th, 1977. Hers is Ireland’s longest-running missing-child case, and she has been described in the Guardian as “Ireland’s Madeleine McCann”.

Her twin, Ann Doherty, who has travelled to Stormont, Westminster, Brussels and Washington DC in her campaign, has been accompanied over the past two years by journalist Gemma O’Doherty.

On April 26th they met Fianna Fáil leader Micheál Martin for almost two hours in Leinster House. He was accompanied by one of the party’s new TDs, barrister Jim O’Callaghan. They were also accompanied by Margo O’Donnell, sister of the singer Daniel.

Ann says she and her family know who killed Mary. She says the man, who is alive still, was well known to her and her twin. She says during the course of the 1977 investigation that a politician called the investigating gardaí and told them not to arrest or further question the chief suspect. She says her faith in the gardaí to bring the case to a truthful conclusion is gone.

Ann, Margo and Gemma urged Martin to initiate a Dáil debate on the serious allegations about the Garda handling of the case, and to support their call for an inquest into Mary’s death.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit