Poll

What will be makeup of the next government?

FF/SD/Lab/Green
FG/SD/Lab/Green
FG/FF
FF/Green
FG/Independents
FG/Independents
FG/Green
FF/SF
FF/Green/Independents
FF Minority
FG Minority
FG/SF
FF/Lab/Green
FF/Lab
FF/Lab/Green/Independents

Author Topic: 26 County General Election 2020  (Read 61066 times)

Itchy

• View Profile
Re: 26 County General Election 2020
« Reply #1410 on: June 30, 2020, 09:50:50 AM »
Well done to Micheál Martin who had the pleasure of nominating the first Traveller Eileen Flynn to the Senate, one of 11 nominated,
 his only non-party political nominee.
'Ms Flynn is a community development worker with the National Traveller Women's Forum.
She is also a human rights activist who has campaigned on several social issues including homelessness; same-sex marriage, abortion and hate crime.The Women's Council of Ireland and Traveller's rights campaign group Pavee Point have both hailed her appointment as "historic".
In a series of tweets after her nomination, Ms Flynn said: "I have worked all my life to break barriers and challenge inequality."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53212504

Reminds me of the black kid in Southpark.
I haven't a clue what that means as I haven't watched any of Southpark, but if you choose to let an American tv cartoon  drama define your social outlook then good luck to you.

Southpark is a social satire in many ways, I wouldnt call it a cartoon. But Capt Pat is correct. What has FF or FG ever done for travellers? Nominating one to a useless place like the Seanad is tokenism. 12 men and 4 women at the cabinet table is a much better reflection of the reality of todays government.

Main Street

• View Profile
Re: 26 County General Election 2020
« Reply #1411 on: June 30, 2020, 12:43:20 PM »
Well done to Micheál Martin who had the pleasure of nominating the first Traveller Eileen Flynn to the Senate, one of 11 nominated,
 his only non-party political nominee.
'Ms Flynn is a community development worker with the National Traveller Women's Forum.
She is also a human rights activist who has campaigned on several social issues including homelessness; same-sex marriage, abortion and hate crime.The Women's Council of Ireland and Traveller's rights campaign group Pavee Point have both hailed her appointment as "historic".
In a series of tweets after her nomination, Ms Flynn said: "I have worked all my life to break barriers and challenge inequality."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53212504

Reminds me of the black kid in Southpark.
I haven't a clue what that means as I haven't watched any of Southpark, but if you choose to let an American tv cartoon  drama define your social outlook then good luck to you.

Southpark is a social satire in many ways, I wouldnt call it a cartoon. But Capt Pat is correct. What has FF or FG ever done for travellers? Nominating one to a useless place like the Seanad is tokenism. 12 men and 4 women at the cabinet table is a much better reflection of the reality of todays government.
The fact that the nomination is reported in a very detailed article in the european edition of the BBC world news is significant in itself. In racist Ireland the first Traveller has made it to the Senate.
In the article there are indicators that it's a well deserved merited hard earned nomination   and she will pump it for all its worth.
She herself is more than qualified and "she stood for election to the Seanad earlier this year and very narrowly missed out on a seat. Next time around she has a better chance to get elected herself or/and go fo a Dail seat as well.

The article mentions a published seanad report earlier this year  into Travellers experience of "stigma, longstanding prejudice, discrimination, racism, social exclusion and identity erosion".
'The report's first recommendation was to "reserve a seat in the Seanad for Travellers in the form of a taoiseach's nominee'.

Last time around Varadkar nominated a northern Unionist as is/was tradition (nominate a northerer). The media speculation this time  centred around which northerner MM would nominate. I assume something was altered in Michael Martin's considerations, the token northern ambassador was dropped and  Eileen was nominated instead.